“Best choice and extremely good value” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
City Park Apartments
Ranked #105 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
London, United Kingdom
“Best choice and extremely good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

City park is high up on the hill above Brisbane. But don't think you are not central, there is a free bus that stops a block away and takes you to/from the city center very often, all day long. And if you want to walk you are about 20 minutes from town. The rooms are very spacious, and the kitchens are well outfitted. These apartments are much larger than expected. And the beds are very very comfortable.
There are very few staff, so you will get to know the people in charge pretty fast- and probably become good friends if you stay long enough. The willingness to assist and tell you about all of the events going on in the city really makes your stay a breeze.
When something does go wrong, staff fix the problem right away. Our TV died one day, and within 20 minutes we had a new one taken from an unused room.
I highly recommend City Park.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RonGibson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The apartment was ok but the decor was a bit dated and in need of some serious upgrade. The seats on the balcony were broken and unusable but the apartment was in a good location (10 mins walk to the city) and parking is available. I had heard good things about these apartments but my experience was quite the opposite.

I accidentally left some clothes in the washing machine and phoned the manager immediately on my departure to reach the answering machine. The lady eventually got back to me and said she found them ... I offered to pay for express postage but she refused to accept the money saying: 'they will send it & i would have to pay for it at my end'. That was good so long as I got the items.

I waited a over a month and still had not received the parcel. I phoned the manager back and got the answering machine again leaving a polite message to indicate I had not received my parcel. Needless to say she did not get back to me. I waited a few days and tried again to eventually get through to her and was scolded: 'you keep phoning and I am about to get married - I will post it tomorrow' she then slammed the phone down on me.

I have not received my clothes and am doubtful if I will. Her attitude ruined the whole experience and i would recommend staying somewhere where your business is welcome. Reading through past trip advisor post I am not the only one who has received this service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jane S
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed in this third floor apartment for two nights over a weekend. There was a lift and the apartment had a view across the reasonably busy road to parklands but was very quiet at night. The rooms were pleasantly furnished and the kitchen had all necessary equipment in good condition. The beds were comfortable. Walking into the city took about fifteen minutes through the mix of historical Queensland houses, hospitals, apartments and offices that is Spring Hill. Being Brisbane, the walk involved quite a few steep hills but there is a bus service very close. Secure, undercover car parking is included in the tariff.
We only saw the proprietors at checkout and reception is only open for a limited time each day and I would suggest that they make a city map available in the apartment so that guests can find their way into the city. There were good instructions to find shops and cafes in the area. The location is convenient to many of the Brisbane attractions, especially if you have a car. A convenient base for an extended visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed for three nights in a 1 bedroom apartment during the winter - this place was great. It got a little chilly outside which is unusual in Brisbane, so I was pleased to be able to stay toasty. Secure car parking in the basement was included in the price, a big consideration for me. Central but quiet, a 10 minute walk to the lights of town. Friendly staff, all was good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Surrey, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We wife and I stayed at the City Park Apartments for 5 nights in March, while visiting friends who emigrated from the UK to Brisbane several years ago.

We stayed in a 1 bed apartment (flat 20) for £91/night which seemed fantastic value for the facilities. The room had a large balcony with table & chairs, a well equipped kitchen with fridge, cooker, dishwasher, washing machine & tumble dryer. Pleased to find that all the room was stocked with things like dish washer tablets, washing up liquid & washing powder. Towels were also provided for the bathroom.

The block has a secure underground garage, which we didn't use, and a swimming pool, but this was a disappointment - tried to use it but the water was cold and the surface covered in leaves.

The office was staffed every morning by a very friendly husband & wife team. On our first day we reported a few initial problems and requests which they resolved the same day – cleaning the balcony, providing hairdryer & scissors, a plug for sink, replacing a light bulb in a lamp.

Location of the block is convenient for the city, with the free city loop bus stopping a street away, but we also found it was very pleasant to walk into city centre through very attractive Roma Street Gardens.

Providing you're not expecting hotel type service, then this is a great value well equipped apartment.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
St Kilda, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Brisbane’s City Park Apartments are in a good spot – right on Spring Hill Victoria Park – and a pretty good value for money. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t go back, as I got the sense that the proprietors really don’t like having guests, as guests might muck up the place.

We had booked a studio, so were pleased to find they had assigned us a two-bedroom/tw0-bathroom unit. After we spread out and showered we dicovered a note left on the kitchen benchtop that instructed that we were to use only one bedroom and one bathroom. Oops! We had already showered in each bathroom.

In the morning, I was quizzed on this at the front desk, and when I admitted that we had used both bathroom before seeing the note, I was roundly scolded: “You only paid for a studio, what did you think?” What I thought was that in my life I had been upgraded to larger suite dozens of times, but never, ever, had I been told to use only half!

This “litle thing” put me off the whole stay. The proprietor turned a big positive – a substantial upgrade – into a significant negative, adding a guilt trip to boot.

But then, looking around the partment, I realised that the place was littered with subtle threats, for instance, about surcharges if we didn’t take out the rubbish, used too mauch water, or didn’t “clean the kitchen”.

Anyway, for the cost it wasn’t a bad place, although the locks were wonky, the fridge seal didn’t seal , the louvers around the washer/dryer were caked with a lot of dust, and the loungeroom carpet had a distinct musty odour.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SmilingKodiak
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Decent roomy apartment in a slightly out of the way location. The decor looks a bit dated, too much carpet and heavy fabric for such a hot city.

Air conditioning was great. Shower was ok but shower a bit feeble. Also only changing the towels once a week seems odd considering you need to shower twice a day in Brisbane heat. Also some really tough conditions for extra charges - not emptying your bin, not 'tidying the apartment' etc.

The reception staff were great, very friendly, but only there a few hours a day.

Would recommend if you want an unattended apartment stay, but if you need hotel style servicing like getting your bed made and towels changed then you'll need to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get one high up at the back to avoid road noise and noise from other apartment balconies