“Loved it!”

Ranked #71 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Darwin, Australia
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I recommend the Jephson for any traveller, especially the King Spa Room that I had, the spa bath was beyond awesome after a long day of driving, very relaxing. The receptionist was friendly and the check-in was processed without a hassle. Free parking was a definite bonus and its secured at night. The room was clean and the furnishing very nice, it had a nice balcony as well.

My only "suggested improvement" would be to have the air-con running prior to a guest arriving, though I do appreciate that this is an added cost to the hotel. It was a particularly hot day when I arrived and the room took a while to cool down.

I'd definitely return here - its a great hotel if you want to be close to the City but not right in the heart of it.

Room Tip: Get the spa room!!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank skishlee
TomB007, General Manager at Jephson Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
“loved It” is what we like to hear, so thanks for your kind words.
The King Spa room, like all our rooms have good sized furnished balconies giving you that additional Jephson experience. We are pleased to offer our guests free, secure car parking. Parking costs in the Brisbane CBD vary from $25 - $45 per day. This is a cost that most guests don’t take into consideration when they book our competitor hotels. It’s a great selling point for the Jephson.
In regards to cooling the room prior to arrival, while it’s a great idea that would be well received, we’re an eco-friendly property and we’re really trying to minimise our carbon footprint. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Tom Blair-West

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed there for just the one night .. WISH IT WAS LONGER ! Hotel was Modern and has a great set up . Quite Surroundings with a shopping centre close by ! i stayed in a Queen room on the 4th floor, great comfortable bed with TV set up right in front , Balcony as well with suburb Views ..

The staff were amazing , I wish i just got there names to thank them ! check was a breeze so was check out .. don't bother getting a city apartment .. only short walk to train station and cab only 15 dollars ..

Think it will be one of my main hotels to stay in Brisbane !!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Hi Johnnie
Thanks for your review. The hotel, as you mentioned is located in the Toowong retail hub, and very close to the Train Station that’s only 3 stops to Brisbane CBD.
The Reception team try to ensure a smooth and hassle free transition both at check-in and check-out, and the more time you spend relaxing in the hotel the better we feel. It’s all about convenience, and the Jephson Hotel has it all.
Thanks again for your kind words.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

The room we had was large, light and airy with a big, squeaky clean bathroom. We were only on the 2nd floor, and since it was a Saturday night and the hotel is on a crossroads in the centre of Toowong, I wondered if it would be noisy. Not a bit of it. We had an excellent night's sleep in our quiet, comfortable room and woke refreshed.

We arrived about lunchtime on a Saturday, and wanted a beer while we waited for friends to also arrive in Brisbane. The hotel's restaurant/bar has a small outside terrace facing the busy street corner, so we thought we could sit there and watch the world whilst having a drink. However, it was closed and I think the receptionist said it never opened in the middle of the day at the weekend, which seems a little shortsighted and a bit disappointing. The nearest possible spot for a drink is a large and noisy pub about 10 mins walk from the hotel.

Breakfast was included in our tariff, but we didn't take it there, having had just-one -too-many tasteless hotel continental breakfasts in recent years. We decided to go down the road to a buzzy cafe we'd seen the day before - the Broadcast Cafe, on the corner opposite the entry to the mall. They served fabulous coffee, and the scrambled eggs were tasty, though a bit overcooked.

There's ample secure and well lit parking under the building.

A weird thing happened at checkout time - when I went to check out there was a man seated behind the reception desk. He had his head down - doing some paperwork, I think. I stood there for a moment - and then, without raising his head or in any way acknowledging my existence, he reached forward, retrieved a sign and plonked it in front of me. It said 'back in five minutes'. I felt like I was in some kind of Fawlty Towers skit..... In hindsight, it's really rather funny, but at the time I felt irritated and a bit insulted.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
TomB007, General Manager at Jephson Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thanks for the review of our hotel, as you will see from other reviews and follow up that we take all feedback very seriously. We are pleased your stay with us was comfortable and an enjoyable one.
For the last 18 months we’ve had the restaurant and bar open all day on Saturdays. We have recently closed the restaurant and bar until 4pm as we haven’t seen enough demand on Saturdays to warrant staying open. We do offer a mini-bar service and do have large furnished balconies in every room.
It’s a shame that you did not have breakfast with us here at the hotel, as we pride ourselves on our food and have a very creative culinary team. We have some great feedback on trip adviser and our website to support this view.
With reference to your checking out, it would appear that one of our housekeeping team members was at the desk at the time of your departure and while his English is ok, I feel he knew he would be unable to assist. I will ensure that only front office staff are seated at reception in future. Please accept my apologies for this, as I know he didn’t mean to offend.
I am pleased that the overall stay with us was a good one and we look forward to your return in the future, please contact me directly regarding your next stay, it would by my pleasure to buy you breakfast.

