“Great location, overpriced”

Sofitel Brisbane Central
Ranked #31 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Sofitel Brisbane Central is in a terrific location, right above the Central Station of Queensland Rail, connecting directly and often with the airport. The location is downtown, just three blocks from the action of the Queens Street Mall. Rooms large, clean, orderly but cleaning staff did not always supply soap or towels when needed, did not completely redo room, did not empty garbage. Meals in hotel, even breakfast, very expensive. Wi-fi not free except for one hour in lobby per diem. We arrived early in the morning and the hotel did accommodate us, but by first asking if we'd like to upgrade our (already expensive) room for another one at AUD$80 more per night. Service at the check-in and concierge counter was great, and our special thanks to Josef. Good hotel, great location, but consistently overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
SofitelBrisbane249, General Manager at Sofitel Brisbane Central, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear hyp80. Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Brisbane. I was pleased to read that you found our location to be so convenient for you. I did note your comments regarding our pricing for meals and internet and can advise that our prices are competitive within the Brisbane 5 star market. I will also ensure that Joseph is recognized for his outstanding service. Thank you again for your review.
Marcus Hanna

Write a ReviewReviews (4,266)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was there as part of a business trip. We had a scale in Brisbane before heading to Port Moresby.
I love sofitels. There are some whose standard is lower (New York for instance). But this one was just perfect. Very well sitiated and with the wonderful bed by sofitel.
Will go there definetely again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jabulani2012. I was delighted to read the review you posted on Trip Advisor. It was great to read that you rated the hotel as just perfect and recommended it so highly! Thank you for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you visit Brisbane.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have stayed at the Sofitel in Brisbane many, many times over the last 5 years and it never disappoints! From the beautiful signature scent when you walk into the foyer, to the genuine welcome back you get at the front desk, and then to the thick carpets your feet sink into - it really is worth the money! The staff in the restaurant even remember me months later - and the wine I had! Amazing.
I have had to stay in other hotels nearby when the rate has been just too high for business, and been very miserable, so I have decided to cover the extra in cost myself to stay there!
Love it!

Room Tip: Any room on floors 18-20 overlooking the city.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Kazza2206. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent business trip to Brisbane and delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Sofitel Signature scent - Bois d’Orient by L’Artisan Parfumeur - has been especially designed for Sofitel and we do receive many positive comments on it so I was delighted to read that you too enjoyed the scent! I am sure all of our staff will be delighted to read your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Didn't stay but we had the high tea on the 30th floor. The selection of food was nice and the scones were very good. The views from the windows were amazing. The only negative was the coffee came from a cheap coffee maker and we had to wait outside the door for an age because you needed a special card to open it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Daniel B. Thank you for posting a review following your visit to the hotel to experience our wonderful High Tea in the Club Lounge. I did note your comments regarding the coffee and also the delay in getting into the lounge and apologize for any inconvenience caused. I will of course address this feedback with the relevant department managers. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at the Sofitel Brisbane last November; it was quite a memorable experience because after an 11 hr layover in LA and then a 2 hr flight delay due to a broken part on the number 4 engine, I had no idea WHEN I was. It was Friday afternoon for me but Saturday morning in Brisbane....

The front desk staff and bellman, Nic and Nikki, were tremendously helpful in getting me checked in and then helping to orient me to the surroundings--not the least of which is 'what time is it?!'--and where I was to meet my ride the next morning for the trip to Australia Zoo, as well as pointing out on the maps where the pedestrian mall and other local attractions were.

The hotel room was spectacular, the nicest I have ever stayed in, and when I could no longer keep my eyes open (around 6pm), the bed kind of grabbed me and wrapped me up in its covers, keeping me safe and warm for the next 10hrs, till I woke up having not moved at all.

It bears mentioning, too, that the Nicky Green tune--Town to Town--played almost continuously on the TV, it having drilled itself into my head after I turned on the tv for some background noise while unpacking.
The view of downtown was wonderful, overlooking the little war memorial park, and the elevators were fast and spotlessly clean, as were the hallway floors and walls and pictures.

The cleaning staff was superb, laying out extra packages of coffee at my request and making up the room spotlessly each day I was there (4 days and nights). The front desk staff was very good, too, helping with my orientation, with resolving a bank card issue that required a call to Toronto, and with providing the vouchers for wifi service.

Being right above the train station is a definite bonus, making the trip to the airport a quick and painless and inexpensive proposition.
Being somewhat of a novice traveler, I am sure there are features of the hotel that I missed out on, but the main features all made it a memorable stay and one I am definitely going to do again when I return to Australia in November.

"9 thumbs up!" to quote Homer Simpson, food critic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear 2112Rush2013. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful and extensive review following your stay with us late last year. It was great to read your comments regarding our staff and how accommodating they were in helping your to get your bearings and also ensuring that you made the most of your 4 day stay in Brisbane. I am sure that all of our staff from front of house as well as our room attendants will be delighted to read your review also. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Australia later this year!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

And so it should be for $340 per night ( and that's with a discount!) - and if you have a car it's
only an extra $45 to park it close by. Staff are most attentive to detail, very polite, and only too happy to be of service. Aussies don't use much ice, and fridge was iced over, but no ice blocks.
Staff happy to provide ice buckets. Hotel's central location is a big plus. Happy to return

Room Tip: Try for room above tenth floor for good viewe.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Skyblue20040. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. It is always great to receive feedback, both positive and negative. I did note your comments regarding the car parking charges and apologize if you were not advised of these prior to arriving at the hotel. Parking in the CBD is at a premium and our prices are competitive within the Brisbane 5 star market. I did also note your comments regarding the fridge being iced over and will address with our Housekeeping department. This is certainly not indicative the high standard the hotel prides itself on and whilst I was pleased to read that we provided ice buckets, the fridge should not have been in that condition when you checked in. Thank you for your review and I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Service at Sofitel was of high standards , staff were efficient and very helpful and the club room facilities on 30th floor with delicious food and beverages were good value and quality . Our room was comfortably furnished and I am very happy to recommend Sofitel .

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Debbie B. I was delighted to read your review regarding the service offered by our staff and to learn that you would happily recommend our hotel. Thank you for posting a review and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.