“Parents getaway”

Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La
Ranked #38 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here in early December - a night away from the kids and dinner in the city. The hotel was a mystery pick so the rate was excellent and when we checked in we got a room upgrade so well done Traders! We had a king size room on level 7 which looked across the CBD - the view was good but higher floors would be better. The room was of a high standard and had a great bed, furnishings and bathroom. A larger bath would make a difference but overall it was a great room. Staff friendly although we kept to ourselves. Would stay again - easy walk to everywhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors with a corner suite best view and larger rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stopped at the Traders for the Ashes Test match on a bed & breakfast basis. Room was pleasant with a view over the CBD, the bathroom a little tired with a shower over the bath however there was a good supply of bathroom stuff (tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, soap, lotions etc). Breakfast was plentiful and varied with the chefs on hand to prepare omelettes etc. Bar prices reasonable for a city hotel and the staff excellent and very helpful. A good stay thanks Traders

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I made a mistake with the dates when I made my booking and hadn't actually booked for the first of my required nights. As it was the day before the Ashes cricket started in Brisbane, hotel rooms were not easy to find but reception staff member, Glen McClenahan, went out of his way to find a a way to accommodate us at the Traders. We stayed for 6 nights and our room was clean and spacious and although at the rear and facing out partially onto the railway, there was very little noise from the trains in our room. The bed was huge and very comfortable and the cleaners did an excellent job with fresh towels of a good quality, changed every day if required. (I hate thin, worn out towels in hotels). There was plenty of light from the large windows and the air-con was modern and functioned perfectly, not one of those that switches off when you leave the room.
The restaurant was nice and the food quality good but the information booklet in our room stated that the restaurant was open until 9.30pm but when we arrived at 9.20pm on the first evening, we were told it closed at 9.00pm and that we must have mis-read the booklet. We re-checked it back in our room and it did state 9.30pm !
The hotel is located almost next door to the main railway station which is very handy for travelling to and from the airport with luggage. It is quite easy and the trains are good. The train cost was $32 for two of us whereas a taxi was just over $50. You can also take the train to many other places such as Australia Zoo where you are met at the other end by a courtesy bus so you are free to come and go when you want as opposed to having to stick to rigid times if picked up at the hotel by a tour operator.
The main shopping area of the CBD is a short walk from the hotel although the wharf area at Eagle Street where you can get boat cruises, is a bit further away but still within walking distance.
My wife suffers from MS and has a small electronic mobility scooter that we have taken around the world. The hotel was very disabled friendly with ramps and spacious elevators to the floors above ground level. The corridors were also wide which made it easy for her to travel about the hotel on her own.
On the whole, I really enjoyed our stay at the Traders and would not hesitate to recommend it to other travelers staying in Brisbane. I would certainly go there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed at the Traders Hotel in transit just for a night. Hotel is in a reasonable location just outside of the main CBD area but only a 5 minute walk. Very close to the train station (just behind the hotel) so great if you're catching the airlink from Brisbane airport. Room size is great, very spacious, and lots of natural lighting. Although a stone throw away from the station, I couldn't hear any trains or traffic for that matter in the room. I was in the room facing away from the station on level 10. I paid about 240 AUD for a night, but to be honest, I only booked a few days prior to arrival. If you planned it out better, I'm sure the rate is reasonable for Brisbane CBD.

The breakfast buffet is very decent and the only hotel I've stayed at that provided freshly squeezed juice DIY style which I thought is awesome. Facilities at the hotel is limited and the small gym on the roof along with a hot tub were really insufficient to have a reasonable workout. Having said that, there are plenty of gardens around to go for jog.

Room Tip: High floor and facing away from the train station
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Since our train left as early as 4.55 AM, we chose Traders, to be as close as possible to the station. Our goal was very well met, since we had only a five minute walk to the platforms. (We actually test-walked it in the evening.)

We were a bit sad because our stay was really so short and the hotel seemed to offer good conditions even for a longer stay close to down-town.

Our room was a corner room on the 11th floor, facing Roma Street. It was lately renovated, very spacious and you could hardly hear any sounds of trains.

We did not have a chance to test the breakfast, but in the evening we visited the restaurant and just had a Cesar salad, which was quite good.

The service was very good all the time. One of our suitcases was damaged during the day, causing a hole on its upper surface. When we mentioned this, the young lady at the reception, without any specific wish, immediately picked black tape and covered the hole.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Had a one night stay in corner room on 8th floor looking over Roma St station- due to good double glazing, the room was very quiet, so I would not be put off by being able to see the trains. Beds very comfortable. Only a few mins walk into Queen St mall and the city centre. Bathroom could have been a bit cleaner- mirror was streaky, but the room was very clean. Hotel is a fantastic option if you are in transit, as you are directly above the bus and train stations and can get straight to the airport. Didn't use the restaurant or bar. There is no swimming pool which I would expect for a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Looks recently renovated was clean and comfortable. All regular amenities, 42in Flat Sceen TV with Foxtel
Is on the outer of the Brisbane CBD but it's only a 5-10 min walk to the mall.
Is right at Roma St. Train station so was convenient for the Airlink from the airport which takes about 25 mins. I had a city side room, my friends looked west and said they got train noise but I didn't get any on my side of the building so you might want to ask for a city side room.
Great for the cricket as bus pulls up at the train station and takes you straight to the Gabba.
About 10min walk to Caxton St and the Barracks precinct.

Room Tip: Ask for a city facing room to avoid train noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business