“iThink Not”
Review of iStay River City

iStay River City
Ranked #35 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 17 August 2014

- We booked & paid for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment but was given one with only 1 bathroom as "all 2 bath apartments have been taken". I had booked 2 weeks in advance and no one bothered to mention this detail, despite the fact that the booking website showed a 2 bathroom apartment being available. They just happily overcharged us and took our money.
- The apartment was advertised as 4.5 stars but is no where near it!! More like a 3 star!
- The reception ladies at check in were not friendly and wanted to charge for one extra towel.. despite our already downgraded apartment.
- The apartment also had a horrible musty smell and I woke up with a cough.
- The sofa was so dilapidated.. I don't know what it was doing there.. it was dirty, had holes on it and was missing a back support.
- There was also no kettle...... but lots of tea/coffee sachets.. hmm.
- On the positive side, the views from apartment 2406 are amazing and the beds were pretty comfy.
- Lastly, I commend the young man at check out for his composure, ability to multi task and fast work pace, despite being the only staff on this morning and checking out at least a dozen groups as I waited in line to do the same.

Room Tip: Ring them up to confirm your booking and don't let them rip you off!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel M, Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback Samie on your recent stay and I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay as you should have done.
I have passed your comments onto the reservation manager to clarify what is being advertised on the Agoda website where you booked through. Unfortunately due to the set up of the building only 50% of our 2 bedroom apartments have 2 bathrooms and normally the 2 bathroom option is not guaranteed. It is not a case of being downgraded or upgraded as the apartment you are allocated is simply dependent on what is available however we do take all requests into consideration.
I have passed your comments onto the Housekeeping Manager to address the missing kettle and musty smell - this is an unusual occurence.
We are currently working on refurbishing all the units which include replacement of sofa's and are at the tale end of this project - Unit 2406 unfortunately is one of the last units.
I note your comments regarding the front desk staff and will provide feedback to them accordingly.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Istay Rivercity to experience our normal standard of apartments and I ask that you contact myself direct to arrange for your next stay.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Location was perfect for Brisbane, and a good rate compared to hotels in the immediate area. Having a small apartment was perfect after being in hotels for a week. Furnishings were basic but comfortable. With eating out being very expensive compared to the US, having a kitchen to eat in saved us quite a bit of money. Having a clothes washer and dryer in the unit was very convenience. The staff was friendly and super helpful!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed it.
I have passed your valuable comments onto the front desk and housekeeping team and we look forward to welcoming you back to IStay Rivercity or another Oaks apartment complex in the future.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

stayed here for one night in June. One bedroom unit was average, needed a bit of a face lift. Position is good for shopping etc. Hallway smelt like garbage, from the rubbish shutes I'm assuming. Nice big balcony though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I note your comments regarding the unit.
We are working on refreshing all the units and hope that when you return for another stay you will notice the difference.
I have passed your comments regarding the rubbish smell onto the Facilities Manager to investigate further.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed for the weekend with our family for our daughters graduation. The location was good and it was easy to walk to wherever in the Mall you wanted to go and also you could walk across to Southbank.
The 2 bedroom unit was good and had all the facilities that we required. I was also happy to see fans in the bedrooms as I have trouble sleeping and the fans if you can't sleep in total silence.

The young lady at reception was really helpful, we had travelled a reasonable distance and arrived before our check in time. The young lady allocated us a room earlier so at least we could get ready on time for the graduation. She went out of her way to do everything possible to help, I was impressed by her professionalism.

There is also a good coffee shop right under the Motel.

I would recommend this place and stay here again.

Room Tip: The motel doesn't have shampoo, but it does say this on the booking print. Overall the place wa...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Hotel M, Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your valuable feedback on your recent stay. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our service and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed for one night on way back home. Had two bedroom apartment on the 23rd floor. Easy location to access. Had a rental car so had to stop out front to get the key and check in but there was plenty of space in the loading and 10 minute parking out the front. Car park is accessed around the corner but elevators take you straight to your floor. Room was spacious. Second room was locked when we entered apartment but called reception and they came up fairly quickly and unlocked it (it had forgotten to be done by housekeeping). Had requested twin beds in one room but it had been made as a king. Rectified this ourselves as it was only one night (not sure if it was hotel or agent that booked the room who had forgotten about the twin beds). Only get one towel each and no amenities and small towels/hand towels etc but as only staying one night it was fine (you pay to get anything else). Good location just down from Queen Street Mall so easy to find a nice restaurant when we went out to eat. Would recommend if you are passing through.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Matty,
Thanks for the review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and happy that our parking facilites allowed a stress free start to your break, I can appreciate city parking can be difficult.
I-Stay's model is to keep the price per night as low as possible for our guests, which is why there are less amenities than serviced hotel rooms, but as you mentioned, you can certainly get extra towels etc from reception for a small cost should you wish.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to I-Stay River City soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was only a quick weekend trip, but I was extremely happy with this accommodation. The apartment is massive, beds are really comfy, lots of hot water, great views and helpful front desk staff. Would definitely return for a longer stay next time

Room Tip: Room 4103 was amazing - top floor with 180 degree views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Hotel M, Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
I have passed your comments onto the front desk and housekeeping teams and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rivercity or another Oaks property in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Pretty tough to give this any better score. Very basic accommodation, unhelpful staff and the sofa had no cushions. When queried the answer was, they were being cleaned. Convenient for the next guest perhaps but pointless for me. I stay in a lot of accommodation and this rates like a country motor inn.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Hotel M, Manager at iStay River City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay.
I have investigated into the missing sofa cushions and can confirm that the cushions had indeed been sent for the regular cleaning but that the room was not supposed to be sold that night.
I do sincerley apologise for the communication / system error that resulted in you being placed into the incorrect room and have dealt with the staff members accordingly in relation to that mistake and the service you received.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to one of the Oaks Hotels in the future and ask that you contact me directly at the hotel so I can personally deal with your accommodation booking.
Kind regards.