“Great location, close to everything without being too close.”
Review of Frisco Apartments

Frisco Apartments
Ranked #37 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two weeks in a two bedroom apartment from the 27th of Oct to the 9th of Nov 2013. I found it in the perfect location close to shops, restaurants and a five minute walk to the city centre. Undercover car park and Lap Pool are terrific. The rooms were very clean, beds great and the view was great from our 8th floor apartment. Kitchen, laundry and living areas were very functional. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Brisbane.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Robert M
There are newer reviews for Frisco Apartments

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I had a studio.

Pros:
- Good location. Only a couple of minutes walk to Eagle Street pier. 15mins to Queen Street.
- Great to have secure/allocated parking
- Supermarket (can't remember... Coles/Woolworths), bakery, ATM literally over the road - extremely handy.

Cons:
- The a/c was not cold, so lucky it wasn't Summer.
- The kitchen is handy, and is kitted out with all the utensils you'd require except for maybe storage containers (if you had leftovers to refrigerate).

Room Tip: If you're a smoker, don't get a studio - no balcony, have to walk out to the street to have...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OzinGulf
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I had a three-night stay at Frisco Apartments in late September and was pleased I chose this property. I came for a couple of days of Big City Hit (I live in Cairns). Frisco is located very near to the Briso CBD & shopping (10-15 mins walk), Chinatown and Fortitude Valley (10 mins) and about 15 mins to the SouthBank Bridge. Very central.

This is a good property for a quick stay, or if you are working in Briso for a month or so or more. I saw people picking up their mail from their mail boxes in the foyer, so I would take it that there are semi-permanent residents as well at Frisco.

These are serviced apartments - but serviced only once a week - so if you want a hotel with room service, read no further.

I booked a Studio Apartment with balcony. I was on the lower stories, so no view, but I guess a view of the buildings all around. (Quite away from amenity - there was the most beautiful bird call between buildings about 6.00am - coming from a very nature-based environment, I found it fascinating that birds would still be living volubly in such a built-up city environment. Good stuff).

I found the accom excellent and clean, and stylish without being too minimalist. Comfy bed & linen & pillows, extensive wardrobe, small but adequate & clean bathroom, very well-equipped kitchen (even a teapot - yayyy!). I didn't need to use the laundry facilities, but there is a washer & dryer & large tub for soaking, also a drying rack out on the balcony with good clean pegs. Smoking is allowed out on the balcony as long as you close the doors to the apartment.

There is a small but adequate shopping centre about 3 minutes walk away - including a Woolies, bottle shop, bakery, etc., so it's easy to stock-up the kitchen, if you so wish. Within this complex was also a coffee shop, but they were renovating the week I was there, so I didn't do a coffee or a breafast. Chinatown & its wonderful multicultural restaurants is only a 10-min walk away.

The blokes at Reception were very amenable and helpful, although if you come in after business hours you need to organise your own entry, but this seems fairly simple. They were responsive, helpful and proactive - the washing machine in my room needed to be fixed, & they made sure I knew when the washing machine guy was coming, although I was only staying for three days.

There is also a 20-metre indoor pool on ground level & I think some exercise equipment. The pool stinks of chlorine - so if I were them, I would convert it to salt or ozone, but this is mere quibbling. I would also knock out some of the wall & put in glass bricks, but that is merely my aesthetic musing.

There is one parking space under the property for each apartment, so good for car people.

I was travelling as a single woman, & felt very safe here.

Only brickbat would be - no telephone book in room (or at Reception). Upon enquiring at Reception, I was told that phone books "were a thing of the past". Well, maybe if you have a smartphone, yes, but if you don't (me) & didn't bring your laptop (me, because I was on holidays) then a phone book is still an essential item - perhaps for only a few more years, but still highly useful. If you are looking for an essential service - say a particular craft shop or other specialist shop - not everyone is on the Web yet, or wants to be. Perhaps an internet kiosk in the reception area could fix this problem, if phone books are. Just a suggestion, guys.

