“Reliable and Pleasant”

The Sebel Quay West Brisbane
Ranked #64 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed at Quay West many times in it's early days but had not done so for a few years prior to this visit. I was pleasantly surprised that it has kept up with the times. The apartment was roomy and well equipped. Staff were pleasant and the room service meal I ordered was good. It is a great location overlooking the gardens and in close proximity to the city centre.
I was a little disappointed with the absence of basics like plunger coffee and other useful food items that used to be offered for purchase.
Overall it remains a nice placee to stay.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Alastair N,

Thank you for your recent review here on Trip Advisor – the team and I here at Quay West Suites Brisbane appreciate your positive comments on both our product and service.

Be sure to contact myself on your next stay with us!

There are newer reviews for The Sebel Quay West Brisbane

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here in early June 2012, just for one night. We booked a queen sized bedroom for $135 (+ booking fee) on a hotel booking website and ended up being upgraded to a three bedroom suite with living area, a kitchen a large balcony and two bathrooms!
Parking is a little expensive ($30 per day), but we were able to park on the street between 7pm and 7am for free, which suited us as we were leaving early for a flight.
Some of the decor was a little outdated, but still in good condition. The bath tub in the ensuite was a good size.
I couldn't find a safe (but didn't look thoroughly), so perhaps call them first if this would be important for you.
With the kitchen, small dining table, and larger table plus chairs on the balcony this type of suite would be great for a family or a group of people wanting to stay a few days and make their own breakfasts, etc, Although I have no idea how much the suite would normally cost.
Overall, pleasant staff, reasonably quiet and good value (although, I know we got lucky!).

Room Tip: Our suite was on a corner of the building, so the balcony had a great view overlooking Brisbane.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Dandy33,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor your recent experience of Quay West Brisbane! The team and I are pleased to hear you had a great stay with us.

Following the hotels refurbishment in September of 2011 which covered the majority of our guest suites, Lobby, Event suites and McMahons Restaurant the hotel is looking fantastic. We are very proud of our new look. I do apologise that you could not find the in room safe – our Guest Service team is available 24hours/ 7days a week and would have been only too pleased to offer further assistance.

Do reach out to myself direct when next coming to stay at Quay West Suites Brisbane.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Booked for 3nights & paid in advance via Discover Australia.We arrived too early & the room was not ready having sat on planes for 24 hours & it was 8am we left our cases & walked around the Botanical Gardens -beautiful & had coffee in the South Bank area. A call came to say room ready early for us 1pm. It was set up for 2 not 3! We hadn't been up graded or free internet plus no $50 voucher as the offer stated. Jet lagged we tried to sort it out but felt shown up at the desk eventually told internet free from lobby tried it & went back to room to find teenage son asleep in our bed so we left with the bed settee in the lounge that had just been made up 5pm! The next morning a note was under the door, they had checked & we should have internet & voucher but they where not upgrading us. I felt like I had paid on the cheap but if I had booked as a member I knew I could have got the whole deal & breakfast for less I found that after booking. Making us feel more uncomfortable no directory so you have to ask the desk for everything, if you don`t know you cant use it feeling! You loose more business this way. We did not spend a further penny with them or use their voucher. We couldn't wait to leave we've stayed all over the world 7* to 0 this is the worst we have ever been treated. Glad to say the rest of the trip we had a fantastic time with problems but lets say this hotel needs to take some lessons from their fellow country men. Not worth the extra!

Room Tip: 1 bedroom for 4 means 1 bedroom with 1 double & the settee is made up as a double & left up...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ricochetsmum
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear ricochetsmum,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay here at Quay West Suites Brisbane. I do recall our conversation on the afternoon of your arrival concerning the package inclusions offered to you by your booking agent.

In light on you bringing the matter to our attention my team and I were able to clarify your reservation inclusions with the booking agent and proactively took steps to resolve your concerns. Per our conversation, in light of you having travelled internationally and you wishing to have an afternoon nap we choose not to further disturb you with a phone call. In light of this we placed a note under your door asking you contact the Manager of Duty at your convenience.

As part of our Best Rate Guarantee, had you chosen to book your reservations through Quay West Brisbane’s own branded website we would have been only too pleased to match the same inclusions being offered to you through your agent.

ricochetsmum, I do hope that on your return to Brisbane you will choose to stay with Quay West, it would be our pleasure to welcome to back to the hotel. Be sure to reach out to myself direct if I can offer any reservation assistance.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed at the Quay West for one night in May 2012.

There are many of these hotel/apartment complexes in Brisbane now, and I've stayed at most over the years. They all offer a pretty similar package, with a bit more room than any of the hotels in the city and access to kitchen/laundry.

The Quay West differentiates itself mostly through offering a far higher level of service than its competitors, who seem to use mostly untrained reception staff. It was nice to go into one of these places and have a sense that people were really out to help, even if it was just with little requests that I made.

