“3.5 stars: rough around the edges”

Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Canada, Kentucky
“3.5 stars: rough around the edges”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed here for three weeks on a work assignment so had a chance to see this establishment over an extended period.

The building is new, but the room design often puts style ahead of functionality. Not enough counter space in the loo, and a fancy sink basin - broad and shallow that splashed most times it was used. Towel rack is on the far side of the room from the tub. What were they thinking?

The king sized bed was not particularly comfortable, as it zipped together two single beds and we could feel a hard boundary right down the middle of the bed.

But the room was quiet, and the temperature controls worked well. We cooked most meals for ourselves, and the kitchen was not bad for a serviced apartment.

Housekeeping was uneven. Most days were fine, but some times we got very little attention (ran out of toilet tissue one day because there was no replenishment the day before).

Worst problem was two days when there was no hot water between 7:30 am and 8:45 am. When the building fills up, there just isn't enough capacity to handle the morning rush.

Front desk only opens at 7 am, and we had to catch a taxi before then for an early flight. I was assured that an emectronic copy of my invoice would be emailed to me the day after departure, but I had to chase it down with follow-up emails after it never arrived a few days later.

There's work needed to get this place up to four stars. I'd rate it 3.5 as of today.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Human44
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Good afternoon Human44,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of the property, its disappointing that a few issues let down your overall evaluation of the property. I have forwarded on your comments to my housekeeping manager regarding the apartment servicing and the king split bed. We certainly aim for consistency with our servicing, so we will look to re-training of our housekeeping staff to ensure standards are met each day.
Unfortunately we did have a faulty part with our boilers last week that caused a hot water issue briefly each day. This part has now been replaced and I do apologise on behalf of the hotel for any inconvenience this caused.
I would like to advise that as from the start of July our reception desk will be a Meriton staffed 24hr operation. This will mean that guests will be able to check-in/out anytime of day and also get a tax invoice if required. Meriton has listened to feedback like yours and made this necessary change in our operation going forward.
Human44 thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is a relatively new building so it's going to pretty hard to fault. The accommodation was comfortable and the views were very impressive (we were on the 74th floor!). Facilities were great. Carparking was expensive (charged me $30 a night to park my motorcycle in a corner - didn't take up a car space??). A bit more discretion and common sense wouldn't go astray.
We stayed for three nights. The location was okay, a short walk to the centre of the city but it was fine. It would be difficult for the elderly or those less able bodied to walk around. Late at night there were lots of people 'hanging around' the front doors. Not intimidating for us but could have been for a couple of women or those with kids. I'm sure the hotel could take steps to deal with this.
I do have to give the place a big wrap. I left some (many!) items in my room (note to self....check both ends of wardrobe next time!). Meriton staff located the items, packaged them up and posted the items back to me for the cost of postage. That impressed me no end. They were fantastic. Thank you very much. It is that type of service that will see me return again and again.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Very quiet on high floors with great views. Not for those who worry about heights!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Good afternoon David_Susie,

Thank you for the review of our property, its wonderful you enjoyed the stay and those views from the top floor!! I will be happy to pass on your feedback to the front desk regarding their follow up on the lost property. It's pleasing they were able to package it up and sent it on quickly, you wouldn't believe how much lost property is left behind on a weekly basis here. Thank you also for the comments regarding people hanging around out the front of the building. We do have security on every night and in a couple of weeks we will be going 24/7 with our reception desk. I will make sure my staff keep an eye on this area for the future.

Chicago
Reviewed 12 June 2013

For the price of a hotel room, you get an apartment, with a kitchen, a dining room table, and in-unit laundry; all of it tastefully decorated. It is a little bit out of the way from the heart of the CBD though and dining options within walking distance are limited. And there aren't any supermarkets around, which limits the advantage of having a kitchen.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Good morning Laurent L,
Thank you for your positive review of the apartment and mentioning the items we have as opposed to a hotel style room. I wanted to advise that there are many restaurants close within walking distance- some of Brisbane's best are located down on the pier within 5 minutes walk. We also have a Food works Supermarket opening this month under our building to go with the Woolworth supermarket located one block from the apartments. On your return visit please see the helpful front desk staff who will be happy to show you their locations on a map.
Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in a 2 bedroom apartment for a week. And WOW how fantastic. We were on level 69 (amazing views!) and the apartment was modern, really clean and really comfortable. The kitchen was pretty good, I used it to cook a few times. Great location, big supermarket a small walk away, heaps of buses, near the free ferry and free bus. This is at the Valley end of the city, so a short walk to the Mall but also close to Fortitude Valley and New Farm (in my opinion, the best for cool shopping and great bars and restaurants)
Would totally stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
Good morning kgermain,

Thank you for such a great review, we are pleased you found us to have "wonderful apartments. The views are fantastic from our apartments particularly those up as high as level 69 looking over Brisbane CBD. It sounds like our location really suited your needs with so many great restaurants and shopping close by. I would also like to advise that later this month the new Foodworks supermarket will open under the building for guest convenience.
Thank you again for the wonderful review.
kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I stayed in a studio apartment for 2 nights over the long weekend. The room was fantastic, we couldn't fault it, very well appointed and spotless clean. Location was great only a 10 minute walk from the main riverside area, the CBD and Chinatown. The only criticism was some of the reception staff who were far from helpful especially when our key card to access the lifts failed to work upon check in and it took an excessive amount of time to get it working (we went out for dinner and came back a few hours later and it still wasn't working) only to be told in a rather grumpy manner "our system takes a long time to recode these cards so please just wait" - not really the service or more to the point lack of service I expected from the Meriton and I feel more training for reception staff is needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Good morning Travelling_Tiger66,

Thank you for your review!! Its really pleasing to hear that you loved the Studio apartment, they are definitely well appointed with good size. I will be also happy to pass on your feedback to the housekeeping team regarding the high cleanliness.
Travelling_Tiger66 what is disappointing is that reception service dampened what could of been a faultless stay. A simple task like re-cutting a key should not have taken this long and I do apologise on their behalf. I will be passing on your feedback to them and expect immediate improvement from the front desk team.
Thank you for your comments, we will certainly use them to improve our performance for the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Clean, very comfortable and generous sized 1 bedroom apartments. Good amenities (gym, pool, sauna). Staff were lovely and had no issues upon check in or check out. Parking is an issue, so be prepared to pay $35/night or find alternative transport.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest possible floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Good morning ed d,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post regarding your recent stay with us. It is wonderful that you enjoyed the one bedroom apartment and found it clean and comfortable. In regards to parking the rate of $35 per night, it is a competitive rate for Brisbane city however we do have limited spots available for our Serviced Apartment guests. The front desk are able to supply information on all the local parking and rates if required.
We look forward to your return visit in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights in May 2013 after being seduced by their website. The apartments themselves were quite nice and spacious. No complaints there at all. For me it was the overall experience that was All a little disappointing and sterile. After reading their website I had imagined beautiful vistas, however my 3rd floor allocation put paid to that. Checking was not at all personalised and was almost clinical. And while the rooms were nice, they lacked any great character. I think I'd look elsewhere next time I am in Brisbane.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ozvpm_andy
MSABrisOnAdelai... B, Manager at Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear ozvpm_andy,

Thank you for taking your time to write us your review. We are glad to hear that you found the apartment nice and spacious but it is certainly very disappointing to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to your resent stay with us. We certainly try our best to meet all our guest's requests where we can and unfortunately, a high floor requests/river view requests are the most popular. We are sorry to hear that you will look else where next time you are in Brisbane but if you do change your mind, please let us know your requests and we hope to met all your expectations next time visit us. Thank you again for your review.

David M.