“Shame about the short falls”
Review of Royal On The Park

Royal On The Park
Ranked #28 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Queensland
“Shame about the short falls”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Hi everyone back again with a new review, this time in Australia. My partner and I have just stayed at this hotel which we took an Executive Spa Suite. The hotel itself has under gone a refurbishment/upgrade and I have to say our Suite was beautiful especially with the views over the Botanic Gardens, the bed was to die for so comfortable in all a great Suite. Now a few problems we struck and some criticisms. First of all there was no mini bar menu in the room, no pillow menu and we found that the mini bar had not been checked so nearly charged for goods we did not have. There are 3 umbrellas by the pool not nearly enough especially with Brisbane's hot sun, although I must say the biggest pool I've encountered in Brisbane. The 2 toilets in the Suite did not flush properly and had no ventilation so the smells lingered, we had to open the Suites entrance door to aerate the room. They have a 24 hour room service menu, but when we went to order where told they only had Chips and Pizza, ordered 2 of each, took 1 and half hours and then they dropped one of the pizzas and tool would have to make another, not at all good. The staff in the restaurant and the front desk, excluding a lovely lady on check in where stuffy, pompous and generally quite rude, we where charge parking which on booking where told would be free and Paul on the desk was quite rude dealing with taking it off the bill, totally not a good person to have dealing face to face with clients. All in all people, we will never stay at this hotel again, even though we loved the room. Be quite aware that Breakfast is an extra $25.00 Continental and $35.00 Cooked, and you will be slugged $25.00 for parking even though you park yourself, also the porters are not exactly that, they just deliver the luggage to the room, it is up to you to get it out of your car. Good luck I feel for the price $379.00 per night you could do a lot better else where.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin R
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Dear Kevin R. Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay. I am sorry that your experience did not match your expectation of the hotel.

I apologise that the mini bar menu was not in the room and the mini bar itself was not re-stocked, leading you to doubt our billing procedure. This procedure is under review to avoid this happening in the future. Information regarding pillows, the room service menu and other useful information is located in the guest compendium. There are 5 umbrellas located by the pool as well as several palm trees to provide shade and I feel this is suitable, otherwise the area would be too cluttered and become a hazard.

The in room dining menu changes often and is subject to change. Unfortunately the menu was not to your liking and one of your meals was dropped and needed to be re-cooked. Our parking and breakfast rates are very competitive amongst Brisbane hotels and these prices are checked weekly to ensure they stay that way.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Indonesian first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2013

when i arrived i was very surprised and so happy my room was the spa room overlookin the park and the city it was breathtaking the bed was a slice of heavn the pillows so nice and comfy.then we went down to dinner at the 3course meal the angus steak was oh my god this is beautiful with red wine and the soup so deep and creamy and the raspberry tart oh wow plus they have coffee which is so hot.plus the doorman with the beard he is one of the nicest man u can meet.i love this hotel its warm and inviting and they are all happy.im going to miss the bed its huge and comfy its a slice of heavn.thanks for a awesome weekend

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank rebecca w
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Dear rebecca w. Thank you for the glowing review from your recent stay. I'm so pleased that the rooms, the staff and the food all exceeded your expections and we made your weekend so memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Royal on many occasions. We live in Brisbane but sometimes use the hotel as a base in the City for shopping, theatre, dining etc.
All rooms are spacious and quiet with some having views over the Botanical Gardens.
The staff are most accommodating and most times we can get into our room before official check in time. The property is perfectly positioned to take advantage of nearby shops and restaurants and only a 10 - 15 minute walk to Southbank with it's fabulous attractions.
The Walnut Room on site restaurant is classy and serves up wonderful fresh food - the red card (a free loyalty card) is also worth applying for as it gives great dining discounts.
And lastly, a free ipad is available to all guests during the stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with with views over the Gardens (may have to pay a little more).
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank C
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Frank C. Thank you for taking the time to review Royal on the Park. I'm always pleased to read that our staff and the hotel are still exceeding your expectations after many stays. The team work tirelessly to provide top service and provide the reason you keep returning.

I will pass on your kind words regarding the Walnut lounge and restaurant to the Food and Beverage manager as he and our Executive Chef will have a new menu for you to sample shortly.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Brisbane
Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Stay here cause of a work party in City. This is not my first stay at this hotel, Staff are friendly & very helpful. Rooms are a great size & clean. Love the new 2 bins in the rooms. I recycle .

