“Historic building, fantastic service”

Treasury Hotel & Casino
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Historic building, fantastic service”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Third stay at the Treasury Hotel. It's located across the road and a small park from the casino and it oozes historic charm. The rooms are furnished with marble bathrooms and are large with all the mod cons. I can't really fault the hotel and have always had a great nights sleep in their wonderful beds. This type of place calls out for butlers and cigars, and it really is a nice place to stay. Very centrally located in Brisbane, next to the mall and river, and with a stones throw of pretty much the entire CBD.

Room Tip: I like the top floor overlooking the quadrangle courtyard. Away from the traffic noise and glare of...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cleveland
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I wanted a special hotel to spend my 50th birthday evening at while on my dream vacation to Australia. I chose the Treasury because of the reviews and photos, location and a splurge on a luxury hotel. There was no doorman or bellman to greet me at the door so I dragged my luggage inside myself, turned to the left and saw the front desk down the hall where everyone was having a chat fest. Strange not to have the front desk eyeing the front door-security reasons. Anyway, everyone was very nice, held my luggage while I went on with my day. Upon returning, I get my room key and I think I got one of the smallest rooms they have. It was nice but right in front of the elevator, and the door opened right into the room, no little entrance/vestibule at all. Nice marble bathroom, soaking tub, but be careful of the shower since it is elevated about 4 inches, I would say be cautious stepping down from there after a shower and wet feet. The bed was heavenly and the room was very clean and elegant looking in the furnishings and draperies. I had dinner at the casino Kitchen restaurant and the food was very good and priced reasonably well. The service was just ok.
I do have to mention Coop from concierge-I asked him for suggestions for a good steak dinner and he went above and beyond to try and find me a nice restaurant within walking distance. He is an asset to the hotel!
Good points is the hotel is lovely architecturally, lovely old historic building. The bed was awesome and I slept great. Location is great, walked to the river for my cruise and to Queen St mall.
I did not feel safe here however. As a woman traveling alone, to not have someone watching the front door was a little unnerving, esp when the elevators are right in front of the entrance and there are no security measures on the elevator (touch room key to make lift operate). Of all the hotels I stayed at in Australia, this is the only one I felt the need to place a chair in front of the door before I went to sleep. As for the price, yikes. I don't feel it's worth the price. I am glad I stayed here, I would always wonder about the hotel if I hadn't but I wouldn't stay here if I am in Brisbane again.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JessieNoelle
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Firstly, let me say that this is a magnificent hotel and where (mostly) you are treated like royalty. We have stayed several times and it has always been wonderful.
However, this time we stayed here twice in April. The first time was at a very good rate and we stayed one night. The next time we wanted to book for 4 nights, however the only room available was $500 per night. Our booking was done in a hurry due to an urgent call to Brisbane for family health problems, so we booked anyway.
When checking in the hotel also took a $500 bond (in case we ran away with the room or something). A bit rich I think, especially when we were paying so much per night.
Our other gripe was room service. We phoned 15 minutes before the cut off time of 10pm for pizza. We waited on line all that time for them to answer, and when someone did answer it was 2 minutes past 10. Too late, we couldn't have pizza. If they had answered straight away we could have had our pizza.
Fortunately we came to our senses and moved out the next day to somewhere cheaper. I must say they were very good and did not charge us any cancellation fee.
-We would stay again, but certainly not for $500 per night - and we would probably go out for food rather than rely on room service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Wicked00
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here a few times and this is definitely the best stay I have had a in Brisbane. The rooms are huge with very high ceilings and the interior décor is fantastic. Service is very good through out.

Location is good..walking distance to Queen street mall(under 3 minutes), Southbank (10 minutes.. can be seen from the hotel), CBD (5 minutes). The hotel is part of a casino but the casino is in a different building.

Overall stay was very good ad I will definitely stay at this property whenever possible.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MJ707
Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hubby and I have just spent 2 nights and I cannot recommend them highly enough. The rooms were very clean and maintained. The bed is always a concern for us but not here. We both could not get over how comfortable they were. The rooms are extremely quiet and if needed can be made to be very dark even in the middle of the day. Great for those naps in the day. Would stay again in an instant.

Room Tip: Any are great
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kazbev
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Went up to brisbane from the coast. Thought we would have a gamble and I lost my money but my husband won $700 and that was great. The building was very beautiful and was in a great spot but omg parking in Brisbane city was very expensive :(

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marcy2654
Gatton, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2013

i stayed two nights with my partner here in April 2013, the service was very friendly and the rooms were beautifully presented. If we could have fitted the bed out the window, we would have, the best night sleep i have had in a long time.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a getaway.
The hotel is close to shops, which are just a quick walk up the road.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple