Royal On The Park
US$175
US$165
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Mercure Brisbane King George Square(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$94
  • Restaurant
Hotel Jen Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$97
US$218
US$202
Sofitel
  • Restaurant
Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$87
US$77
US$74
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Mantra Terrace Hotel(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$72
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
The Point Brisbane Hotel(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$123
Orbitz.com
US$68
Hotels.com
1,318 results
All reviewsbotanic gardenswalnut restaurantwalnut roomacross the roadpark viewgreat locationthe riveralbert streetfree wifishort walkbuffet breakfastbit datedsouth bankrooms are largewithin easy walking distanceenjoyable stayqueen st mall
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I found this hotel and its' quite nice. The staff at check in and check out were very helpful and courteous. The room was large and the bed very comfortable. It had a huge fluffy doona (...helpful in Queensland) that was so cozy. The furnishings were comfortable and had a bit of a plush feel.

The bathroom was renovated, but you could easily see that it was a renovation of an old style bathroom. It had heaps of bench space and the shower was hot and had great water pressure.

The breakfast was disappointing. I ordered room service toast and croissants. The croissants were quite nice, but the toast was foul! Although hot, it was absolutely stale and rock hard.

I may stay there again as the location was very good- across the road from the botanic gardens and a close to the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
ROTP_RDM, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

We are pleased to see that at all interactions you found our team members helpful and professional.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your bathroom and found all its amenities and features up to your expectation.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I work for a global medical corporation and have visitors from inter-state and international need to travel to Brisbane. I mentioned on check-in that I needed to find a place for both myself and our many work visitors to stay and use regularly. I need to come to Brisbane (from Sunshine Coast) and stay quite frequently to work with our Brisbane team. It happened that our son needed to be in Brisbane for an operation, so I took the opportunity to stay at the hotel and review it whilst there. I have other family members who were looking for a hotel as well, as they weren't happy with the ultra-modern refurbishments of hotels in Brisbane city, so I needed to review for them. Thinking I had finally found a place that certain family members would be happy with, the elegant decor and location and options on the menus I had viewed, I was feeling confident that we had found a hotel we could all use frequently. Unfortunately, that's where it all ended ... on examination of everything that occurred during our short stay, I think the main fault would have to be poor communication on all levels, beginning with at check-in being told the car park was at the opposite end to where it was located. At breakfast on Saturday morning, we went to the buffet to see a very long line of nearly all breakfast diners, and no eggs out, no toast, no bacon and a stressed out restaurant manager, who did deal with the situation, but it certainly was slow. When I noticed there was no soy milk out, I mentioned there were 2 people at our table who were lactose intolerant and if I could please have some soy milk (I had enjoyed a soy milk cappuccino in the lounge bar the night before - excellent service from Tommy too!, so I knew they had soy milk) ... the manager needed to get the food out, so I had to wait quite a long time for the milk. In the meantime, my coffee went ice cold. I was even thinking of walking up to our room and making a coffee up there, because it would have been quicker, and I had soy milk upstairs. Then, my breakfast was cold waiting so long (I need a drink when I eat) - the milk arrived ... but he brought me skim milk. I didn't realise until I had it in 2 cups of coffee. Also, when I went approached the coffee machine to pour another cup of coffee, the Manager said “Oh, you can’t use it – we are waiting for more milk”. There was a large line up again at the second coffee machine. I had to explain that I just needed the water, which was fully operable and he replied, “Oh that’s right, you have skim milk”. Once again, the communication skill of "listening" was absent. We took our children for a swim in the pool and I started having abdominal cramps - no doubt from the lactose I was served ... went to our room ... and we were locked out. I, a middle aged woman dressed up for an afternoon appointment, had to sit on the floor in the hallway outside our room and wait for my husband and one child to go down and get sorted. The cleaner just kept staring at me - surely if you are a staff member, there obviously is a problem, and you would approach the guest and see if you could sort ??? My husband said when he approached the lady at reception and said we had been locked out, he said she was obnoxious and full of attitude and said "That's because it is passed check out time". My husband had to show her the paperwork which proved we had paid for late check-out, then she only wanted to update one room card, instead of the two cards we were issued with. As he approached me sitting in the hallway, he said "We are not ever staying here again!". Instead of taking advantage of the late check-out we grabbed our gear and got out of there immediately. I was so over being there and the kids were stressed - especially the one who had the operation - he was supposed to be there recooperating and getting rest. Someone said to me - "Pure Gold on the hotel's behalf!". We encountered in our time there, 3 staff who excelled in customer service, but the others were bogans. You can market the hotel as much as you like as up-market and decorate it in nice furniture, but if you don't have 100% of staff on board and giving a great service, then what's the point in spending all the money on refurbishments and advertising. Word of mouth speaks. The cleaner approached us as we were leaving and asked us if we were going, and I said "yes". She said, "well they haven't told me to clean your room - it's not down to be cleaned today". Firstly, what does that have to do with us and secondly, I am imaging a surprise for the next guests assigned to the room! Also, my eldest son fell into the mud when we visited the park, so I obtained the correct number of $1 coins to run a washing load in the laundry, plus laundry detergent and use of the dryer - $7 in coins. The laundry powder machine had 2 dispensers - the first one ate my money and the powder seemed jammed in there. I had to use another of the coins in the other dispenser (which worked), but then I didn't have enough to use to complete the washing and drying cycles. I sent my eldest son to reception as I was in the laundry to sort out, but they didn't send anyone to un-jam the detergent dispenser and they wouldn't give him another $1 coin for me. So, the next person would have had the same problem as I did! I had to wear a wet skirt the next day. In our room - the beds were comfy, and the room service food was of a high standard. But the complimentary shower cap was missing out of the box in the bathroom - I had curled my hair and went to get the shower cap out of the box to have a shower, but it was empty and had to have a shower without one and had to recurl my hair again. At check-out, I wasn't asked at all "How was my stay?" and no talking to me at all. Maybe it was the lady who my husband encountered to fix us being locked out, and maybe she recognised our son with me? Maybe she wasn't game to ask me? Yes, we were all disappointed and I have to now submit my review to my employer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dale B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to share your opinion.

