“Never Again”

Ranked #63 of 158 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Never Again”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I've stayed at this Mirvac complex twice in the last six months and have been very disappointed both times. I find the staff are generally very smug and not overly helpful considering the rates they expect their guests to pay. When I checked in for example with luggage for a family of four the only person able to assist was the one girl at reception. The first visit I left a shirt in the room which happened to have my grandfather's gold cufflinks on it. After numerous calls I was never able to retrieve the shirt or cufflinks. The most recent visit we were paying in excess of $500/night for a family of four two bedroom apt. The carpets were badly stained and the rooms are tired including the beds and bathrooms, We avoided eating in the restaurant due to the service and pretty ordinary food quality , the buffet breakfast is a disgrace. Unfortunately Brisbane currently has a shortage of 5 star accomodation and the location of this place is excellent so the options are limited. Sadly it used to be so much better managed that it was easier to forgive them for a a few minor oversights. eg our room wasn't serviced on the saturday - to be fair the cleaner did turn up at 2pm and was asked to return after we had finished our lunch, never to be seen again.

Room Tip: Suggest they inspect the room on arrival
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Mat F, General Manager at Quay West Suites Brisbane, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Hi Simon M, It's always nice to receive commentary from a long-time guest who has experienced our property numerous times. Thank you for taking the time to provide some specific examples of areas how we could improve our overall guest experience and enhance what is, usually, considered a renowned level of service. With our apartments and restaurant having undergone a transformation over the last 9 months including carpets, furniture and fittings it is disappointing that any of these areas are noticeably affected by wear and rest assured we are working to identify the areas you mention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Irvine, California
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed at the Quay West for 6 nights. When we arrived, the room was made up and waiting for us. We anticipated two rooms with queen beds but were given one queen room and the other had two twin beds. We asked for a change and were in our new room in 10 minutes. The rooms are attractive but the view is amazing. We had a corner room so we had a balcony that wrapped around. We looked over the beautiful park.

The service is fantastic. I needed additional detergent for the laundry and it was delivered within minutes. I like a lot of extra pillows: done. I needed more sugar for tea: a bunch was delivered. We didn't cook any meals here but everything we would have needed was available.

The pool is wonderful! Other reviewers have said it but it is like it's own oasis. It was about 70 degrees out and the pool was actually warm. The hot tub is under a gazebo so you can go, regardless of the weather.

Internet service is available in the lobby for free. It is slow but gets the job done.

The hotel is across from the beautiful park which is great for a walk or letting the kids play on playground equipment.

You will be only a few blocks from the Queens St. Mall (every store you will need). I also recommend getting a Go Card to the water taxi/trains. We took the train to the Australia Zoo then spent one afternoon just riding the City Cat (water ferry) up and down the river. The card saves you money and makes traveling very convenient.

Food is everywhere but we really enjoyed the short walk along the water to George's Paragon for seafood. Lunch offers a half-priced menu.

If we ever go back to Brisbane, there is no doubt that we will stay a the Quay West.

Room Tip: Get a park-view room. A corner unit is great for additional views and windows.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank et0607
ChristopherStokoe, Front Office Manager at Quay West Suites Brisbane, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear et0607,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay here at Quay West Suites Brisbane!

I am glad you were able to make use of our amazing pool deck, it certainly is a little oasis in the middle of the city. I will also be sure to share your positive comments regarding our service with the greater hotel teams, it is pleasing to see that you had a fantastic stay with us.

CAIRNS
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My partner and I spent several days in an apartment at Quay West in May. We had a self-contained apartment on the 6th floor with a delightlful view of the Botanical Gardens. We found staff in all departments - front desk,porters, housekeeping and restaurant - were efficient, friendly and courteous. I had not driven in Brisbane for several years and the desk staff went out of her way to give me directions on how to get onto the M3 Expressway. We ate out most of the time but we did have two meals - a dinner and a breakfast at the inhouse restaurant. The quality of the food was excellent albeit a little pricey. We would concur with comments from other reviewers that the apartments are starting to look a bit dated but for our purposes they were clean, comfortable and well-equiped. There is some traffic noise, particularly from our balcony, as this is a busy part of Brisbane but this did not disturb us unduly. Generally we considered we got value for money for our stay at Quay West. The only exception was the parkling fee which we thought was on the high side since we were away most of the days during our stay - later we did find there was a casual parking station just around the corner which provided a cheaper alternative.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roncairns
ChristopherStokoe, Front Office Manager at Quay West Suites Brisbane, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Roncairns,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay here at Quay West Suites Brisbane!

It is pleasing to see you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make use of the hotels wonderful facilities. I will be sure to share your positive comments with the greater hotel teams.

Quay West Brisbane guarantees all hotel guests car parking – we offer a full valet service. Parking is charged at a rate of $30.00 per night, comparing to other Brisbane Five Star hotels offering this service we do offer a competitive rate.

Roncairns be sure to reach out to myself when next choosing to stay in Brisbane, it is our pleasure to welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Such a wonderful position, that close to the Gardens....makes the views from the rooms spectacular. Room was clean and well set up, but getting a bit dated now. The Bathroom was beautiful and luxurious. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bed was very comfy. The only downside, is a bit of traffic noise from the Freeway hums constantly.

Room Tip: Take the highest floor you can get.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kazbahtoo
ChristopherStokoe, Front Office Manager at Quay West Suites Brisbane, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Kazbahtoo,

Thank you for taking the time to post on your most recent Quay West experience. I am so pleased to see that you had a great stay with us!

Following our September 2011 refurbishment all our suites are looking fabulous. We look forward to welcoming you again do reach out to myself on your next stay with us.

Warm regards,

Canberra Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned home after a two night stay at the Quay West Suites in Brisbane. I booked through Wotif on a mystery deal and paid $395.95 for the two nights. This included the Wotif booking fee. It would appear that this was a good deal compared to the price being quoted on Quay West's own website. Breakfast was not included. It was advertised as 5 star however I would dispute this.

Pros:
We had a one bedroom apartment on the 6th floor overlooking the botanic gardens. The apartment was spacious and comfortable. Although we didn't use the kitchen it appeared to be well equipped. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Flat screen televisions were provided in the lounge and bedroom.

The view from the balcony to the botanic gardens was very good. The outdoor seating was modern, clean and comfortable.

The lady at reception (sorry, cant remember her name) was very efficient and friendly and provided us with detailed information about our bus queries.

The pool and spa area were delightful, very clean and surrounded by loads of outdoor furniture. The spa was big, hot and relaxing.

Quay West is well located and just a short stroll up Albert St to Queen St Mall. A taxi rank is located very close by.

Cons:
The eat in room service meal, although nice, was rather small and left me feeling hungry.

Alice Street is a very busy road and the traffic noise was very noticeable. Maybe a higher floor would have been better. I don't think the doors were double glazed. Fortunately the traffic did slow down later in the night so it did not disturb our sleep.

I don't think that this is a 5 star property as advertised on Wotif. The bathroom definitely let the apartment down and was in serious need of a facelift. The grouting, sealant and vanity looked old and grubby. Not what you would expect in a 5 star establishment.

No pool towels were provided so we had to use our room towels. To have pool towels would be a nice touch for a 5 star hotel.

There was no hotel service directory in our room.

All in all we had a pleasant stay at Quay West and we would stay again if we could get a good deal.

Room Tip: A room higher up might lessen traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clare P
Hello Clare P,

Thank you for taking the time to post your personal comments regarding your recent stay here at Quay West Brisbane!

It is pleasing to read that you were able to enjoy all the facilities that the hotel has to offer. Our convenient location, lush outlook and well appointed suites do make for a great stay. I’ll be sure to pass along your positive comments regarding my Front Office team – it certainly is our pleasure to assist.

Alice street being a main thoroughfare out of the city does attract a reasonable amount of bus and vehicle traffic throughout the day which can result in some residual noise. I was however pleased to see that this did not cause any disturbance for you in the evening.

I note your concerns without bathroom and will liaise direct with our Housekeeping team to ensure that we address and rectify this. I am also pleased to advise that Pool Towels are kept within the wardrobe in the master bedroom.

I do hope that we will see you return to Quay West Brisbane in the future, please be sure to reach out to myself direct for any future reservation needs.

Grafton, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Quay West. The staff were friendly and very helpful. My husband is recovering from a MVA so our stay was made much more manageable by their professionalism and responsiveness to our requests or questions. The apartments are in a great position with great faciilities. Unfortunately we were not able to make full use of these (ie pool/gym) due to the nature of my husbands injuries, however we enjoyed the atmosphere of the complex and would recommend to others. Thankyou to the staff for making our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ChristopherStokoe, Front Office Manager at Quay West Suites Brisbane, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Hello Jenny P,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay! I’ll be sure to share your lovely feedback with the greater hotel team.

We certainly do wish your husband a speedy recovery back to good health! In the event your travels to bring to back to Brisbane, be sure to reach out to myself direct.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have stayed in both junior suites and 2 bedroom apartment. The rooms were self contained sooo handy when staying with young children. We had everything we needed in the kitchen and laundry. Having a balcony is great - enjoyed many an apertif in the evening. The views are lovely over the gardens and the kangaroo point cliffs. It is a 15 minute walk to the centre of the city and a 10 minute taxi to the valley, 5 mins to south bank. Staff are professional and attentive. The breakfast offerings were a bit dismal though.Room service was OK.

Room Tip: High floor, corner rooms offer the best view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear miss_lolly,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your most recent Quay West experience! I was so pleased to read that you were able to relax and take in the wonderful views our suites offer. Your positive comments on our team are well received I’ll be sure to pass it along!

I value your thoughts on our breakfast and in room dining and I will be sure to touch base with Executive Chef Alan on the matter.

miss_lolly I do hope the team and I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Quay West Brisbane! Please do contact me direct for any future reservation needs.

Kind regards,