Location is great, central to the CBD, walking distance to all major venues with CBD.

I will be back

• Stayed December 2012
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Brissyaflfan. Thank you for your review after your December stay. It's always pleasing to hear that the hotel and the team are still exceeding your expectations after many stays.

We look forward to greeting you again in the near future.

Warm Regards

Proserpine
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My children & I stayed at Royal on the Park twice during the Christmas Holiday period & we completely loved it. The rooms were so lovely, exactly what the pictures look like on the website. The staff were really polite & helpful with my queries & offered to change our room when the tv/movie service wouldn't work one day. It was great having several bus stops along the same street & taxis waiting just outside the hotel. We will definitely be staying at the Royal again when we have our next holiday in Brisbane.

• Stayed December 2012
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Emashaedance. Thank you for taking the time to review the property following your recent stay. I'm glad that the hotel and the team were able to exceed your expectations and you found the location to your convenience.

I'm looking forward to greeting you again on your next stay.

Warm Regards

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We recently stayed at Royal on the Park for 2 nights & it was a great experience overall. I got a deal on Groupon & it was excellent value for money. Especially with the free Brisbane Wheel tickets that were included.

The rooms are lovely & well presented with cute Royal on the Park teddies on the bed. The bed itself (a real king! not just 2 twins pushed together) was comfortable. The room & bathroom are nice & clean. A big plus for me was the rubbish/recycling bin - I'm a recycling fan & was happy to see that was an option in the room. The room also had good tea/coffee making facilities - had a kettle & nice twinings tea. Mini bar is expensive - but what mini bar isn't? Bottle of water cost $4.50!! The air con worked well.

My only real complaints regarding the room is that the glass door on the shower wasn't big enough not to let water go everywhere when showering & there weren't many power points in the room. We had to unplug the lamp to use that power point & the power points we did have weren't conveniently located. Also room did not seem to have a safe.

The room had free wifi but we think it only lasted 24 hrs. Not sure bout that. The connection was fine.

The view from the room was okay. We were on the 3rd floor facing the Botanical Gardens. Due to the big trees out front, couldn't see much but it wasn't a terrible view.

The staff were nice to interact with & helpful. The location was good - a few blocks up to the Queen St mall. A few restaurants/cafes nearby on Edward & Albert Streets. It's also located across from the Botanical Gardens which is nice to visit. One night we walked from Southbank across the Goodwill Bridge back to the hotel which was a pleasant walk. Only thing is be careful coming off the Goodwill Bridge & walking back to the hotel - it's confusing with the roads there & we got lost!

We didn't use the pool so can't comment on that. We did have breakfast in the restaurant on one morning & were very disappointed. It cost $32 each for the full buffet breakfast & it's definitely not worthwhile. The food was nice, but not worth paying that much for. They advertised pancakes, but these weren't on the buffet. We asked about them & were given 6 rather sad looking pikelets. With nothing to put on them. I guess we expected pancakes to come with maple syrup or such.

For the price we paid, I'd definitely stay again but would eat out at a local cafe for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monica_Brisbane
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Dear Monica_Brisbane. Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. The beds were replaced in 2012 and are indeed very comfortable. The recycling bins in each room are just one part of our award winning "green strategy" which is always a focus for us. Our location offers a peaceful oasis just minutes from the CBD and Southbank.

The internet is complimentary is all guests during their stay, not for a specified period. I am sorry that you had problems with this. The shower screen is an area I will look into further and it will be considered for any refurbishments.

I have shown your review to the Food and Beverage team so that our breakfast experience can be improved.

I trust I will see you again soon.

Stokers Siding, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Very happy with the room. It was clean and nicely sized with a comfortable bed a little on the soft side. The view was of the top of the trees at the garden and smaller areas of the river could be seen. Everyone was friendly and open and didn't blink an eye when we mistakenly turned up over an hour too early for check in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a reasonably priced, nice hotel in easy walking distance to Queen Street and Southbank.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Dear Kathleen M. Thank you for your review of Royal on the Park. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the team were able to accommodate your needs.

I trust we will see you again in the near future.