As you can see from the reviews of many others on this forum, our guests recognise the commitment to service we provide and this is usually a point of difference in our reviews. I am deeply saddened to see that our usual high standards of service delivery have not been afforded to you.

I offer my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and would be more than happy to invite you back to the hotel with my compliments so I can showcase our award winning team to you and provide that they are capable of much much more.

Please contact myself directly at anytime on 07 3221 3411 if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Royal On The Park is not a bad hotel. It's just an average one and a bit too expensive for what you get (in comparison to the other hotels we stayed in during our 3 weeks in Australia).

The good:
- The location is nice, you're really close to Queen St. and facing the beautiful Botanic garden
- Our room (fourth floor) was quiet

The bad:
- The room was really dusty..
- The bathroom time traveled from the 70s.. Nothing against the 70s but this one was really not in good shape. Looked like an antique Eastern Germany bathroom
- The service was disappointing. We asked basic questions about things to do around Brisbane to various people at the reception desk and they only gave us a few leaflets.. None of them seemed familiar with the region
- Internet rates are outrageously high if you're used to European/US hotels. It's apparently usual in Australia..

One morning, the fire alarm rang inside the whole hotel.. It was a test but we haven't been notified in advance. It's not a nice way to wake your customers up. It wasn't early in the morning but as we were still tired from the long flight we slept a bit longer. Anyway: they should let their customer know in advance.

We won't stay there again. I'm sure Brisbane can offer much better for less money ( at least we found it in Melbourne and Sydney).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ROTP_RDM, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank for your taking the time to provide us with your feedback – we hoped you enjoyed your time in Australia!

I was disappointed to learn that you did not find our team knowledgeable regarding activities in Brisbane – we do invest much in their training and product knowledge and we often conduct team building and training exercises based on activities that our guests can do whilst in Brisbane. As you can see from other guests comments, usually our Front Office team are not only exemplary in their provision of service, but also very knowledgeable in their local culture. Please do accept my apologies for the shortcomings in the service you have received – I will ensure our Front Office Manager conducts some training exercises on basic attractions within Brisbane to avoid another guest experiencing this.

I was also saddened to see that the cleanliness of your room was not up to your standards. We have recently begin a preventative maintenance program where team members from all departments outside of housekeeping, perform spot checks on the cleanliness of our rooms at random. This data is collated on our iPads and monthly the management will review the summary data for any cleanliness issues that we need to target. I will discuss your specific incident with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that our high standards are being maintained in terms of room dust.

