“Overall a good stay”

Ranked #25 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Overall a good stay”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here recently after staying at another Stamford in Melbourne.
First let me say I understand a hotel is a business first and foremost.

I like to shop around and I originally found it annoying with so many different rates that did not match or make sense.. Why book a room only rate when you can add on $4.00 or so and have the rate include breakfast, parking and sometimes wine. To me they are losing money but I went on a few different sites which I found to have different prices and booked the best package I could.

Arrived with my car and concierge were ok, looked really busy, they properly just need a couple extra staff during the busy times. Reception was smooth enough and quick which is what I like. Room was good with a nice view of the river, bathroom size was great but the TVs are not digital so the pictures are not the best.

Wanted to use internet which I found to be expensive, if I remember correctly Stamford Melbourne had free internet in the lobby and cheaper internet prices for rooms, thought all Stamford’s would be the same.

Used the gym which was good, screen on the treadmill is great but would have liked to watch something else on the bigger TV’s but could not find a remote.

I had breakfast in their restaurant and thought it was great, good selection but very busy, guessing because of the rates that include breakfast for a couple of dollars.

Overall I found everything to be good and would stay again.

1 Thank Bob B
, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Bob B

I was disappointed to read that selecting a rate was not as straight forward as we would like it to be. We do offer a wide range of packages to meet the needs of all our guests. The room only rates would be best suited to in interstate or international corporate travellers, perhaps those who have a contracted rate with us for example. Other guests prefer to have certain items removed, and some prefer packages which include a touch of romance, a free drink or tickets to a show. We can also build a package around a guest's particular requirements, which we are always happy to do.

We have just improved our internet speed, which will make a marked difference to the previous arrangement. We will be offering a variety of internet packages and, dependent on your requirements, will be either free or charge or available at a small fee.

We have just refurbished our gym, so it was lovely to read that you were able to take advantage of the facilities. I will follow up on your comment regarding the remote for the larger tv and will ensure it is resolved.

Overall, it is always nice to know that our guests will be returning, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Charmaine Chapman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed at the Samford Plaza on the Sunday night of the June long weekend, as a combined celebration for my birthday and our anniversary.

While has a few features that are looking a little dated, it is an elegant hotel with a great location: a short walk into the CBD and Botanic gardens adjacent.

We had a King room on the 22nd floor - in room plunger coffee, good pillows, dark curtains and L’Occitane accessories were great features.
The mini TV in our bathroom was a fun accessory but unfortunately ours wasn’t working which I didn’t discover till the tub was full so too late to call down for advice.

While the husband napped, I popped downstairs for a coffee and was directed to The Pav Bar which was very full and after waiting at the bar, was eventually advised "you'll be waiting a while'.
Back to reception who advised to try The Brasserie but the High Tea buffet was in progress. Again - completely full but the manager saw a party about to leave so I went back after 10 minutes as suggested and got a seat and caffeine. So- two visits to reception, two venues... I just wanted a coffee.

We’d hoped to have a drink and a light bite in the Pav bar that night (not being up to the Seafood Buffet) but again it was completely full with barely standing room.
We tried waiting and had a drink in the foyer which wasn't exactly the intimate celebratory environment we wanted so we ate out.

At breakfast the next morning, we were seated in the gazebo which was so busy and loud it was like being in a food hall.
We turned to request seating inside but our escort had already gone so we went inside to find some seats ourselves, but no luck.
Evidently there had been at least two weddings in house the night before and it seemed many guests had stayed.

We hoped to try out the omelette station but after a waiting behind several others we instead had a serve each of eggs from the bain marie area-two of which were empty-and the eggs were cold. While eating we were advised the buffet would close in 20 minutes. Hoping to get toast and fruit, I found the buffet was already cleared away and the serve-yourself coffee pots empty.
After seeing a guest at the next table literally chase down a waiter to order cappucinos we decided to leave.

Upon checking out we had a $45 valet charge.
Granted, we rushed the booking so missed the T’s &C’s for the specific Brisbane Winter package as opposed to the general website offer, so caveat emptor.
Paid parking is fair enough in any CBD property and there is a discreet sign in the concierge area advising of charges- which one drives straight past on arrival.
Perhaps a subtle courtesy reminder by conceirge staff or make the sign more prominent?
When asked upon arrival "are you staying in-house?" then taking the car keys, is this an implication of complimentary parking?
The $45 wasn't the problem just didn't want the surprise.

We’ve come away feeling very underwhelmed- did we just pick the wrong weekend?
It absolutely didn't have that club-like environment 5 stars usually offers and it seemed like half of Brisbane was trooping through the doors.

While the room was lovely, our inability to comfortably use the public spaces was frustating and definitely not the full experience we expected.

1 Thank Sueberry50
Dear Sueberry50

We do appreciate your detailed comments, thank you, as this does assist us in making adjustments / improvements around the hotel.

The June long weekend was certainly a busy one here at the hotel, with Chocolate High Tea in the Brasserie on the weekend selling out weeks prior to the day. Another option for coffee would have been via Room Service, who would have been more than happy to take an order and seat you on the comfy couches in the foyer, or offer you a a takeaway so that you may wander out to the river or across the road to the Botanical Gardens. It is certainly a shame that this option was offered, and for this I apologise.

We were expecting a large number of guests for breakfast that weekend, however that does not excuse the early clearing of the buffet or the hurried service. This is very unusual for me to hear and I will certainly ensure our Food & Beverage Manager and Chef are aware of your commnets, so that they may take the appropriate action.

As you mentioned, the parking fee is a norm in the city, however a clear explanation of the fee is to be expected. I will certainly discuss this with our Chief Concierge, Nick, who will ensure his team is well briefed.

