“Evening Meal”
Review of The Colmslie Hotel

The Colmslie Hotel
Ranked #9 of 62 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had a lovely meal there again and the staff and the cooks were helpful. My husband has a medical problem when it comes to eating and the went out of their way to provide a small but nourishing meal. I was able to choose a nice wine that set off my meal Sweet lip and covered in a garnish of bacon and cabbage which was also very tasteful

Room Tip: The dining room is spacious
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed over the weekend whilst at a conference.

The location is not in central Brisbane but if you have a car you are very close to the Gateway motorway and about 10 mins to Fortitude Valley (in the other direction).

There are two supermarkets next to the Colmslie hotel which makes it handy for getting last minute groceries you may have forgotten to packed.

We stayed in a corner King suite which was very spacious and well decorated. The bathroom was huge.

A minor detraction was that the table and the chair in the room was significantly unstable. It was bad enough that you would not want to put a glass on the table or put to much weight on the chair.

The bed was very firm (but comfortable) and the king bed was actually two single beds pushed together with a topper. Pillows were great.

The staff and customer service was excellent. From letting us check in early (for an additional fee) and checking out later (for another additional fee) they were quick and efficient.

* as a side note* we left a baby bottle behind when we checked out and the cleaning staff returned it to reception whom contacted me and arranged to mail it back to us (for just the cost of postage).

We would definitely consider this property again when we are next in Brisvegas and have a car.

(ample covered free parking)

Room Tip: 1) Local Saturday market up the road was a great gem. 2) Ask for a room in a high floor and away fr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

As the title suggest I stayed here for business, two nights. This is not the first time I've stayed here. The rooms are relatively modern. Quite clean, quiet, generous size and comfortable.

It is a little hard to justify the price of not just the room but also in the bar when you consider it's location. But the lack of other options in the area made it the only real choice.

Overall the stay was nice but numerous little things (none so big as for me to complain) took the shine off the stay. There was no pen in my room to fill the breakfast order out, and the order form was not replaced the next day. No spoon provided with my room service breakfast meant I used the teaspoon from the room to eat my cereal, and later a table knife provided instead of a steak knife with my dinner (steak). I found hair that was definately not mine on top of the bed after the room had been serviced. These things didn't bother me too much, but I can imagine for some it would.

The meals were fast and good. You could easily cut the steak with a table knife! The reception staff seemed quite efficient and friendly. The hotel seemed to also have something happening in their function rooms. If you want something in the Morningside area , the Colmslie is likely to satisfy you.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

OK so this was not my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice as a place to stay on my one night business trip... However thanks to a major football game & my lateness of booking this place was my last accessible, convenient option.

It's basically a mega-pub, complete with bottle shop, restaurant, bistro & a well planned, nicely separated suite of hotel rooms. A little off-putting at first with the pub lingerers out the front but all was good on arrival & the staff were FANTASTIC. This place is very accessible, amazing that in Brisbane (where it really, really rains hard) they can design barrier free intersections between pedestrian & road - best in class. I could easily troll out of my room, past the restaurant & bar & around to the bottle shop for a fine bottle of pinot grigio - not even so much as a bump... HALLELUJAH!!!

Got up to my room to find the TV was non-functional, called the front desk & got a few pointers on how to resuscitate it... all to no avail. Cut my losses & went downstairs for dinner (see other review) & asked the wonderful staff to please try & get my TV functional. Instead of the usual fob off, they tried all they knew, made phone calls, sought advice & upon my return from the restaurant all was good. HUGE thank you to EJ ( great gal on the front desk) who really carried & never tried to give me a fob off (I would employ this young lady in a heartbeat if she worked in Sydney).

This place is great for the traveller & I am sure for the party goer & her/his mates. Lots of what you need in one location & the accommodation is appropriately separated from party town so you get a goods nights sleep. Did I mention the staff are great, particularly EJ???

As for the room, modern, clean, spacious, plenty of room for a traveller in a large power wheelchair & more than one in the bathroom. One tiny criticism... when you get so much right for lads like me who use wheelchairs, why do you put the wine glasses & a bundle of other necessities up on shelves out of reach.

Will definitely come back!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed at this motel for one night and was impressed by the size of the room, plenty of room for bags ect, two decent sized chairs and a table, bed was comfy , bathroom well appointed but the towels felt and looked a bit old and tired. We has breakfast downstairs and the buffet was varied and the food was very nice. Overall a nice place to stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

As we all know, Australia is now one of the most expensive countries in the world, which goes a little way towards explaining the cost of this room in the suburbs of Brisbane.

Take into consideration that a night at the Colmslie will set you back more than a night in a four star hotel in Central London!!!! (Booking.com)

Admittedly, the room at the Colmslie was a good size, quiet room but still it's not within walking distance of any restaurants and unless you have a cable port, there's no internet ie no wireless (the cable didn't fit my Apple).

I predict the continuation of huge growth in Air BnB type sites.........

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

my firm sent me on a training course and booked me into this hotel, otherwise I would never have known about it. upon arrival the lobby was lovely and modern. room was very large and bathroom was also large, but, lack of hanging space for your towels near the shower for when you exit. the rooms were clean, just little things, like they had two cups and saucers but only one spoon, the bedside table lamps were dusty.....these two things are not a huge deal. we had room service most mornings which was HUGE and hot, again small things missing from tray each day, like the bread plate for my toast, the lack salt and pepper again the bread plate wasn't a big deal but salt and pepper was a bit of a nuisance. when we did go downstairs for breakfast it was all very nice but not a big selection.

the evening meals were wonderful and tasty. Monday and Tuesday nights were very busy nights in the restaurant and drink service was very slow if not non-existent and we had to go to the bar ourselves which I think is annoying when wanting to enjoy conversation at your table.

when we rang for extra towels etc. room service was very prompt.

apart from these things, I would return to this hotel if the case arises.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business