With regards to the comments you made about the Fire Alarm – as per legislation we do conduct two fire drills per year to ensure our team are trained in emergency situations. A letter advising all guests of this was dropped to every room on the Sunday at around 2pm – however our team must have missed your room. Please again accept my apologies for this – I too would not appreciate that type of wake up call and agree that all guests should be given advance notice.

Whilst we certainly did experience some shortfalls in our usual levels of service which are inexcusable, I was happy to see that our location was good for you and that you found your newly soundproofed room very quiet.

Thank you again for your stay and your feedback – I hope that I can now use your experience as a training tool with our team to ensure that we are always ensuring that Service comes First.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Staying in Brisbane overnight we decided on the Royal on the Park as we had been there about 10 years ago. The refurbishment throughout the hotel has been well done. The swimming pool out the back seems very family friendly. The business centre did what we needed - print our boarding passes for the next day. The hotel is opposite the Botanical Gardens and is close to the river walk where we had dinner. Staff were relaxed and friendly. The hotel is on the edge of the CBD. but has a taxi rank outside and is opposite the free shuttle bus service. We'll defiitely be going back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to provide your great review.

We are very pleased to see that you have enjoyed the Refurbished, Refreshed and Renewed Royal on the Park and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I regularly have business in Brisbane and had hoped to add Royal on the park to my usual hotels but sadly it lets itself down in a number of ways:-

1) The internet - I have seen previous comments criticising the price and the manager Nick Ellis replies thats its in line with other hotels. Well, its not, yes $27 for 24hrs may be in line with other hotels but other hotels are unlimited bandwidth unlike the Royal which offers 200mb on its cable or 100mb on the wifi. In this day and age a 100mb is easily burnt and results in the internet seeming shocklingly expensive. Both the Stamford and meriton are $25 and if they have bandwidth limit i have never even come close to hitting it and have watched TV shows online even.

2) The lobby just feels very 1980's somehow

3) i had a room with two double beds yet only 1 bedside lamp, standard practice is usually a lamp to each side of the bed

The royal blls itself as a 4 star establishment but to really compete needs to get the above right but also the little things given the price they charge like branded miniatures in the bathroom and at least one complimentary bottle of water in the rooms.

Overall I left feeling let down by this hotel, however, on the positive the room was clean and the bed and the pillows were comfy but given I often find the Royal priced at a similar level to the far superior Stamford plaza I just cant see myself staying here again until they fix the above.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your opinions to us.

I would be keen to speak with you regarding your comments about our internet offering because your experience does not reconcile fully with the system that the hotel has in place. I would like to check that you have connected using the in-room guest system and not the public access system ensuring you have been billed correctly for your usage.

When purchasing the $27.50 from your room, hotel guests are allocated 1000mb of data at full speed (approx. 20mbs) – which is then slowed to 128kpbs after 200mb is used. This Fair Use policy is applied by our internet provider to ensure that all guests who use the internet are not affected by one guest who monopolises the network by downloading vast amounts of data such as movies or video. I can assure you that Docomo-Intertouch who are the internet providers of the Stamford group also have a similar system in place.

Having said that – we recognise that internet services in Australian hotels seem overpriced and under delivered.

Whilst I cannot provide full details now as we are still finalising the small print, Royal on the Park is pleased to say that we are committed to launching an industry changing internet service to our guests that will be incomparable with any other major Australian hotel. We will not only provide speeds never before seen but also free data allowances for every guest and after that allowance is used, we will provide the cheapest internet at the fastest speed possible on the Australian Market. I do hope to have more on this subject within a month and once this system goes live, I’d be more than happy to organise an unlimited trial for you on your next stay. We plan to have this new project up and running within the next 3 months.

Our lobby features the original walnut paneling from when the hotel was built and is one of the only remaining materials after our full refurbishment. We have kept these panels as our strong clientele of regular guests tell us that they love the “club like” feel the paneling provides. I do appreciate that the wood paneling may not be everyone’s style.

With regards to your comments about branded amenities – that’s also a “watch this space area” and I hope that within a month or two I may be able to fix this issue for you as well.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback – I hope you can see we are a hotel that listens to our guests and within a few months of today a number of the issues you raised will be fixed permanently and I can welcome you back again.

Please do contact myself directly on 07 3211 3411 if you wish to discuss further or take me up on the offer of the trial to our next internet system.

Regards,