The June long weekend was indeed busy for us, so the serivce difficulties you experience I would comfortably say are "one off". I do hope your recent experience does not deter you from another.

We hope to have you with us again in the future.

Brisbane,Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2012 via mobile

I have stayed many times at this hotel and I have always loved it. It has a classy yet old warm feel about it, with wonderful helpful friendly staff and great deals on wotif.com for weekends.

The in house movies, buffet breakfast and the deep baths in the marble bathrooms just make it that bit more special. My only slight complaint is that I stayed there quite consistently over a 6 month period and they never really made any changes to their room service menu. However, the food was always very tasty and delivered quickly.

This is the best hotel in Brisbane so don't miss it!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank MissT78
Dear MissT78

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with - indeed all your stays with us!

We do like to make our guests feel at home, especially our return guests. Our Room Service will be changing soon, however, when next you visit, please don't hesitate to vary your order from the menu and will do certainly do our best to assist.

We look forward to having you with us again soon.

Brisbane
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My partner and I received one nights accommodation in a superior room, complimentary valet parking, a bottle of Australian Sparkling upon arrival and a full buffet breakfast for two for a fantastic $214!! Cannot complain, service was fantastic aside having to call reception/concierge 45mins after our check in to ask where our bags were.
The bartenders in The Pav Bar were polite, professional, prompt, and fun, in addition the cocktails divine and beautifully presented and reasonably priced (not to mention happy hour before 7 with $5 sparkling and basic spirits!).
We enjoyed the seafood buffet in the brasserie marquee, personally, I am not a seafood fan, so I didn't overly enjoy the selection (more seafood than non-seafood options) the food is exquisite but rather limited, $65, and a little over priced for whats available if you're a non-seafood eater, however my partner, a big seafood eater, enjoyed the selection, lovely atmosphere however, gorgeous river and storey bridge views, and the marquee was dimly lit with fairy lights, very romantic.
The buffet breakfast was the perfect finish to our short stay and absolutely divine. We enjoyed everything from eggs benedict to antipasto and friands whilst overlooking the river and story bridge in the Brasserie.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear jessicaemilydesire

You certainly snagged a good deal for the night of your visit! There are some more great deals available as well - a lovely Winter Snuggler package, as well as a Show Package, which includes tickets to see Jersey Boys. Perhaps we can suggest one of those for your next visit? Or, if you're looking for something a little romantic, I would suggest the Romance and Seduction package. A perfect way to surprise and spoil someone special.

I was surprised to read about the delay in receiving your luggage. Rest assured I will be looking in to that further, as that delay certainly is acceptable.

We have a good fun food & beverage team here, who enjoy doing something a little different. It was great to see that they attributed to your stay.

The buffet dinner and breakfast is tailored to have a ltitle something for everyone, though alongside that we do have an a la carte menu for those who would like a more fine dining experience.

A coy of your comments has been placed on the staff noticeboard so that the team can see how their efforts have contributed to the enjoyment of our guests.

We look forward to having you with us again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I was traveling on business in Brisbane, from San Francisco. I found this hotel a welcome respite to my busy days, located on the River Walk, just next to the Botanic Gardens. Decor was refined and clubbish, much like a Ritz Carlton. Rooms were large and well appointed, and room service was both prompt and tasty. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Robert D

It's a pleasure to read the reviews of our international guests, including comparisons against properties in other countries.

I understand you would have a very tight schedule when travelling overseas on busines, so we do appreciate you taking the time out to share your thoughts via TripAdvisor.

We hope that you are able to visit again soon, and perhaps stay a little longer!

Safe travels, both in Australia and overseas.

Best
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I normally dislike sterile business hotels but this was a class above. Although looking a little dated, it was built with quality. You can hardly hear a sound from the room, including from the fridge. The bed is very comfortable and the bathroom is large and nicely done. The small TV and phone in the bathroom are a nice touch. The room has a terrific view over the river and the lovely pool. The food and service were excellent.

I paid $295 for a room for 1 night, booking directly.

The hotel is well located in the city. Traffic to the airport at the end of the day was dreadful. I would take the train.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear CGW

It seems you did enjoy your stay with us, though brief.

We do try to stand apart from the other hotels in Brisbane, offering a different feel to the ultra modern-looking options. We are also very fortunate in terms of location, though admittedly afternoon traffic to the airport is quite congested, from anywhere in Brisbane. The train is certainly a good option. If you're here for a Suncorp Stadium event, we are a half hour walk to the stadium, which, during peak hour and on event nights, is much quicker than a taxi.

When you next visit, I hope you are able to stay a little longer, and perhaps try out our new gym, take some time to visit the Botanical Gardens or local restaurants, or perhaps catch the City Cat over to QPAC for a show. Jersey Boys, the stage show, will be here soon and we have a great package available for that.

Thanks for your great comments; I have placed a copy on the staff noticeboard for the team to see.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Recently stayed at the Stamford Plaza over the June long weekend. Booked the Winter Snuggler deal which includes buffet breakfast and $20 in drinks vouchers for an extra $1 per person per night. Great value!

We stayed in Room 2115 on the 21st floor in a corner room which gave us views of the Storey Bridge and Kangaroo Point. Beautiful! Gorgeous big bath and TV in the bathroom. Fantastic! All the staff were professional and welcoming. Breakfast both mornings was excellent. We have travelled throughout Europe, Australia and Canada and this would be one of the best buffets we have experienced. Thanks to the Stamford for a memorable weekend away!

Room Tip: Follow the tips provided on Trip Advisor - higher floor room away from the elevator. We did and were...