“OK but too far from facilities, entrance depressing and my expectations too high”

Brisbane Marriott Hotel
Ranked #28 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed here with my brother and niece in a room with two queen beds. I paid an extra $40 per night for a river view room because the other room I was given had a view of a building and was rather depressing and made me feel claustrophobic. The main problem for me was that I stayed at the JW Marriot in Quito, Ecuador and had higher expectations from the Brisbane Marriot. I had no idea of the vast difference in everything between the JW Marriots and the standard Marriots. The first disappointment was the entrance which was small and very dingy with a wet floor sign out front for the whole weekend even though it wasn't raining. I was almost embarressed that I chose this hotel as I had told my brother how great the Marriot hotels are. This wasn't one of them. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful but it had a very stuffy and unwelcoming feel about it which I didn't experience at the very opulent JW Marriot. The beds were comfortable enough and the bathroom was nice, cleanliness seemed fine though I didn't pay too much attention to the room overall as I had better things to do. Room service staff were nice but there seemed to be some lack of communication between the 'at your service' staff and the staff actually delivering the order. I had to ask for the tie for a robe three times before it was delivered. The pool was far too cold for the time of year and they should invest in a better heating system. I heard other people comment on this also. It is about a 10 minute walk to the main shopping area which is ok unless you just want to duck out for a takeaway coffee in the morning since it costs around $10 to get one through room service. I left my phone in the lounge area which was spotted and returned to me by one of the managers which was greatly appreciated. Parking is far too expensive but this is typical of this type of hotel chain. Overall this hotel is ok but could do much better. I recommend improving the entrance, complimentary drop-off to city centre and heat up the "heated pool", introduce free parking offers.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)

Reviewed 30 June 2010

My Husband was on business in Brisbane and my daughter and I accompanied him. We spent over two weeks at the Marriott. The room was clean but a little outdated in its decor, one chair was shabby. The lighting needed to be brighter in the bathroom. A microwave in the room would have been nice. Microwaves are usually found in most Motels/Hotels in the U.S. Parking was $40 dollars per night, that's unbelievable! Never paid for parking in any other hotel that I have stayed. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Food, ok but too expensive. Continental breakfast and Happy Hour. that was served in the Executive suite was OK but the menue needs to be changed. Same thing over and over again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2010

A perfectly situated Hotel with all the facilities one would expect from a Hotel group of this calibre.The room was spacious and clean. We stay in Brisbane frequently as we commute between our properties in Noosa and Sydney. The Marriot is our preferred stop when we are in Town and we recommend it to anyone wishing to explore Brisbane.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2010

This was an excellent hotel with great amenities. Stayed for 5 nights and couldn't have been happier. Was booked into an executive level room, with a gorgeous view of the Story Bridge. High end furnishings, clean, bathroom with marble-tiled floor and glass-enclosed shower. Included complimentary daily breakfast and complimentary appetizer/dessert hour every evenings. Staff was professional, courteous and more than willing to be of assistance. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Recently spent 3 nights at the Marriott in Brisbane. The room was adequate; clean with nice views of the river. The bathroom was tired but ok. However, the lighting was very poor for applying makeup and I could hardly see what I was doing. On my first night I had dinner in my room and requested a "pot of tea" which was a pot of hot water and 2 tea bags. Tea bags had already been provided in my room so if I'd wanted a cup of tea- bag tea, I could have made it myself but I wanted a pot of tea - real tea with tea leaves. Similarly, the breakfast tray included tea bags not pot tea. I find it incredulous that I could not get a pot of tea at the Marriott. Staff was very nice - polite & obliging. Thought it a bit pricy as the hotel did not excel in any one area. Good location. $9.95 for 1 hour of internet access which seemed rude considering the room rate.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2010

stayed here 2 nights for pool - absolutely freezing - our 6 year old couldnt hack it for more than 1 minute at a time so it was an expensive swim. spa colder than my bath at home. do like staff at this hotel, if i had a magic wand i'd wisk them to a lovely boutique somewhere. location not great - major walking but at least you are near nice river pathway which leads into town. message to the blind designer: when a room has a lovely view one really should position the bed to look over it rather than the high rise right next to it... when allocating poolside showers they should really be somewhere in the vicinity of the pool, esp when there is a sauna. yuck. on first night we ordered room service but couldnt dig up the courage to eat more than a couple bites (hotel removed $ from final tab). next time we stay central - fringe isnt worth the extra hassle unless you are travelling on taxi chits and dont like people but love weddings cause this is a big wedding spot. i would recommend this hotel to my finicky mother who, like my son with the hotel pool, i cant handle for more than 1 min at a time and i stay with a couple of days every few years.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Marriot Brisbane is pure first class. Amazing hotel, if you are willing to pay for it.

Valet parking is great but a little hard to find (on the back street, not on the front side of the hotel). Very expensive at $40 per night.

Fantastic rooms, extremely comfortable beds, beautiful decor.

24 hour gym which is really nice, good lap pool (but only 10m).

The food at Petries Brasserie was ok, but nothing special. Very pricey (mains $40) and to be honest, not worth the money. Breakfast buffet a rip off at $30 for hot food and $20 for cold.

Overall a very very nice hotel, but very expensive.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business