In short - a great property, good people, central, clean, comfy bed, good kitchen, what more do you need? I think Frisco does a great job at an afforadble rate. Good on them.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LillianAtYorkeys333
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here for work, had to extend a night due to work requirements, no problems except i would have to relocate to a studio, again no problems, expected room to be cheaper but would be ok if same as the 1 bedroom apartment that I had booked - wasn't told there would be any increase, checked emails, room price increased $50 even though it was a lower quality room, $180 for a studio is a ridiculous price so i cancelled and stayed at the Hilton in the mall for $120. Room was dated everything looked like it had seen better days, small 32" tv with no foxtel only local channels, bed was old and well past needing replacing. Night before checkout there was a fire... yes, a fire in the hotel, no room checks were made, the alarm in my apartment did not work so initially I thought it was another building until I saw three fire engines pull up and the firemen donning breathing apparatus.
Pool is in the basement and really unappealing, no spa - need to pass reception to use which doesn't give much privacy.
Overall I would advise people to avoid unless you can get a room on special under $100 and don't need a pool, cable tv or a comfortable bed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank wilrc1
Tom D, Manager at Frisco Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear wilrc1

I'd like you to note the following errors in your review and the fact that I take exception to my staff being labeled 'dodgy' by anybody - and particularly by somebody call 'wilrc1'. Fortunately the vast majority of our guests are very happy with our services.

Yes we were fully booked the night you wished to extend and all we had available was a Studio Apartment. This was offered to you at an increased rate of $180 as the booking would have been for just one night. As is the case in most serviced apartments we have different owners for each apartment and so in order to cover cleaning and linen costs we have to charge a higher rate for a one-night stay. This is one reason we only ever advertise minimum 3-night stays. I'm happy you were able to find a room at the Hilton for $120!

The 'fire' incident you refer to was due in fact to a lot of smoke from a vending machine in our main foyer which suffered an electrical short circuit. The resulting smoke set the alarm off. This machine had only recently been fully serviced and checked. Anyway, it was immediately unplugged and in fact we have since disposed of the machine.

Our heated swimming pool is not in the basement as you claim but in fact on a mezzanine level i.e. between the ground and first floor and in fact has a massive 3 meter x 2 meter window. We have a sauna which is very popular and do not advertise a spa. The area is quite special, is in fact heritage listed and accessible from either the first or ground floors. So one does not have to walk past Reception as you claim.

I accept that you are not likely to stay with us again and only point out the above errors for the sake of clarity to all our other guests.

Kind regards,

Tom Daniels
Property Manager
Frisco Apartments

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I booked two, two bedroom apartments for 4 nights each late August 2013. Right from making the booking to checking out our stay was awesome. The apartments are spacious and light with modern appliances and huge balconies. Full bathroom and laundry facilities and fully equipped kitchens with extra large refrigerators perfectly catering for our group of 6 adults, 2 teens and 2 children.

Since we arrived on a Sunday the reception was closed but it was easy and hassle free getting into our apartments and starting our exploration of Brisbane. When we finally arrived back after leaving the apartments early on Monday morning I met Roger (I think that was his name) at reception and we checked in - although nearly 24 hours after arriving :), he was so welcoming and friendly I have stayed at many different hotel establishments and this was the first time that anyone has ever taken notice of my two small boys and showed me exactly where all the parks and fun/free things for kids were. Thank you so so so much I really appreciated the recommendations!!!

The complex is a 10 minute walk to Queen Street mall and central station and easy access to everything that Brisbane has to see, 5 minute walk to the local shops which makes it a perfect base for families and business travellers to explore or work. Very good value for money and although it is at the lower end for cost I bet it will rival even the most expensive apartment complex's in the city.

The only thing that I could even think of improving is fixing the vending machine but even that didn't really bother us at all....

I highly recommend this establishment so thanks guys for a great stay and I hope to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank maorichikita
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We booked a studio room for 3 nights in December 2012 and were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the accommodation considering the location and price we paid.
Upon arrival we noticed that the air conditioner on the wall in our room was broken, but they had fitted a large portable air conditioner with a vent going out through a window which served it's purpose. Being a hot time of the year we were a little concerned about this at first, but the portable unit was sufficient to keep us comfortably cool.
The room was very clean and all features were are as advertised.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Noosa_Qld
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The hallway smells before you enter your room. The walls have certain spots of repaintings done.The room is cleaned only once a week . Our towels were dried on a clothes dryer after we use them. There is only a shampoo and bath wash to use and one soap for each of the toilet after we use it. we have to buy our own soap , shampoo and hair conditioner. We're so glad we just have to sleep there we don't have to stay in the hotel too much because we're out the whole day that we were there. We have to throw away our own trash.We were very disappointed after coming from a hotel in Sydney that is very clean. The reception desk clerks were very nice though and very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family