“Not sure what they're trying to be”
Review of Carnivale on Oriel Park - CLOSED

Carnivale on Oriel Park
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: carnivaleonoriel@bigpond.com
Sydney, Australia
“Not sure what they're trying to be”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My partner and I shouted her parents to a Sunday morning high tea, making use of one of the coupon deals going around. We're quite partial to a good high tea, so thought we'd give this one a go.

The venue is a little confronting at first - they take the 'Carnivale' tag seriously, right down to a somewhat confusing rainbow colour scheme. Comfortable enough, but a little gaudy for anyone over 12 years old.

Despite no being overly busy, the service was a little slow, with only one staff waiting on the handful of tables. He was friendly enough, but perhaps efficiency over chattiness might help things.

The first hurdle was my request for a gluten-free high tea, which has never been a problem at any other venue I've gone to. My substitute item was a prawn salad, and I'm not sure how that fits in with the idea of a high tea. (it wasn't a bad salad, but not what I expected. there's a supermarket three doors down, that sells gluten free bread. this isn't a major leap of logic as to what a better idea might have been).

The food brought out to the rest of the table was well appreciated by the others. Sandwiches were fresh, scones looked good etc. The coffee and tea was pretty good too.

Overall, it wasn't bad. But really, there's nothing to bring me back there (even if I could eat the food).

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank Zephyr71

Brisbane, Australia
“Nice, Fun, Casual”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

10 of us visited this little place recently for a celebration dinner. The decor is fun and colourful to suit the name. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

The menu isn't huge but has a nice variety for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and the wine list is reasonably priced.

The food was very well prepared, all meals arrived together and were correct. I had the steak and it was cooked perfectly and was very tender. I did find myself wishing there were some greens on the plate, however the meal size was very good and what vegetables there were were lovely. Everyone enjoyed their meals which also included starters and desserts.

We all enjoyed our night but didn't leave a tip as we felt the corkage charged for the 3 bottles of wine we bought with us was adequate and more than covered any tip we would leave. Maybe this is something they should look at?

• Visited July 2011