“Loved our 5 week stay!”

The Sebel Quay West Brisbane
Ranked #68 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The 2 of us had a 1 bedroom apartment on the 11th floor overlooking the Botanical Gardens, and didn't want to leave! Loved everything about our stay......the view and lovely long sized deck to enjoy it from. Bedroom is a reasonable size with good cupboard storage & TV a plus. A separate laundry that was perfect! Bathroom sufficient, some may suggest could do with a more modern touch, not a worry for us. Kitchen, dining and lounge all very workable and with comfort.
Kitchen is great, but for longer stays, it could do with a few extra's. We spoke with management and there is already a plan in place to address this. We found all staff very friendly and efficient!!
Used the pool daily, good size for laps. Quay West is so close to all one would need....gardens, bike paths, pedestrian bridge, coffee shops, restaurants. In the city but on the edge in a relatively quiet street!
Love this place!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mat F, General Manager at The Sebel Quay West Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear DonnaH,

We are so pleased that we were able to turn a traditional hotel stay into a comfortable and relaxing 'home away from home' for your extended stay. Our unique apartment product certainly provides ample space to make yourself at home no matter the length of stay and it is equally pleasing to learn that my team continue to be responsive and accommodating.

We look forward to hosting you again when you next visit Brisbane.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed in a one bedroom garden apartment for 3 nights. I can only have positives for the apartment and the very helpful staff. Great location and would recommend it for business users or families. Maybe a couple more pans may have been good, but that is not a complaint more of a recommendation for the hotel. Overall a 5 star stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Mat F, General Manager at The Sebel Quay West Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear robbo131313,

Thank you for your kind words following your recent visit, it is wonderful to learn that we not only provided a comfortable stay but also friendly service. The recommendation you make regarding additional cooking equipment is already in place through our housekeeping team however I ensure this is more clearly communicated.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

#1 Unfortunately for me, somehow they managed to overbook the hotel and I recieved a phone call shortly before my departure to inform me that my booking was changed to their sister hotel in the city.
#2 I was told that my new booking information would be emailed to me but after landing in Brisbane I still hadn't recieved any email and had to phone the new hotel to confirm that I was even booked in.
#3 After checking in ok I was looking forward to a sleep in from a big day of travel and jet lag but I was woken up by people WALKING INTO MY ROOM after one quick knock and waking me up on THREE seperate occasions. The first time was at 7am (5am my time) then the same lady AGAIN at around 8am and somebody else at 830am. I was extremely disappointed and tired and told the front desk when I checked out who didn't say anything more than a quick "sorry about that".

#4. Due to their lack of concern I contacted my booking agent to complain who attempted to get some sort of apology or compensation from Quay West but instead I was made out to be a liar (they stated I was offered a free buffet breakfast, when I said that noone ever offered me the breakfast they responded by saying that I was DEFINATELY informed!) They also said that my alternative accommodation was at the same value and therefor no compensation will be given.

I was after an APOLOGY Quay West! And no due to your response to the situation I have now made the effort to place this review on all websites I can find.

If only one person who reads this decides to go with another hotel becuase of the risk of going through what I did, then I will feel compensated. Next time you should treat all paying customers with respect and take responsibility of your mistakes!

Room Tip: If you are sent to their sister hotel, ensure the staff know your room is occupied to save being wok...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank W A

Dear WA,

We understand that selecting a hotel is a very personal decision and sincerely apologise that alternate arrangements were made for your Brisbane visit. Whilst it is rare that we are faced with the need to relocate a valued guest I can assure you that every attempt would have been made to avoid this situation however it appears that the subsequent handling of the situation was far below our usual standard. Whilst I am unable to ascertain the specifics of your reservation from this review I would like to discuss further to ensure we can appropriately respond. Again, I am extremely sorry for the handling of this situation and would welcome the opportunity to rectify personally.

Mat Finch – Hotel Manager
H8783-GM@accor.com / +61 7 3853 6000

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Great room , nice location ,but I was absolutely floored by the charges for an overseas call which they billed us for.
Do not use the phones in this hotel ,both local and long distance charges were astronomical .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Zeus,

Whilst we are naturally pleased that you enjoyed both the apartment and hotel location, we are extremely sorry that your experience was impacted by a billing issue. Whilst our local calls are a fixed charge, international calls are charged on a 'per minute' basis and I believe my team have already removed this charge from your invoice following communication directly with the hotel. If this is not the case pelase contact me directly and I will give this my immediate attention.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Mat F, General Manager at The Sebel Quay West Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Reviewed 19 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was a great hotel/apartment close to the Botanic Gardens. The Reception area was lovely and the staff there were friendly and helpful.

The apartment was very nice indeed. It had a nicely furnished bedroom with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was very nice with lovely decor. The shower door does not close properly though so water does seep out onto the bathroom floor. There was adequate wardrobe space and shelving. The lounge was a good size and the balcony opened from this and the bedroom. The kitchenette was well equipped with a large fridge/freezer. There was also a small utility room. We had a problem starting the washing machine but a service engineer was up in 2 minutes and helped us out.

Continental breakfast was included and the food quality was good and fresh. Nice selection if cereals, breads, pastries and fruit with cheeses and cold meats.

This hotel deserves the 5 star rating apart from one thing that badly lets it down. The biggest problem with this hotel is the internet access. We have been travelling all over Australia and it definitely seems to be that the more you pay for accommodation the worse/most expensive the internet access is. Wifi should be free to all guests in their rooms in a 5 star hotel, but if not it should be available to purchase. Lots of people use appliances that require wifi these days. We were offered a wired broadband service in the rooms, which was available to buy but this was no good because we both had iPads. We were able to get a free 30 minute session in the lobby. It said on the ticket that it was for 30 minutes per device per day, which is appalling. We were travelling for a long time and were doing lots of interactions via the internet. Each access code for each person was different and written on pieces of paper, they expired after half an hour. Someone was presumably paid to generate all these codes and write them down. The staff were clearly embarrassed at having to do this, especially when so many smaller establishments offer it continually for free.
The manager wrote to me because of my comments in his survey and always referred to me under my husband's name despite my female name being in my email address, on the lead name of the booking and I said I was female in his survey. If he can't get that right maybe he won't be able to sort the wifi.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mat F, General Manager at The Sebel Quay West Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Hevsy,

I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Quay West Suites Brisbane. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback particularly relating to the hotel design, decor and service as well as the breakfast our restaurant serves.

We are in the process of configuring wi-fi access in all Premium River View apartments (an upgraded room type) and I can reassure you that this room type also includes internet access free of charge. We also make available complimentary internet access to all loyalty members (silver level and above) as well as for all guests in the lobby, as you mention.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Mat Finch