“Excellent Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Via - CLOSED

La Via
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Great pizza and good value for lunch. Would return. Even my fussy 4 year old, loved it! They will pack it up for you if you have pizza left over. An enjoyable taste of Italg!

Canberra, Australia
“Outstanding Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had the margarita pizza which was right up there with the best I have ever had. Usually when I'm in Bangkok I go to a little out of the way Italian restaurant run by an Italian ex-pat which is the best Italian food I have ever had and always struggle to find comparables.

The pizza was cooked the old way, great pizza base with mozzarella and all up great flavour. Partner had the seafood risotto which wasn't too bad, parts of the octopus were over cooked by all up a good meal.

Dinner for two with drinks was $75 which given the food and location was fine.

• Visited June 2014
Port Hedland, Australia
“UNBEATABLE! SCRUMPTIOUS!! BELLISSIMO!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My 2 Sisters and I stumbled upon this little beauty whilst strolling through SouthBank (September, 2013) looking for a place to eat. We weren't sure what we felt like so we passed by many an eatery. What a pleasant surprise when we were shown a table, had our orders taken and we (promptly) received our meals!! This place is amazing and I highly recommend ANY of their pizzas as well as the Pork Belly. Their Risotto is TO DIE FOR! I have just made a booking at this restaurant for June, 2014. I am taking my partner there for his birthday. The 2 hour drive from our property in northern NSW will be well worth it. Sandra McLean, NSW, 2474.

• Visited September 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic food but why so pretentious?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Recently stayed at Southbank and was recommended by hotel staff to try La Via on little stanley st for good italian. Very true, the italian was quite good. Quality, simple italian restaurant food the way it's supposed to be matched with consistent service, menu selection and atmosphere.

My rating of 3/5 is because I cannot understand why La Via tries to offer a fine dining experience, wanting patrons to go for a whole 3 course (see their menus and portion sizes), charge more upmarket prices than most traditional italian restaurants but then only devlier simplicity?

I could justify paying $20 for assortment of breads entree and $30 for a suckling pig lasagne mains at a restaurant that provides a matching experience, cloth tables, intimate settings, more complex dishes. La Via unfortunately dissapoints when it comes to this but fittingly so. True italian is supposed to be simple, traditional yet bold.

Everything was so suitably casual in line with the overall feel and theme of La Via - Coloured non glossy paper menus stained from previous diners, lack of menu selection, limited drinks menu, traditional simple but quality dishes, waitstaff in t-shirts and overalls. The name "La Via' and its small servings are about as elegant or fine as the restaurant actually gets.

Would be back if they had some weekly promotions, lunch specials or desperate for italian in southbank. Otherwise there are better italian restaurants around!

I really enjoy the food but I hated it's cliched pretentiousness. Fakes can fool you visually but after the experience you often feel a little cheated. La Via was like that for me. Sold boldly, performed admirably and delievered poorly.

• Visited April 2014
“Never disappoints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The food is exquisite and never let's us down. We have been going regularly for over 2 years and not once have we had a bad experience. On weekends the restaurant does get rather busy so there is a tight fit with close seating. The prices are fantastic for the delicious meals you receive. Would highly recommend!

• Visited May 2014