“Convenient and spacious CBD hotel”

Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La
Ranked #33 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Convenient and spacious CBD hotel”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Hotel located adjacent to Roma St Train Station - plus point for tourists coming in from the AirTrain at Brisbane airport.

Rooms are spacious - 2 doubles and breakfast pre-paid is at an additional $20 per adult.

One possible area to explore is where to get good restaurants. Not many within a 500m radius. Will probably need to walk to town or to Southbank.

Room had a faulty kettle that leaked when we used it to boil water. Windows also shook when there was strong wind.

Suggest that people get a room facing away from the train station. We could tolerate the noise, though others may not wish to be disturbed.

Free internet and very helpful front desk!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very straightforward and comfortable accommodation and check-in experience. I arrived late and had to leave within 5 minutes to go to dinner, and this was achieved easily. Bed and room warm and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Michael B
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I’ve stayed at Traders for 2 weeks on Business and I have to say I was pleased with the hotel and service.
The hotel is situated well, close to the train terminal and Queen Street Mall (10 min easy walk). Rooms are quite large, comfortable and clean.
Free Wifi, self parking at a cost. Breakfast was not great.

What I didn’t like was the bed – too soft for my needs. After the first 2-3 nights I was in total pain. I have asked at the reception if they have different rooms with firmer mattresses and I have to say the staff tried all they could to make my stay more comfortable. Although they have assured me that all their beds have the same type of mattress, they have also showed me quite a few other rooms and let me try the mattresses to see if I could find a more suitable one but they were all the same so I’ve stayed in my room. They’ve considered additional wooden boards underneath the mattress too….

I’d like to thank them for being so attentive to my needs!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
TradersBrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hi AliO_11,

On behalf of myself and the team I'd like to say how much we enjoyed having you stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I apologise that we couldn't offer you a different mattress but we've taken your feedback on board. I hope to see you again.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Perfect location for Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane CBD, GOMA, Museum and State Library. When you arrive at the Roma St Station via the Airtrain, go through the gates, upstairs through the food court, out the door and enter into Traders on the 2nd floor. Catch the elevator to the ground floor for reception. Very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Been staying at this property since the late 70s... Its spacious rooms, quality appointments and responsive staff remain constant. It's a good business hotel or a great place to stay when heading to an event at Suncorp Stadium.
The breakfast descents to a different level.mmmm ... The only hot items that were worth recommending were ones geared towards someone from the Asian continent. Rather ordinary is the kindest description I can offer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Michael J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It's great to hear you've been staying here for so many years and I hope we continue to reach your expectations. I want to let you know we are working on maintaining the temperature of the breakfast buffet to ensure all the hot items stay hot. I hope you have a better experience next time and please let our staff know if you have any issues.

Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked a mystery wotif hotel and were totally satisfied with traders location, rooms and service. Everyone we dealt with was super friendly and helpful. We stayed 10th floor Roma st side, quiet with great city and river views. We would definitely go back. Faultless.

Room Tip: Request higher floor and Roma St side for great views and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Singapore
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Traders Hotels in KL and Singapore, and this is my first in Brisbane. For a 4-star hotel, I would say it is very good value.

Accommodation:
The room is spacious. There is a nice long stretch couch and a big square dining table that can double up as a work table. And a very long spacious desk. The wardrobe is spacious. The room is well lighted. The room feels better than some 5-star hotels. Noise from the other room was quite obvious - maybe it's because my room had an adjoining door to the other room. But that aside, I really enjoyed the room and happy that it is bright, spacious and clean.
Room amenities are few, though. If only they would provide bathrobes and slippers - that would earn this hotel a 5-star feel.

Restaurant:
I used the breakfast restaurant. Service was prompt and efficient but nothing spectacular. Food spread was about ordinary. Tables and cutlery were clean.

Gym:
This is at the top floor. Small but does not feel crowded. Feels very empty, though, and not attended to.

Negatives:
The concierge desk is forever unmanned. There is no one to help with directions, guide, etc except to go to the front desk, which is fine if they were not so busy themselves.
There is also no doorman to help find taxis if none is already there waiting. So, if you are a traveller that needs special assistance, you might find this hotel to be "unfriendly".

Summary:
Would I return to this hotel? Yes.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hi DukeUniverse,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm so delighted to hear you enjoyed the size of the room although I apologise that there was not a concierge attendant to help you with directions and getting a taxi. We strive for customer satisfaction and feedback is the best way we can improve our services so thank you again for letting us know. We hope to see you again.