“Good location, but really need an image change”

Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La
Ranked #34 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Singapore, Singapore
“Good location, but really need an image change”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I hesitated badly in rating this hotel.

Why? It is average by Trader Hotel's standard. It is Good if I rate it as Holiday Inn.

This is my first visit to Trader Hotel Brisbane. Being a Priority Club Platinum member, I use the different categories of the hotel under the brand extensively. Upon entering the room, I feel so "at home". The room organization, the lime green theme and especially the decorated bed end is definitely Holiday Inn. Except that it did not offer me options of "firm" and "soft" pillows. Then I realized that this property was previously operated by Holiday Inn but have since changed to Golden Circle's Trader Hotel. I am absolutely surprised that Golden Circle did not try to put in its brand image other than changing the hotel name.
And on check out, there was no Trader Hotel Letterhead to print the invoice on. Interesting to have a hotel invoice from a reputable brand printed on a blank paper.

Having said that, the room was clean, staff friendly. I asked for room away from track and that was duly provided upon check in with a good open view. Good service but really nothing really stands out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 1place1dream

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Really like this place. As an international traveller new to this country and place, I found it very easy to locate. I came by train and Traders is just next to the station. Also within walking distance to Central even though you can opt to take the train. Lots of food and shopping there. My room was spacious and clean too! But toiletries are minimally catered. So bring along your toothbrush. But I know the staff would bring one up if you didn't bing along.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Lynne T
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Friendly staff. Rooms are well furnished, a comfortable size and clean. 4 minute walk to the city centre. I'd probably ask for a room on the road side of the hotel as the train tracks are directly behind and you can hear them from the 10th floor. In saying that great location for catching an early bus/train in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Harkin3
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Stayed here overnight - hassle free check in & out, clean & modern rooms, friendly staff, easy parking. Right beside Roma St train station so was perfect to get to the Entertainment Centre for a concert.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1-km-1
Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

We recently held a conference at this hotel. It was well located next to a major inner city train station making it easy for our out of town delegates to attend. The rooms have recently been refurbed making it a pleasant stay for our staff and keynotes. Staff were well mannered and attentive. We would you this hotel again

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Benm71
Rockingham, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Location: We chose this hotel for its proximity to Roma St train station. It was also only a short walk to South Bank.
Room: Clean & comfortable.
Food: We dined in MJ's restaurant and had bar snacks. Both menus were wide ranging & the fare was spot on.
Staff: All the staff we met were helpful & cheerful.
Would definitely recommend & revisit Traders Brisbane.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed 20 October 2012

It would have been a 4 star rating if it wasn't for a very unfortunate situation involving lack of staff communication.

I specifically booked this hotel as they offer an executive-type package with a late check out of 4pm (I had a late flight). They obviously didn't note this on their reservation system (even after reiterating I wouldn't be checking out until right on 4pm when checking in) as I received a call from reception around midday confirming when I was checking out.

I had my do not disturb sign on my room and they had been notified many times I was still in the room at 130pm that day. The mini bar checker let herself into my room without knocking when I was engaged in an "intimate tryst". She continued to walk into the room, seeing my fully naked when I started to squeal in shock before trying to explain why she was there - not leaving until I yelled at her to get out.

When checking out I mentioned it, no mention to reception staff or attempt to apologise to me for the incident.

When checking out it turns out they didn't even log my room correctly at check in. No log of the late check out, no log of the package with dining credit etc.

Besides the staffs incompetence I only have a few small complaints about the hotel - the housekeeping staff are way too loud. I could hear their entire lively conversations; you're cleaning rooms, not having a vino with your girlfriends (I was trying to sleep). The gym area is a disgrace, there are open walls and it's very hot from the Brisbane weather. Exercising in the heat is not only uncomfortable but dangerous - find a secure level/room with strong air-conditioning and place it there. Half of the cardio equipment was next to the jacuzzi? Electronics and safety anyone? I personally don't want to use an exercise bike with someone sitting in the jacuzzi watching me cycle away either. Room service is ok, everything was way too oily. I order fish as it's healthy - there is no need to smother it in 100mls or low quality oil. Ditto for vegetables, take some time to cook them properly. Fish was grilled, skin was like rubber... No body lotion in bathroom either?

Positive - Nice spacious rooms, good bath/shower with no leaks. Nice new high quality towels and a comfortable robe. Location is good, dodgy area but close to everything and transport.

Room Tip: Away from lifts, ultra noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ladyfitch
Bruno C, General Manager at Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Ladyfitch,
Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your stay experiences and observations with us.

Before I proceed any further, please allow me the opportunity to express my most sincere apologies for all the inadvertent inconvenience and disappointment that you experienced on this occasion. I can understand your frustrations and I hope you accept my apology for any embarrassment you may have felt.
I would like to confirm that the gym area is, at the moment, undergoing improvements and we now have additional new equipment. We are aware, having only been operational as a Traders Hotel for a few months, this area needs somewhat particular attention, and I welcome your feedback on this.
I can also confirm to you that we have many other improvements planned, one of which will be new menus, so again your feedback is valuable and has been shared with the Executive Chef.

Please be assured that the unfortunate experience you encountered on this occasion is definitely not of the standard you should expect from Traders Hotel Brisbane. My Team and I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Yours Sincerely