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I recently stayed at the Jephson Hotel and my package included breakfast. I was issued with a voucher that allowed me to choose from a list of 'free breakfast' or I would receive $10 towards any other breakfast option on the menu. On the bottom of this voucher it said that you had a choice of either juice, tea or coffee. My partner and I choose a juice. When it came time to pay they charged us $5 each for our juice and when we tried to say that the voucher shows we get a drink too, they stated "no, that just means you are allowed to order a drink but you still have to pay for it'. The waitress never mentions that to us when we ordered, all she said was " what drink do you want with your meal? coffee, tea or juice". No happy! Wont be staying there again!! Rip off!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elane H
TomB007, General Manager at Jephson Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to provide feedback from your stay with us. It appears there has been a slight misunderstanding with the breakfast voucher on this occasion. Included in the voucher are three options - bacon and eggs, cereal or toast including a coffee, tea or juice. If a guest upgrades to an a la carte breakfast option we offer a credit of $10.00 per voucher toward the breakfast bill.

As was explained to you by our staff, the voucher has be upgraded in full. As you ordered food and drink from the a la carte menu, an amount of $20 was deducted from the total bill which included your juices.

We do apologise for any confusion this has caused you. We have had the same voucher system in place for well over 12 months now and have found the system works very well and gives all our guests a variety of options for their breakfast meal. My staff have advised me that they spoke with you about this at the time and you understood the process, so we were surprised to read your comments below. I will organise for the voucher to be rewritten to ensure no other guests encounter this situation. I do thank you for your comments as we’re always wanting to improve our procedures and it’s feedback like yours that allow us to do so. I do hope you reconsider and come back to stay with us in the future.

TBW
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I have enjoyed countless meals at this hotel over the past 10 months and, almost without exception, the food on offer has been of a standard as to question why the place isn't full!
Seafood Saturdays are particularly good value at just $29 for two delicious courses and a glass of wine. I had the macadamia crusted bug as entree, and the seared tuna fillet as main. They both left me speechless!
Friday nights they feature live pre-dinner music in the bar, so there is just no excuse not to dine here. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
TomB007, General Manager at Jephson Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Thanks a lot for your review. The restaurant team constantly deliver an exceptional product right through from the creative menus to the service delivery. We encourage our guests to try the restaurant during their stay, and they are always pleased with their experience, unlike most hotels restaurants’ where the food and service is fairly predictable, we make the effort to ensure all our guests dining experiences are one to remember.
We have recently introduced a $39.00 3 course dinner which includes a glass of wine, this too is very popular and details of the menu can be found on our website www.jephsonhotel.com.au.
Once again thanks for taking the time to review us.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Stayed at the Jephson Hotel while on a business trip. Initially booked at this location as the CBD was quite booked out. I booked via wotif and was given a studio apartment, mny colleague was given a one bedroom apartment. Both rooms were great. Rooms were very clean, modern and spacious. The facilities were excellent. Both rooms also had balconies.

While the accommodation is not in the CBD - if you have a hire car the location is quite easy to get to. The hotel has a restaurant onsite, but there is also quite a lot of restaurants and cafes right outside.

Would definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
TomB007, General Manager at Jephson Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for reviewing of our hotel, we do appreciate your feedback. Access to the CBD as you mentioned is a very short trip on the City Cat (Ferry) or 3 stops by train to the heart of the CBD. The hotel is just 2 years old and is fast becoming a preferred option to staying at city hotels due to our free parking. All of our rooms have balconies and are spacious and comfortable. The hotel’s restaurant is fresh and vibrant and our culinary team are focussed to provide exciting and innovative dining options. We look forward to you returning to the Jephson in the very near future.

Newport News, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

The staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfasts are great and the hotel is clean with all the basics. What it lacks is the touch of luxury you expect from a 4.5 star hotel, particularly if you have paid full price. The sharp lines, minimalist decor and neutral colors, the skimpy bedding (no fluffy doonas or crisp white doona covers), the rather mean little plastic tubes in the bathroom that were not replaced daily, good sized towels but ones that seemed just a bit thin, no morning newspaper and so on, all made the four nights we spent there a bit underwhelming. The air conditioning was very effective and very quiet, in fact the entire hotel was very quiet. Someone does need to do something about the bedding though. The doonas are thin and the covers are made of a very shiny material that causes them to slide off the bed in the middle of the night. Unlike most up market hotels nowadays I did not get the sense that the covers were laundered after every guest either. Maybe they were, but they didn't give that impression the way well ironed cotton covers would.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
TomB007, General Manager at Jephson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your constructive review of our property, we really appreciate your feedback.

We are currently reviewing our guest amenities, and are very excited about the new products we will be rolling out shortly, as we are sure our guests will be too. We are also looking at updating the whole bedding experience in our guest rooms, most likely going to the triple sheeting arrangement which will give our guest rooms a much sharper and fresher appearance. Just to mention also that the bedspreads currently in use are laundered on a regular basis. It’s feedback like yours which really helps us to further develop our hotel and services to our guests, so once again thank you for your review.

Tom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brisbane
Toowong Inn & Suites
#39 of 157 in Brisbane
Toowong Villas
Toowong Villas
#73 of 157 in Brisbane

Been to Jephson Hotel? Share your experiences!