“Hometel away from Home...”

Spicers Balfour Hotel
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I usually stay in serviced apartments when visiting my hometown, but with a very brief long weekend planned, I chose the Spicers Balfour instead. This transformed Queenslander home in inner city New Farm was as charming as it was luxurious. Initially, I struggled to tell if it was a hotel or a B&B, as the rooms are a bit like ensuite bedrooms in a neighbourhood home!

From arrival to departure though, everything was perfect. My room was cosy, but not too small, the breakfasts (included in the roomrate) were excellent, and the staff were very friendly and obliging. The decor was funky yet functional, with high-end fixtures and luxurious bedding.

Looking forward to the opportunity to stay again.

Parking at the rear of the building was a little tight, even with my little hire car, but there was always a space available. My room was right opposite the reception so I could sometimes hear some coming and going, but it wasn't too bad...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank grahamew
There are newer reviews for Spicers Balfour Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2012

all good here...small rooms but nice location and staff

clean and very good service

a bit pricey for the size room but breakfast was excellent

wifi was sloooooooooowwwww and no lifts for baby prams or trolleys

brisbane doesn't have much to offer so this is about as good as you get on small home feel not a big hotel

Room Tip: lower floor or terrace suite if you have the cash
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mabudo_likes_travel
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed at Spicers Balfour Hotel in early July 2012. The service was exceptional. The food excellent. The design excellent. Whoever undertook the design has an excellent eye and knows what they are doing; from the Cote Bastide toiletries, the Bemboca towels and throws, the quality art and design books. Best of all were Cory and Michael, the night and day managers. Nothing was too much trouble everything they did was with a smile. QANTAS lost all my bags on a flight from SYD to BRIS and I was departing early the next morning for the Solomons. Cory the day manager offered to drive me to the airport at 10 pm on Sunday night tio pick up my bags as QANTAS was too disorganised for my bag delivery. I took a taxi instead but the fact that he offered could have knocked me over! Other hoteliers take note this maybe the best run boutique hotel in Australia. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a long weekend in Brisbane and struggled to get a bed on a Wednesday night because of the State of Origin league so we ended up at Spicers Balfour. We wouldn't have stayed had we got a bed in the city but we are glad it worked out the way it did.

The location is a short walk to Fortitude Valley but a bit too far for us to walk to the city albeit is only a $15 taxi ride. It is a 2 minute walk to a number of good restaurants.

On arrival when we pulled up in the taxi I thought we had made a mistake booking here because from the street at night it looked like an old villa, certainly not a hotel. Inside however we we pleasantly surprised as it has been refurbished to a very high standard. The hotel has a neat small bar where we had complimentary canapés, a restaurant and a conference room, there s parking on site.

Our room was on the ground floor - there are 3 levels and next time we would ask for another level as our room provided absolutely no view - just a wall about a metre from the window. The room itself was not large but it was great, very luxurious and to a fabulous standard. There was a good choice of quality teas, coffee machine, no minibar, a large flat screen tv, and large ensuite.

Bed was soft and extremely comfortable, there is no street noise although you did hear other guests entering and leaving their rooms - not much of an issue given there are only 3 rooms downstairs.

Breakfast was excellent (a highlight) and the reviewer who recommended the eggs benny was spot-on.

Service was second to none and all the young staff need complimenting as they couldn't have been more helpful and obliging.

I would have no hesitation in returning if I was happy taxiing into the city and the value for money given the quality of the hotel and the inclusive breakfast and free wifi was very good.

Room Tip: Ask not to be on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grant196
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our group of 3 did 2 separate nights bookending another Spicers Property.

My last visit was the Emporium so i was looking for equal service but a slightly quieter location nearer to the river.

The onsite parking, the wonderful service (even going so far as finding us a bucket to wash the car after the dirt roads) superb restaurant recommendations. Continental cafe and dell ugo.

Room/s
I booked 2 executive rooms for both nights with the prime concern being a King Size bed for Guru and I.
Room 3 (GD stay 1, us stay 2) Good king size bed, one comfy chair and slept like a baby. On the Friday, the hotel appeared to be full, yet we heard no one. This is probably the smallest of the rooms but there is plenty of space in the lounge area and the rooftop terrace to sit and enjoy. This room is on the main floor beside the dining area...solid construction and heavy doors= silence.
Room 7 Queen bed (GD, upgrade to Courtyard) Nice outlook and a little outside seating area. These are on the lower floor. identical to Room 3 and directly below. GD said she didn't hear us at all so floors obviously work well too.
Room 4 Us Stay 1. Fantastic room, little lounge area, big bathroom and king bed. Would be my room of choice on return.

Food: Breakfast...big problem!!!! What to have because there were so many good options. Best bircher muesli I've had. Nice to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the sunshine. Can totally recommend the mushroom and the eggs benny.

Negatives: well this is really picking nits. No fridge but you don't really need one for a short stay and they did store Guru's salad in the main fridge (apologies as he forgot to pick it up) Coffee for the Nespresso is in a thermos so all good.
No pool: but did we really need one...

Other positives: Great view from the bar, service culture, easy to walk to Fortitude Valley for teen shopping and close to some really good restaurants in New Farm itself.

Stay again..yep!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GurusW
Reviewed 8 July 2012

As all the other reviews have eluded to, Spicers Balfour is exceptional. The interior styling is beautiful and the service genuine, friendly and of the highest standard. The beds are particularly comfortable, I don't remember sleeping so well for a long time. The worst part about the rooms is the lighting in the bathrooms which are gloomy at best, but that's their only fault. There are lots of little touches like luxury brownies on your pillow each night. Another big highlight is the breakfast included each day, sitting out on the balcony enjoying a delicious feast was a reason to return in itself. The location of the hotel is quite good, it's a medium size walk to the city and valley, but it's a bit out of the action (which maybe a good thing when it comes to the valley) but even getting a cab can be tricky at times.

The only downside of our stay was that we had a flight out on Sunday evening and as no one was checking in, so they decided they were going to shut from 3pm which meant we had to get our bags before then and didn't have anywhere to wait, it wasn't the end of the world but it seemed a little strange for a hotel that otherwise shows so much class.

Overall If I come back to Brisbane I wouldn't stay anywhere else and Im excited to try out other Spicers hotels after an exceptional experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Only stayed 1 night which was a shame. Stayed in a double courtyard room. Small courtyard with only one chair outside, not sure having the courtyard is particularly worthwhile, but spacious and clean room. Great bathroom with shower and bath. Luxurious linens. Great to have a coffee machine and hot and cold water on tap.
Canapes are a nice idea and tasty.
Staff are great. Very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was amazing!
Would definately stay here again. It is pricey but great for a little indulgence.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple