“Treated like royalty at Royal on the Park”
Review of Royal On The Park

Royal On The Park
Ranked #31 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 25 January 2013

It was pure chance that we ended up here. My wife and I had just finished a ten day house-sit about forty minutes away on The Sunshine Coast and had enjoyed ourselves so much we didn't want to return home yet. My wife got on the web and found a great deal at Royal on the Park (though we had no idea where it was). On arrival we couldn't believe our good fortune with a corner room looking straight out over the Botanic Gardens and a block from downtown. As they do in Queensland, I was up at 5am the next morning and quickly discovered a horde of people walking, cycling, running down a broad pathway that bordered the Botanic Gardens and the river than led across a bridge to Southbank. Even at 6am there were coffee shops galore that were open serving the score of early risers.
Couldn't fault the quality of fittings and furnishings in our room (apart from the bathroom which was satisfactory but not up to the quality of the rest of the room), the helpfulness of the reception staff or the excellent food in their restaurant. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the Botanic Gardens and don't be put off by the bats returning to roost...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear PatTheCoffeeFiend. Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed your room, its furnishings and the service provided by the team.

I trust that we will see you again on your next trip to Brisbane.

There are newer reviews for Royal On The Park

Reviewed 24 January 2013

The refirbishment of the hotel is fantastic. The hotel room was huge and very clean, and the bed, pillows etc. were great and we had a wonderful night's sleep. No noise so obviously glazed windows and also a nice view. The lounge bar area is nice and the waiter, Tommy, was very welcoming, friendly and polite. We had dinner in The Walnut Room but the menu is very limited but the food was excellent but our dining experience was spoilt by the attitude of our waiter who was not helpful and very rude. However, all in all, a great hotel in a central position.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the city which was excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear michelledouglass. Thank you for taking the time to review us following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our refurbished rooms and central location.

I have shared your praise with Tommy however I apologise for the service given whilst you were dining in Walnut restaurant. Our menu changes seasonally and I trust you will find the next update more to your liking.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

So happy I picked this hotel, I was travelling on my own and it really was the perfect base, the hotel was really lovely, a little dated and the lifts took a long time to arrive but the room was just amazing and the staff were so very helpful. It really is in a great location, right next to the Botanic Gardens but also a stones throw from lots of nice places to eat and grab a drink.

My room was on the 8th floor with city view which was just lovely at night, the bed was so comfortable it was difficult to get out of it. Now I know that the city you stay in will most often help to determine your overall feeling of where you stayed and I just fell in love with Brisbane as a lone traveler this is such a friendly and easy to navigate city so that might be clouding my judgment somewhat but this hotel was just a lovely place to stay.

The only meal I had was on my first night where I ordered room service, it was just a toasted sandwich and fries and it was HUGH, having traveled for 26 hours it was much needed and came promptly and served by a very friendly member of staff. I stayed 4 nights and checked out without any problems or issues but left with a lovely memory of a beautiful city and very enjoyable stay in the Royal on the Park.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear mondayblues. Thank you for your review following your September stay. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at Royal on the Park.

We have received rave reviews about our beds which were installed in 2012 and when combined with our award winning food gave you a true experience of the standard we strive to achieve.

I could not agree more with your comments about our location as it is unique and something we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Hi everyone back again with a new review, this time in Australia. My partner and I have just stayed at this hotel which we took an Executive Spa Suite. The hotel itself has under gone a refurbishment/upgrade and I have to say our Suite was beautiful especially with the views over the Botanic Gardens, the bed was to die for so comfortable in all a great Suite. Now a few problems we struck and some criticisms. First of all there was no mini bar menu in the room, no pillow menu and we found that the mini bar had not been checked so nearly charged for goods we did not have. There are 3 umbrellas by the pool not nearly enough especially with Brisbane's hot sun, although I must say the biggest pool I've encountered in Brisbane. The 2 toilets in the Suite did not flush properly and had no ventilation so the smells lingered, we had to open the Suites entrance door to aerate the room. They have a 24 hour room service menu, but when we went to order where told they only had Chips and Pizza, ordered 2 of each, took 1 and half hours and then they dropped one of the pizzas and tool would have to make another, not at all good. The staff in the restaurant and the front desk, excluding a lovely lady on check in where stuffy, pompous and generally quite rude, we where charge parking which on booking where told would be free and Paul on the desk was quite rude dealing with taking it off the bill, totally not a good person to have dealing face to face with clients. All in all people, we will never stay at this hotel again, even though we loved the room. Be quite aware that Breakfast is an extra $25.00 Continental and $35.00 Cooked, and you will be slugged $25.00 for parking even though you park yourself, also the porters are not exactly that, they just deliver the luggage to the room, it is up to you to get it out of your car. Good luck I feel for the price $379.00 per night you could do a lot better else where.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin R
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Kevin R. Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay. I am sorry that your experience did not match your expectation of the hotel.

I apologise that the mini bar menu was not in the room and the mini bar itself was not re-stocked, leading you to doubt our billing procedure. This procedure is under review to avoid this happening in the future. Information regarding pillows, the room service menu and other useful information is located in the guest compendium. There are 5 umbrellas located by the pool as well as several palm trees to provide shade and I feel this is suitable, otherwise the area would be too cluttered and become a hazard.

The in room dining menu changes often and is subject to change. Unfortunately the menu was not to your liking and one of your meals was dropped and needed to be re-cooked. Our parking and breakfast rates are very competitive amongst Brisbane hotels and these prices are checked weekly to ensure they stay that way.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

when i arrived i was very surprised and so happy my room was the spa room overlookin the park and the city it was breathtaking the bed was a slice of heavn the pillows so nice and comfy.then we went down to dinner at the 3course meal the angus steak was oh my god this is beautiful with red wine and the soup so deep and creamy and the raspberry tart oh wow plus they have coffee which is so hot.plus the doorman with the beard he is one of the nicest man u can meet.i love this hotel its warm and inviting and they are all happy.im going to miss the bed its huge and comfy its a slice of heavn.thanks for a awesome weekend

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank rebecca w
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear rebecca w. Thank you for the glowing review from your recent stay. I'm so pleased that the rooms, the staff and the food all exceeded your expections and we made your weekend so memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Royal on many occasions. We live in Brisbane but sometimes use the hotel as a base in the City for shopping, theatre, dining etc.
All rooms are spacious and quiet with some having views over the Botanical Gardens.
The staff are most accommodating and most times we can get into our room before official check in time. The property is perfectly positioned to take advantage of nearby shops and restaurants and only a 10 - 15 minute walk to Southbank with it's fabulous attractions.
The Walnut Room on site restaurant is classy and serves up wonderful fresh food - the red card (a free loyalty card) is also worth applying for as it gives great dining discounts.
And lastly, a free ipad is available to all guests during the stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with with views over the Gardens (may have to pay a little more).
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frank C
Dale J, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear Frank C. Thank you for taking the time to review Royal on the Park. I'm always pleased to read that our staff and the hotel are still exceeding your expectations after many stays. The team work tirelessly to provide top service and provide the reason you keep returning.

I will pass on your kind words regarding the Walnut lounge and restaurant to the Food and Beverage manager as he and our Executive Chef will have a new menu for you to sample shortly.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Stay here cause of a work party in City. This is not my first stay at this hotel, Staff are friendly & very helpful. Rooms are a great size & clean. Love the new 2 bins in the rooms. I recycle .

Location is great, central to the CBD, walking distance to all major venues with CBD.

I will be back

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Brissyaflfan. Thank you for your review after your December stay. It's always pleasing to hear that the hotel and the team are still exceeding your expectations after many stays.

We look forward to greeting you again in the near future.

Warm Regards