“Great service - Authentic Taste ”
Review of Agora Turkish Restaurant - CLOSED

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

- Son of owners is a Great host
- Best falafel in town.

Suggestion to Owners:

- Make the menu less pricy and you'll get more regulars

1  Thank Ken C

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Loved this restaurant. The food was DELICIOUS and the service was great. We had a really friendly waitress. good value for money. You must go.

2  Thank SarahS4
Reviewed 17 August 2013

If you have a choice of Agora's or the 7 Eleven, pick the 7 Eleven.

This restaurant looks alright from the outside but don't judge a book by the cover.

The wait staff lacked sufficient communication skills, and their knowledge of the menu lacking. They were very disorganised and required prompting in order to be served. Even when they were placing meals on the table they didn't know what they were when asked.

I am gluten intolerant and requested a gluten free meal. When the meal came out it had two pieces of Turkish bread which is very obviously not gluten free. After refusing the meal they brought out the same plate again with the bread removed, leaving traces of gluten and additional food containing gluten. They then returned that meal to the chef and returned with a third plate which appeared to be somewhat alright. This meal was a casserole and it tasted more like mince drenched in olive oil, it was edible but very ordinary considering the price.

The next day I felt very ill and was sick for a week due to this third meal that they served.. If you are gluten intolerant stay away from Agora's. They don't have any idea what a gluten free meal is. Ignore their advertised gluten free friendly label.

Other diners at my table agreed that the meals were bland.

The only positive was the belly dancer who actively engaged the audience and added some energy to the venue.

Agora's is a stain on the dining scene in West End, you would get better customer service and meal at 7 Eleven.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a table for 4 here this past Saturday night. We had originally been seated outside but were overcome with exhaust fumes from the busy street and asked the hostess to be re-seated inside. We pointed out a table that looked appealing to us and the hostess/waitress told us that it was already reserved. She then spent the next 2 or 3 minutes telling a long story about why we couldn't sit at the table in question only to then abruptly change her mind and then allow us to sit at this very same table. This awkward beginning was not a good omen.
When I called to make the reservation, I asked the hostess if they had a wine list, and she assured me that they did. I guess my idea of a wine list differs greatly from hers. There was 1 Malbec from Argentina, 1 Australian Shiraz, 1 Merlot, and 1 other type of red on their "list".
When I asked if they only had 1 type of Shiraz, she told me that no, they had just gotten another "special" Shiraz in, and she promptly went to retrieve it as she wanted to show it to me. She returned to the table with a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz! Yes, the same cheap, mass produced Yellow Tail wine that can be purchased at the supermarkets in the USA for about $5.00! We politely passed on the Yellow Tail Shiraz and ordered the bottle of the Shiraz from Barossa which turned out to be ok.
After the wine was brought to the table, we sat around for about 15 minutes without anyone from the restaurant available to take our meal order. We finally flagged down another worker who attempted to take our order but it turned out that she was brand new and she was from Korea and her English was not proficient enough to take meal orders so she then left and the original hostess/waitress returned to take our orders. This was not going well at all!
After finally getting our orders in, the food was delivered in a timely manner and I will say that we were all very pleasantly surprised with our meals. The grilled Haloumi was very tasty, as were the stuffed vine leaves and Turkish bread appetizers. Our main dishes then arrived a few minutes later, and again, everything was very tasty and well presented. I ordered the lamb shish kabob and it was very tender and flavorful.
All in all, we were very happy with the quality and quantity of the food, but unfortunately, I can only give this place 3 stars because the service really was a mess. Not only was the service bad, but the hostess/waitress was not very pleasant with us. However, the Korean girl and a male assistant waiter were very kind.
Would we dine here again? Maybe, but if I ever returned, I would come back on a week night when they might be better staffed to handle a smaller crowd as this restaurant was completely packed on this Saturday evening, and the service level was sorely lacking.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We ate here with friends on a Saturday night. It was pretty full and it is a small restaurant so a bit crowded. The menu is not huge but there is enough choice. The meals were large and when the plates came out it we all went wow !
The belly dancer was good fun too. Very good value.

1  Thank Cathie P