“Exciting modern Italian cuisine” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dell Ugo
Price range: US$26 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Exciting modern Italian cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

A truly delightful meal. The 5 course degustation covers a wonderful array of food. Service is excellent.
Discovered this restaurant about 18 months ago and it was the obvious choice for this return trip.
Ironically it is not busy - I suspect tourists in the area go for the more pedestrian offerings. If dell' ugo was in Melbourne it would be booked out.

Visited February 2014

Hamilton, Canada
“Made me feel cheated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I write this review as I wait to pay for my very unsatisfying meal at Dell'ugo Ristorante. We went looking for a fun dinner out in Brisbane. Instead we were treated as second class citizens while eating a meal I can only describe as mediocre at best.

Perhaps the unceremonious "can I help you" we were greeted with should have been the first clue, but we wanted to give the restaurant a chance. Our sever did not identify herself or make much of an effort whatsoever. We both ordered the dinner feature advertised in the Little Stanley Culinary Passport. This meal came with a cocktail. Ours were completely different, one tasting strongly of alcohol while the other tasted like bad Orange Crush. The risotto with scallops that followed was passable, but certainly not worth what we paid.

Throughout this experience we were ignored by the waitstaff. When asked how the meals were, we informed them of our mediocre experience. The waitress promptly disappeared and did not reappear for at least 20 minutes. She then offered us dessert. We declined and asked to speak to the manager.

When we finally had the chance to speak to the manager he became very confrontational. He did not once apologize for any aspect of the service or food. In fact, he told us it was impossible that our drinks tasted different. We have since been waiting for 45 minutes for our bill to arrive.

To sum up: mediocre food with horrible service.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I cannot understand the negative comments on here.Maybe they were just unlucky. 4 of us went last Thursday and were amazed at the quality of food and service. Expensive? No more so than the rest of the restaurants on the South Bank strip. Personally, I started with clams - a huge bowl with toasted bread, almost enough for a main and beautifully cooked. I had the snapper for main - melt in the mouth delicious and was too full for desert but had coffee. Offered lovely hot oshibori towel. Wait staff were friendly, casual and helpful and not over pushy. I couldn't fault it, and no Im not a friend or family member of the owner, just a regular diner

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Will never go there again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

The worst meal I have ever paid for. Ordered the special Pasta the owner recommend. When it came out as small entree size meal. Supposed to be main. Only consolation was it was so salty I could not eat it. Then paid to find out why he didn't give the price of $35 for the smallest worst tasting meal I have ever had.
My advice. Go to a road house get a much nicer meal at a fraction of the price.

Woombye
“Dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Too expensive for what you get. Our children got Scotch fillet and salmon as mains and they were $38 each but I couldn't believe that mine and my husband's plates (actually half plates) of pasta which were over salty cost $35 each and a cob loaf was $12. The pasta was one of their specials. Special price I guess.