“Absolutely impeccable from start to finish”

Spicers Balfour Hotel
Ranked #14 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Perth, Australia
“Absolutely impeccable from start to finish”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here last December and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The service was faultless as was the food and the room itself. I was absolutely blown away. We only stayed for one night and I didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: Not worth paying extra for the courtyard as it is tiny
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
GM_Spicershotels, General Manager at Spicers Balfour Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Lamberly

We are blessed with guest staying with us as long as a week at a time. We hope to host you for a little longer on your next visit to get to really get to know you. My personal email is gm.balfour@spicersgroup.com.au, please email me to let me know when you are coming to stay again and let’s see what I can do to keep you a little longer. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend.

Willie Smuts & Team Balfour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 30 September 2013

If you wish to stay in prestigious style, feast upon absolute delights,and be cared for by people more like friends, then the Spicers Balfour Brisbane is for you! Ps the rooftop bar is sensational with an honour system for the bar, Just like being relaxed amd happy in your friends holiday home. Beautiful leafy suburb of Eagle Farm was't hard to take great distance to the Valley and the City.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Getawaylondonstyle
Dear Getawaylondonstyle

Thank you for the kind words. I guess we don’t believe in giving our guests just a number of a room, you truly become family and by sharing as they say results in caring!

perth
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband and I recently spent three nights at Spicers Balfour. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly at all times. The room small, but clean and comfortable, however too dark for my taste. The courtyard garden is tiny.The inclusion of a full breakfast and canapés in the evening was a lovely touch and I love the concept of the self serve roof top bar. Location is convenient with a short walk to the city cat ferry service, a great way to get around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dearest Petalee

Thank you for choosing us on your visit to Brisbane. I’m glad you enjoyed our honesty bar as we truly believe that there should be no limitations to our guests when sharing our beautiful property. Hopefully one day we would spread our wings to Perth to be closer to you that we can look after you in Perth. All of the best to you and your husband.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I chose this property purely on its ranking as No 1 on TripAdvisor in Brisbane and stayed here for 1 night early August 2013. I was after something extra special as it was for our Wedding night. First and foremost I thank Sarah the Front Office Supervisor, she was amazing and very helpful and considerate towards my needs. As I was organising this from afar, my dealings initially with Sarah were predominantly through email and phone as she was not working the day of our stay. I had booked and stayed in the Terrace suite as from the photos it looked lovely. As stated this was for our Wedding night so I wanted it to be special and memorable. We arrived late in the evening after our reception and although no staff were onsite Sarah had explained the procedure to gain access to our room.

Firstly the Pros, excellent pre arrival service from Sarah, nice central location, tasty breakfast and very comfortable bed. Overall it was mostly a pleasant stay.

Now the Cons, although we had the Terrace suite which has its own exclusive balcony away from other guests, it is by no means discreet or private, it does face the street so anyone walking past can look in. We decided to have breakfast here the morning after our wedding. Directly adjacent to our balcony were other visitors (within 2m separated by a timber slat which you could see through), I believe they were not guests staying at the hotel but were there just to have breakfast. The slats were not private and they could see directly into our balcony which was both intimidating and uncomfortable, we were in our robes and changed as a result as we could not relax from their constant stares. We could also hear their conversations quite loudly from our room as if they were sitting on our balcony, so again not very secluded or private in any way at all. The size of the room was also very small for the price. As a suite I was expecting more but it felt a little cramped and awkward. My wife ended up laying her wedding dress on the floor as their was nowhere suitable to hang it. Finally, checkout seemed chaotic and rushed and under staffed. The dining room was extremely busy with most staff attending to the needs of other guests first, rather than us and we had to wait for a very long time to be served. Checkout was rushed and very impersonal, they did not even ask if we had enjoyed our stay and if everything was ok! We were offered no assistance with our luggage, not even to help open a door when we left. Overall I felt a little disappointed considering what I paid to stay in the Terrace suite which wasn't cheap. I did not make a scene as I did not want to upset my wife as it was a surprise to her. Significant improvement needs to be made in this area and although busy service should have been far better than what it was at checkout. Maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion as most of the other reviews are very favorable. However it was such a shame that all the tremendous effort by Sarah was undermined so much so that I would think twice before staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Aussie_Traveller1970
Dear Aussie_Traveller

Thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback on board to ensure we do all we can so that you enjoy your journey and experience every time. Because of your feedback I got in touch with our design team to make a special blind to fit on your private terrace so that you can enjoy your breakfast in your robes on your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to talk with Sarah after your feedback on TripAdvisor and share your thoughts. All of the best for you and your wife and please come and say hi on your next visit. There is something special for you and your wife in the post and we hope that it can bring something special to you in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The place is done out very stylishly but the atmosphere is very relaxed.

The breakfast is excellent with some interesting choices. The complimentary 6pm canapés are even better. The “pour-your-own” honesty rooftop bar overlooking the city has to be one of the better hotel bar spaces in the country.

We would walk in/out of the CBD (10-15 minutes, but does involve a hill), although buses run every 15 minutes day and evening to the city and on to the South Bank.

There are plenty of restaurants and cafes in New Farm within a 5 minute stroll but the food at Spicers Balfour is also excellent.

It’s the type of small hotel that is rare to find in a City Break and I can easily see why it attracts such high TA scores.

Just a few little things prevent the 5/5 score from our perspective - I had advised the hotel of dietary requirements in advance but they misplaced that information meaning that the canapés were not an option for one of us on the first night / we didn’t have a great night’s sleep - the room seemed hot/stuffy and we couldn't get comfortable in the bed, although maybe we just didn't figure the aircon our properly / the courtyard room wasn’t really worth the extra money as the courtyard was tiny and dark and the outside table only had one chair.

But all up this is a very impressive boutique city hotel and I'd stay again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Waddler
Dear Waddler

Lovely to host you at our hidden gem on the cities doorstep. I’ve recently spent 5 years in the UK and loved every minute of it. The last restaurant I ran was a 1600`s heritage listed building, The George in Hayes and then I was lucky enough to end up at Spicers Balfour hotel. The building is a 1901 Queenslander and to work in a part of Queensland`s history is really priceless. I always appreciate feedback and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will get an extra chair for the table outside the courtyard room to ensure you can enjoy the fresh air. We hope to see you on your next visit to Australia.

Perth
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had the pleasure of spending three nights at Spicers and found it to be a home away from home with a lovely atmosphere. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly at all times, the room small, but clean and comfortable. The inclusion of a full breakfast and canapes in the evening was a real bonus. The food was beautiful. Just a short walk and we were in the heart of Fortitude Valley or New Farm. A very peaceful place in a lovely area.

Room Tip: downstairs bedroom suffers a bit from kitchen noise would be my only complaint. Our room was small...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PerthKerry
GM_Spicershotels, General Manager at Spicers Balfour Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear PerthKerry

I am very pleased you enjoyed our “home”, the atmosphere the Queenslander and the team provided. I am delighted you noticed the peacefulness of the property as we love to promote the home away from home with relaxed luxury. It was nice to meet you and as we said, a small world and we might see you in Perth one day. Please come and say hi when you are in Brisbane again.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We spent our wedding night here. The staff went out of their way to look after us both in the day prior to the wedding and after. They gave us an early check in so my wife could use the room to get dressed and relax with family.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Worthwild
Dear Worthwild

Congratulations again, we enjoyed being a small part of your beautiful journey becoming husband and wife. We hope to have you over soon again. All of the best for this year and years to come and may only the best in life cross your path.

Willie Smuts & The Balfour Team