“wonderful!”

Ranked #23 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
urbandale
“wonderful!”
Reviewed 22 January 2011

what a wonderful stay i had at the marriot. the room was clean, modern, and the bed was comfy. the employees wait on you hand and foot. it is well worth the money.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I stayed at the Marriott for 2 nights in August 2010 and prior to this I have stayed here for 1 night in January 2010 and on 1 previous ocassion as well. This hotel offers spacious well set out rooms and everything you could need (bath, seperate shower, lovely toiletries, desk and comfy lounge chair as well as flat screen TV with Austar - pay TV). Always clean the decor is however very old style. Room service, restaurant and spa facilities are available and all attract a premium price. This is not a "mum & dad" hotel. I have always found the food in the restaurant to be rather ordinary and not of 5 star standard. I am not too sure that the restaurant staff are too keen to assist with personal requests either as I have once asked for a juice with lunch which just never came.

Parking at the Marriott is difficult to locate as it is on the floor below reception and you need to drive around the back of the hotel and into a side street to access it. I would ask for directions when booking if you are thinking of driving to this hotel for the first time. Valet parking is offered for $40 per night I think and really this is the only option available to you. I once asked to park my own car and was given a very peculiar look by staff - like I had done something terrible. They did allow it but watched me drive in and park and then ushered me back into the downstairs lobby. Parking yourself was certainly not the norm though it was $10 per night cheaper. Now I just accept that valet parking is a nice touch or luxury and opt to hand over my keys and pay the extra.

The nicest thing about the Marriott is the riverview rooms. The ones that face the city and look down on the road have a terrible view and often you are looking into someones apartment in the high rise unit block across the road. By contrast the view of the Brisbane River from the other side of the hotel is incredibly beautiful. You can see over to the Story Bridge and down stream a bit and watch as the City Cats move up and down the river. Of a night time the bridge lights up and this is pretty spectacular.

This hotel is great for business travellers trying to impress and large companies who may receive a generous discount on their corporate rate, but it is not somewhere that I would choose to stay if I were paying myself. I think the Brisbane Novotel represents far better value (although it is a little out of the way) for the average person and the Sofitel is far better for business being more centrally located in the CBD than the Marriott.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank DragonFan
Gallarate, Italy
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We received a bad service at Brisbane Merriott Hotel, with my surprise.
On january the 1st we came back to our room (at 3pm) and it was not made yet.
Then we called the reception and we agreed to wait to send someone to clean the room because my 3 years old baby was sleeping: in the following half an hour, for 3 times someone went to knock on the door to make the room --> my baby (of course) finally woke up...
Later when we came back to our room - with my biggest surprise - the room was not clean: the shower gel was not replaced and the shower was not clean...

Back in Italy, I complained to the hotel management, and they answer I could enjoy a free upgrade next time I come to Brisbane (but I live in Italy, and I'm not used to spend the week end in Brisbane...)

PS: wi-fi connection is 19aud per day

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank fedenmark
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2011

The Marriott is a clean comfortable place to stay, just a short walk to the city centre and The Valley. There are some great restaurants on the riverside boardwalk. The rooms are OK, the housekeeping excellent, but above all it is quiet - something often hard to get in the city. While it is decked out with marble, the restaurant prices are exorbitant, the flat screen TV in the room on the small side, TV reception poor, no free internet access, no milk supplied for making coffee and the room was not really much different from what you would find in a motel (I hate the fact that the the fridge is full of overpriced mini-bar stuff). This is an OK place but for the cost I think we'll try something else next time we're in Brisbane.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2010

This is a great Marriott, with good sized rooms and comfortable beds.
Check-in was very efficient and the receptionist helpful in explaining the hotel’s facilities. Arriving from the airport on an overnight flight, they even managed to find a room for us at 8am.
The room itself had all usual facilities, with a large but somewhat dated bathroom with tub and separate shower. TV had a good range of channels. Plenty of drawer/wardrobe space and a large safe. Kettle and coffee/tea making facilities. It is worth paying the extra for a high floor room with superb view over the river.
The hotel is quite centrally located and it is 5-10 minutes walk to ferries, main shopping centre, etc.
The Executive Lounge offered an ample breakfast and nice canapés and desserts in the evening. Coffee and limited soft drinks are available all day. The staff are very friendly and the Lounge is kept very clean with the tables regularly cleared. Free WiFi is available (in the Lounge only - you have to pay for it in your room and all other areas of the hotel). If I have a nag about it is that sometimes they were very slow in replenishing items that had run out.
The restaurant served good quality food at reasonable (for hotel) prices. Staff efficient, friendly and helpful. It gets busy, so a table reservation is probably a good idea.
There is a pool which can be either outdoor or indoor depending on if they fold away all the glass screens. The water is very cold! There is a small Jacuzzi. The gym is well equipped.
Finally, check out was quick and efficient and there is a taxi rank outside to speed you to your next destination.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yhi904
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We only stayed one night with a small child, heading to the show at QPAC. The reception staff were very professional and welcoming. The room was basic, quite small but clean and fitted it's purpose. We got two double beds as requested (these were not the largest double beds I have ever slept in) but comfortable. The hotel is very elegant and traditional in style. We had the seafood buffet that evening which was fine, but we had sittings so could not just stay all evening and enjoy the food and wine. The head waiter was quite fierce looking, and made you feel quite uncomfortable. We didn't have time to enjoy any of the facilities. The location was good for the city cat (ferry's that take you very quickly along the river).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank cove3
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2010

The location of this hotel is fairly centrally located. I had caught a coach transfer from Brisbane Airport and well priced and efficient.

I had arrived very early in the morning and checked-in. The receptionist advised that my room was not ready but that was ok. I didn't expect it to be considering that the cricket was on and a lot of the rooms would have been occupied.

I went for a walk while I waited for friends for lunch. I came back and they had my room ready. My request for a high floor was given to me. I had a view of the city and 2 double beds in my room. The room was large and quite spacious. The bathroom was also large and had a separate shower which is always appreciated.

I visited the spa to buy a gift voucher and the lady there was extremely nice and polite.

I also had room service and this was delivered efficiently.

Check-out was done with a smile. Overall this hotel was of a high standard and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo