“Quick Visit to Paris right in Brisbane”

Ranked #28 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
An Accor traveller
Gold Coast
Reviewed 21 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
SofitelBrisbane249, General Manager at Sofitel Brisbane Central, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Brisbane Central

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Easy to access via train, quick check-in. Nice touch of a happy birthday tray of chocs in room. Booked twin club room for two nights, was small yet nicely arranged, bathroom tiny, only fit 1 person at a time, makeup mirror light didn’t work. No toothbrushes provided, make sure you bring your own. Coffee machine in room was nice touch, 3 pods to choose from. Beds were super comfy but no long enough, I’m only 5”6 and my feet hung over bed! Aircon outdated and didn’t work well, was very hot during the night. Very disappointed no complimentary wifi in room, even trains in Brisbane have free wifi, had to visit club for wifi + given a code that only lasted 5 hrs or 100MB! When I complained next morning, reception said they’d provide wifi, I still had to agree to costs when logging in, but they wouldn’t be charged on checkout (which was untrue because they did charge for it after all). Wifi signal in room was very weak. Although we paid $104 each night for a rollaway bed (which was tiny & had bar at head end which child knocked head on), amenities were only provided for 2 people, we had to ask for another gown, slippers etc.
Room service was quick, but expensive. We ordered toasted sandwiches, they came with chips $28. Spaghetti with meatballs was $32, however the serving size was tiny.
Pool area was ok, comfortable lounge beds & sitting under stars in spa was relaxing. Spa quite small, seats four comfortably, probably time to replace it, edges cracked.
Pre-dinner drinks in club was help yourself to wine, beer + sparkling, order spirits. Food very disappointing although a lot of variety, all savouries no sweets, mostly cold, stale and rather tasteless. Expected it to be fresh and delicious, children didn’t enjoy at all. Hotel website states sweets are available from 8:30 -10pm, however then were none there when we went up at 9:15. Breakfast was better, yummy juices & smoothies. Pancake machine was great, but takes a while to cook & other guests kept taking the ones we’d ordered. No option to have eggs cooked fresh and to your liking, scrambled eggs looked like they'd been sitting there for over three hours. Staff didn’t advise they were packing up food, it was taken away very quickly, make sure you arrive by 9am. Staff didn’t fill items that were empty, no mushrooms for last half hour, also didn’t take our used plates away, we had to pile them up on table next to us. Night staff in club were extremely rude, didn’t even greet us but then took my daughters drink away because she hadn't brought id up to the club, morning club staff better. Still seemed like requests for milk with tea were a hassle, no smiles. Staff would disappear for quite a while and leave club unattended, which was frustrating when we needed to ask for wifi passwords.
Cleaning staff were friendly, lots of bonjours/bonsoirs….our rooms were cleaned about 1pm. However bin in bathroom not emptied.
Checkout was a drawn out, very disappointed wifi charges were added. Hotel did provide free transfer to car hire down the road, which we appreciated.
Overall expected much better service in club room + longer beds would be appreciated.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank feelingr00vy

Dear feelinggr00vy

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Whilst we do value the gift of feedback it was disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us, particularly in regards to your experiences with the Club Lounge and also the amenities in your room. Our internet prices are competitive within the 5 star hotel market in Brisbane.

I will discuss the issues you have raised with our Management team and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Thank you again and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back should you return to Brisbane.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 18 April 2014

One of the main successes of great hotels is that they make you 'feel good', and you never need to leave - everything you need is on premises. It's true - we pay for a feeling. The Sofitel in Brisbane Central is such a Hotel. The staff call you by name and are obviously interested in doing the best they can for you, on very level of their service. Last night a girlfriend and I caught up for dinner in Thyme (2 = square - very clever play on numbers)...and we both were really impressed with our assistant, David, a very elegant, knowledgeable and gracious member of staff who looked after our every desire, where nothing was too much trouble. These are the sorts of people you return to establishments for.

Geographically also, the location could not be better. It is indeed in Central Brisbane, but not so it's really 'in your face'. The city hustle and bustle is only a few blocks walk away, far enough away that you don't have to be bothered with residual noise factor of an evening, but close enough to be super convenient. The Southbank only takes 15min to reach for a lovely early morning stroll.

Need a good nights sleep? I have never slept on such superior quality mattresses, (the cloud* beds) here are sublime. The protector is Sofitels own and can be purchased online, very tempting, and I'm sure many folk do after experiencing the amazing nights sleep you get on them.

The Stephanies DaySpa is also another lovely experience, with staff who are genuinely interested in providing the best quality massage, you really feel quite nurtured. They also carry some very nice, top shelf cosmetic brands and skin products. Everything you need. Directly outside Spa the entrance door is the rooftop pool, very convenient for after treatments, poolside lounging.

The quality (and variety) of the food available, the lovely champagne bar, excellent level of service, interior design innovation, staff that find you in the hotel and bring you items they thought you may need (but you never requested) are all things they combined in the amazing package which is The Sofitel Brisbane, that shall cause Guests to be repeat visitors.

I am sold.

Room Tip: Request room with city or River view. Great at night
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Kriya01

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations on all levels and I am sure that David will also be delighted to read your comments on his service. I will share your feedback with all of our staff and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I had the chance to stay there since the 9th till the 13th of April due I had to attend a workshop there, so I head to it, before it on the 9th, helpful staff, so friendly and lovely view from my room, the cuisine so lovely and exquisite,, the breakfast so lovely,, very convinient location to all , mainly to the malls, and arcade mall, on walking distance to all. The only bad thing is that they didnt put on their room the fares for local and international phone calls so I did one ,based on what they told me by the operator, but they didnt explained it to me accurately and then I got surprised with a n international phone call bill of about US$ 350 dollars..it was the most expensive one I had in my whole stays abroad, even more expensive than the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne , Miami USA, where I stayed and made an international phone call, beside it all was so lovely.

Room Tip: ones facing to the fountain,, lovely view of all,,

Dear clotilde_10

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Brisbane. Whilst we do welcome the gift of feedback I was disappointed to learn of the incorrect information given to you regarding the cost of international calls and apologize for any inconvenience caused. On the positive note it was pleasing to read that other than this issue you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

I trust that you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Australia and hope to welcome you back should you visit Brisbane again.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I should have been forewarned when I called the hotel before arrival to add my platinum Le Club Accorhotels card number to my booking. I was told that they didn't offer points, and would I like to add a frequent flyer number instead. I accepted.

As it turns out, there is no participation in the Accor loyalty program at all, because the hotel's owner (which is not Accor) has chosen not to participate.

So frequent traveller platinum status at this hotel means no free internet access, no club access (and therefore no included breakfast / drinks), none of the benefits.

The Brisbane Central Sofitel is a lovely hotel, great, friendly service, let down by lack of benefits that I'd get at any other Accor hotel (and for less), as well as the world's oldest and noisiest mini-bar fridge!

1  Thank FairButHarsh

Dear FairButHarsh

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I did note your comments regarding Le Club and can confirm that at present does not participate in the Le Club points program. I also noted your comments regarding the noisy mini-bar fridge in your room and apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Sofitel is well position, close to the centre of the city and only walking distance from a number of bars and restaurants, as well as the river and botanical gardens. The whole feel of the place is very classy and well maintained. The staff are very helpful and friendly, although it can be difficult sometimes to order a coffee at breakfast as the staff always seem to be elsewhere. The room I stayed in was very comfortable and spacious with a very good bed and a coffee machine (always welcome!). The gym facilities are excellent and much better than in other hotels.

The only issue is that the food in the restaurant and bar, as well as breakfast, is really pricey and while it's good, there's nothing there to suggest a premium of price. One thing I would improve about breakfast - fruit bread. There is a lot of regular bread and different types, but nothing in the fruit/raisin bread that I have become quite fond of in hotels!

Dear GlasgowEuan

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your honest and constructive feedback following your recent visit to Brisbane. I did note your comments regarding your dining experience and will discuss the points you have raised with our Executive Chef. Thank you for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back should you visit Brisbane again.