Quay West seems to come up on 'mystery rooms' quite a bit, and the price I paid was very, very good value for a room of this size.

Location is a little out of the direct centre of the city, but it's very nice to be able to look over the Botanic Gardens / River in the morning, and another 5 minutes walk up to Queen St Mall is hardly a major issue.

Jarring points were the ridiculously expensive and not very fast internet (come on guys, surely it's time that this was free???) and $30 a night parking.

If you can get a reasonable price, though, I would strongly recommend Quay West.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ian_Pratt
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Dear Ian_Pratt,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent Quay West experience on Trip Advisor! I was pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and have shared your great feedback with a the wider hotel teams.

I do thank you for your feedback concerning the various Internet packages offered here at Quay West. I also wanted to advise that complimentary Wi-Fi is available for the use of hotel guests in the Lobby.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The hotel requires a make over, our room was very sad and needed some TLC.
I have tried since to contact Quay West to make our concerns known, as we usually very much enjoy our Quay West stay, but my messages are going unanswered.
One great asset they do have is the staff. All the members of the team are fantasic.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Mat F, General Manager at The Sebel Quay West Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear MrClayton, Thank you very much for appreciating the efforts of our team to consistently provide a warm, friendly approach to guest service - we have shared the feedback at our recent Associate meeting and their response was fantastic! I was however concerned that attempts made to contact the hotel to discuss your stay were unsuccessful and would be appreciative if you were to contact me personally to share your feedback as the majority of the property has now been refurbished and it is my priority to ensure that any aspects which could be further enhanced be attended to or planned for.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I've stayed at this Mirvac complex twice in the last six months and have been very disappointed both times. I find the staff are generally very smug and not overly helpful considering the rates they expect their guests to pay. When I checked in for example with luggage for a family of four the only person able to assist was the one girl at reception. The first visit I left a shirt in the room which happened to have my grandfather's gold cufflinks on it. After numerous calls I was never able to retrieve the shirt or cufflinks. The most recent visit we were paying in excess of $500/night for a family of four two bedroom apt. The carpets were badly stained and the rooms are tired including the beds and bathrooms, We avoided eating in the restaurant due to the service and pretty ordinary food quality , the buffet breakfast is a disgrace. Unfortunately Brisbane currently has a shortage of 5 star accomodation and the location of this place is excellent so the options are limited. Sadly it used to be so much better managed that it was easier to forgive them for a a few minor oversights. eg our room wasn't serviced on the saturday - to be fair the cleaner did turn up at 2pm and was asked to return after we had finished our lunch, never to be seen again.

Room Tip: Suggest they inspect the room on arrival
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Hi Simon M, It's always nice to receive commentary from a long-time guest who has experienced our property numerous times. Thank you for taking the time to provide some specific examples of areas how we could improve our overall guest experience and enhance what is, usually, considered a renowned level of service. With our apartments and restaurant having undergone a transformation over the last 9 months including carpets, furniture and fittings it is disappointing that any of these areas are noticeably affected by wear and rest assured we are working to identify the areas you mention.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed at the Quay West for 6 nights. When we arrived, the room was made up and waiting for us. We anticipated two rooms with queen beds but were given one queen room and the other had two twin beds. We asked for a change and were in our new room in 10 minutes. The rooms are attractive but the view is amazing. We had a corner room so we had a balcony that wrapped around. We looked over the beautiful park.

The service is fantastic. I needed additional detergent for the laundry and it was delivered within minutes. I like a lot of extra pillows: done. I needed more sugar for tea: a bunch was delivered. We didn't cook any meals here but everything we would have needed was available.

The pool is wonderful! Other reviewers have said it but it is like it's own oasis. It was about 70 degrees out and the pool was actually warm. The hot tub is under a gazebo so you can go, regardless of the weather.

Internet service is available in the lobby for free. It is slow but gets the job done.

The hotel is across from the beautiful park which is great for a walk or letting the kids play on playground equipment.

You will be only a few blocks from the Queens St. Mall (every store you will need). I also recommend getting a Go Card to the water taxi/trains. We took the train to the Australia Zoo then spent one afternoon just riding the City Cat (water ferry) up and down the river. The card saves you money and makes traveling very convenient.

Food is everywhere but we really enjoyed the short walk along the water to George's Paragon for seafood. Lunch offers a half-priced menu.

If we ever go back to Brisbane, there is no doubt that we will stay a the Quay West.

Room Tip: Get a park-view room. A corner unit is great for additional views and windows.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank et0607
ChristopherStokoe, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Quay West Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear et0607,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay here at Quay West Suites Brisbane!

I am glad you were able to make use of our amazing pool deck, it certainly is a little oasis in the middle of the city. I will also be sure to share your positive comments regarding our service with the greater hotel teams, it is pleasing to see that you had a fantastic stay with us.