“Value for money”

Minto Colonial Hostel
Ranked #78 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 17 November 2012

A good and excellent guest house with all the facilities. I stayed in this guest house and found lot of fun in it. The owner of this guest house is really polite and he always takes care of his guests. He is available for the assistance round the clock. I felt like at home when I stayed in this guest house. Location of the guest house is close by main shopping centers and South Bank Train Station. A good guest house to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Suninlight

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I loved this place! Funky building only 10 mins walk from South Bank, Brisbane with all the cafes and shops and links to other parts of the city.

River trips and ferries just down the road.

The place has a good communal kitchen, outside deck and shared lounge room. Friendly people and very informal. The room was small but functional and clean with good hot showers (shared bathroom but plenty of them). Washing machine and drying area.

All in all great place if you're travelling on a low budget or alone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Chandramoon
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I visited Brisbane for a weekend recently, and trying to find budget accommodation wasn't easy. Minto Student House looked great, but not having stayed in backpacker-style accommodation for a while, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I was pleasantly surprised. My room was comfortable and the street noise I noticed on arrival died down at night, so even being at the front of the house wasn't a problem. The verandah out the front proved to be a great spot to sit in a morning when the sun's streaming in on it.

The location, a little out of the CBD, is great. A very short walk to the South Bank train station (ignore Google Maps; take Brook Street to walk between the house and the station).

This place is great for independent travellers. I had no idea who in the building was a guest and who was running the place, so if I'd needed any help I'd have found it difficult to find it. But with everything provided and with the place so well organised, it was great.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank trevar
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed here because I was attending a conference in south bank and Minto house proved to be a perfect fit for me. Upon arriving I phoned the owner who came straight away to show me to my room in their annexe house about 200m away. If the words 'let me show you to our annexe building' fill you with dread after one to many let downs then please clear your mind because Minto's annexe house is lovely, smaller than the main house and has a pool. Guests are free to come and go from both houses. The houses incidentally are lovely classic Queenslanders, bright and airy and full of charm. I stayed in a double room for a week and was so happy I decided to stay there instead of a hotel. The kitchen is well equipped and I had my own little bar fridge in my room. There is a bus stop 10m from the main house, so 2 minute walk from the annexe, it will take you directly to the convention centre/ main bus interchange/ south bank, if you do not want to do the 20 minute walk down the hill. Getting there from the airport is so easy; take the train to South Brisbane station, cross the road to the cultural centre bus interchange and get on the 196 bus to stop 10 (just past the shops on gladstone rd).

There have been some negative comments about the owner in some reveiws, I had no problems at all. His manner of speaking may be a bit gruff but he was nothing but helpful in pointing out everything I needed to know for the stay. I did not see him (or anyone else) again for the duration of my stay but a number was available if I had needed. In summary I think Minto house fills that gap for those of us who are weary of the 'party' hostel atmosphere and just want a nice, budget friendly base for our travels.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Shanflan
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Myself and a girlfriend stayed at Minto recently when we were travelling up the coast of Queensland - we chose Minto because it was a little different fro the other offerings in Brisbane and gave us a chance to be more in touch with real Australia, it was still close enough to everything that we needed, when we needed it but gave us the opportunity to have some more chilled out time, rather than being stuck in a big noisy hostel full of drunken idiots. The staff were really nice and gave us some great tips about the local area and fun things to do while we were there - they even gave us some good restaurant recommendations and cool places to go for a great night out - not just an expensive/ touristy night out! This makes all the difference I think when you come to a city like Brisbane... I think that as a traveller you can never really make the most of your trip unless someone points you in the right direction to where the real fun and beauty is at, otherwise you end up just doing the same old boring stuff that every other tourist out there is doing! We saw some great live music in the local area, ventured into town and across to the more touristy but very lovely Southbank which is also very close. The rooms at Minto were simple but lovely, the house that they are in is absolutely stunning - an old style house which has been done up beautifully and looks very historical and fits in really nicely with the area that it's in - we were very happy there for four nights and would have loved to have stayed longer as it definitely feels like a home away from home but we were only on a short trip!! Thank you Minto for helping us make the most of Brisbane!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This place is great, old style queenslander house. 25 min walk from the city. Single room which wasn't exactly cheap however fast and free wifi, clean house, good facilities. I have sat in the living room watching tv for 2 hours alone, none of the hustle and bustle of the normal big city hostels. Fridge in room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We have stayed at minto more than 3 times in the mast year. it is a beautiful place, great old style queenslander which is very tastfully decorated and set-up. i would recommnd this place, it is run by great people, who are always happy to give great local knowledge and advise. very well situated close to the CBD of brisbane and easily accessible to the airport etc. lastly we will be back as we know that for price and comfort we dont even need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business