“BRILLIANT”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2014

It was my last day on the Goldie with close family friends and they took me here for breakfast.... WOW! We had been eating meals all over the Goldie for 2 weeks, but this was the best brekkie ever! Eggs Benedict for me with bacon on the side and it was without doubt the best Eggs Benny I had ever had.... I was so blown away by not just the venue looking over the beach, but the service was spot on, the menu was so good it was hard to choose... but well Eggs Benny has always been my fave... My last day on the Goldie and this was the best....

1  Thank karinya
There are newer reviews for South Bank Surf Club

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Me and my friend have been travelling for the past 6 weeks around Australia to celebrate her 50th birthday. We have been for many meals throughout that time and Surf club was by far the best experience. The bar and waiting staff were all really friendly and helpful when it came to recommending food and wine! The food itself was delicious and well presented! I will definitely be recommending them in the future and may even return if we have the time! Great evening!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Four of us were in Brisbane over the long weekend and chose to have breakfast here on Saturday. The location lovely, the atmosphere vibrant, however the food ordinary and the service terrible. I asked for Bacon, avocado and tomato with sourdough toast (all extras as not available as a meal). The sourdough toast was the size of a small potato chip, so I asked for a decent slice. By the time I finished my breakfast, the toast arrived (2 slabs) on a plate plonked on the table, so I asked for some butter and vegemite or something to have on it to share with the table, cold butter that couldnt' be spread and a spoon of vege arrived, again after quite some time later. When we came to pay the bill, I had been charged for bacon and eggs and extra toast and butter and vegemite $25 which what should have been a $12 breakfast - excluding the coffee which was also ordinary. Without even commenting on the quality of the food which was small, cold and undercooked and despite the difference of $13 which is not important, the response from the staff member was extraordinary. She said too bad, I had to pay for bacon and eggs which I didn't order as they don't sell sides, I mentioned she might think of letting people know in future so they at least had the option of getting the eggs or reconsider their order and the toast might be at least the same size as the other portions and serves. I got zero response, zero help, zero apology, just paid the bill. I don't care about the money, it is the principle, the attitude and the hide of this mentality and food quality. You should at least get what you pay for. Conversely found the most amazing places elsewhere in Brisbane for other breakfasts, lunches and dinners - so that was good!

2  Thank JD2802
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked us for a Saturday night 7pm dinner for a 30th birthday. My partner and I flew back up from Melbourne and he wanted to go somewhere relaxed and we had been here a few times before we left Brisbane. No complaints previously but this time was terrible.
I made a point of telling the restaurant this was going to be a 30th birthday celebration. Our waitress never bothered to ask who was celebrating their birthday. Obviously that was never noted down in the first place. We were given a corner table near the kitchen, which overlooked the Southbank markets below where there was loud music playing below- while the restaurant was also playing loud music. We had to shout at each other the whole time to hear any conversation.

My partner chose a wine to sample and this was served accordingly but everything was downhill from then.
We were never told any of the daily specials such as the fish or even what any of the dips were. My brother is allergic to shellfish and I had to get up and check with another waitress after they were dumped right in the middle of the table what they all were as one of them looked questionable.

The restaurant was not full and our mains took quite awhile to arrive. In the meantime our waitress apparently thought we were all camels and we never received any more water the rest of the evening. When our mains did arrive some of our food was cold and my fish and chips were both burnt. I have been served better fish and chips wrapped in butchers paper from an old school type fish and chip shop you used to find on the corner somewhere near the beach!

I noticed our waitress came back to look at us but did not make a point of checking with everyone if their meals were satisfactory or give us more water. After this she made herself scarce and only returned when everyone had finished their meals. I did not finish mine but she did not bother to ask what was wrong with it.

After awhile she came back to check if we wanted coffee or tea. Nobody wanted any and I had to ask if there was a dessert menu to which she replied it was on the back of the drinks menu- which we didn't have. Again she disappeared and half an hour later had still not returned to take our dessert order.
Whenever we looked over to try and make eye contact with someone they apparently didn't notice us. I had to get up and walk over to the pass and ask one of the chefs to send our waitress over to take our dessert order, as we had been waiting awhile and she still had not bothered to come back.
She appeared promptly after this acting rather hostile and did not apologise for forgetting about us.
When she brought over our desserts she then had to ask us who had ordered what. Evidently she had no idea how a la carte service works and how to write a food order down properly in the order of seat numbers.

I worked in hospitality for a number of years and am rather critical whenever I dine out. I have not given this an unfair rating- this experience was terrible and I was embarrassed I chose this place for my partner's birthday thinking we could have a nice relaxing enjoyable birthday dinner with our family.
We will never come back to this restaurant whenever we visit Brisbane in the future and to the owner- tell your staff not to wear shorts where their butt cheeks are hanging out while they bend over to deliver food or clear the table. It really is unnecessary and they are not flattering themselves or your restaurant image.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is about the 4th time we've been to Southbank Surf Club for drinks and or food. The cocktails here are fantastic & there is a fairly respectable cocktail menu and bar staff are willing to mix something up if the menu doesn't take your fancy. Cocktail prices are similar to other places at Southbank.