“High tea”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: carnivaleonoriel@bigpond.com
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Not really the setting I was expecting for a High Tea, just an average cafe. started with Champagne, sandwiches, cakes, scones and a coffee.... Nothing spectacular.

5  Thank Wheretonext500

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Carnivale has a vibrant, eclectic, retro rocker yet elegant, fun feel to its decor. My husband, our little daughters and I love the place.

I would thoroughly recommend it for breakfast, morning or afternoon tea, a family dinner or a romantic dinner for two. We have done all of these events at Carnevale and have loved every minute.

The proprietor, Jason goes out of his way to ensure that the dining experience is optimized and tailored for every guest. The last time I had a Sunday morning tea with my daughter there, she was presented with a tiara. She was very impressed! I was even more impressed by the delicious scones. Delectable!

The extra touches for kids and adults are always there -pretty mermaid and monkey cocktail ornaments on the kids' drinks and a complimentary dessert tasting plate for my husband and I when we once tried to be good and not order dessert after dinner. We were very surprised and pleased. It is really nice to feel spoiled when you go out to dinner and to know that in spite of the spoiling and fantastic food, the bill is going to be very moderate. Carnivale offers great value for money.

I have had some of the best beef dishes at Carnivale that I have ever had anywhere. Compliments to the chef! All the food is uniformally fantastic with very elegant presentation.

Carnivale looks unusual and it IS unusual - unusually wonderful! It deserves to become a Brisbane icon.

3  Thank MerryweatherBrisbane
Reviewed 25 November 2011

This has opened in a spot which has sustained a small neighbourhood restaurant fairly continuously for years. It has been puzzling to locals as it looks like a children's party venue, but seems to do dinner. I agreed to go to dinner with my mother recently and we decided to give them a go.

Mistake.

There was a smoking lady as we arrived - with an ashtray - in the area we were directed to. Eventually we moved. The front of house fellow made some comment about not knowing who she was, she had 'just turned up' adn suggested we might go back to the original table as someone else from the restaurant had suggested to her that it was non-smoking. The FOH fellow then said that the party arriving to occupy the courtyard area with us was "going to be smoking - they're having a bit of a party".

I questioned him about the designated smoking areas - all food service areas are non-smoking in Qld and he muttered a few unhelpful things about knowing that the people coming would be smoking so we would be better off where we had started.

We decided raiding our respective larders for leftovers and calling it a night was the best option by far.

4  Thank usuallynotgrumpy_8
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My partner and I shouted her parents to a Sunday morning high tea, making use of one of the coupon deals going around. We're quite partial to a good high tea, so thought we'd give this one a go.

The venue is a little confronting at first - they take the 'Carnivale' tag seriously, right down to a somewhat confusing rainbow colour scheme. Comfortable enough, but a little gaudy for anyone over 12 years old.

Despite no being overly busy, the service was a little slow, with only one staff waiting on the handful of tables. He was friendly enough, but perhaps efficiency over chattiness might help things.

The first hurdle was my request for a gluten-free high tea, which has never been a problem at any other venue I've gone to. My substitute item was a prawn salad, and I'm not sure how that fits in with the idea of a high tea. (it wasn't a bad salad, but not what I expected. there's a supermarket three doors down, that sells gluten free bread. this isn't a major leap of logic as to what a better idea might have been).

The food brought out to the rest of the table was well appreciated by the others. Sandwiches were fresh, scones looked good etc. The coffee and tea was pretty good too.

Overall, it wasn't bad. But really, there's nothing to bring me back there (even if I could eat the food).

4  Thank Zephyr71
Reviewed 26 July 2011

10 of us visited this little place recently for a celebration dinner. The decor is fun and colourful to suit the name. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

The menu isn't huge but has a nice variety for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and the wine list is reasonably priced.

The food was very well prepared, all meals arrived together and were correct. I had the steak and it was cooked perfectly and was very tender. I did find myself wishing there were some greens on the plate, however the meal size was very good and what vegetables there were were lovely. Everyone enjoyed their meals which also included starters and desserts.

We all enjoyed our night but didn't leave a tip as we felt the corkage charged for the 3 bottles of wine we bought with us was adequate and more than covered any tip we would leave. Maybe this is something they should look at?

3  Thank Whinnie