“Great room with amazing view, fantastic breakfast, ordinary staff”

Stamford Plaza Brisbane
Ranked #24 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Mooloolaba
“Great room with amazing view, fantastic breakfast, ordinary staff”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My boyfriend recently took me away for a Valentine's weekend and we stayed here for 2 nights.
We had a lovely room on the 17th floor, overlooking the river and the story bridge. I can honestly fault nothing with the bathroom, the bed or the view. The bed was amazingly comfortable, and the pillows were great. The bathroom was the place I spent the most time - the bathtub is enormous! I like the lovely touch of L'Occitane toiletries, although I find the Verbana scent a little strong. The view was fantastic to wake up to, and just gorgeous at night.
I found it annoying that there were so few powerpoints in the room. It was quite difficult to work around this, as most available sockets were being used with various things in the room. I also found the round clock beside the bed quite unsettling as the light was really bright and it went off strangely in the middle of the night.
Breakfast in the morning was superb. The only thing I would have liked more was if the poached eggs were made especially, but otherwise the selection and quality was exceptional. Eating beside the river was really beautiful.
Normally, what I have written above would warrant a 5 star review, but I found the service indifferent on a number of occasions, bordering on rude on one of these times.
I arrived in the rain on Friday night. Valet parking had already been arranged for me as my boyfriend had arrived a little earlier. When I pulled up, I was directed where to stop. I was then just left. No one helped with my bags, or even smiled. It was not the best first impression. I had no idea what to do with my key (leave it, give it to someone?) until one attendant instructed me to just leave the key in the ignition (again, without a smile).
Carrying my bags myself, I wandered through the lobby, again with no one offering assistance or a smile, and found myself lost in the lobby. I made my way to reception to find my key and also the lifts. I was pleased that I was offered my first help and my first smile.
On Friday night, the amorous activities of the couples next door (which could be heard clearly through the walls) led to a bad night's sleep and to me feeling quite uncomfortable. On Saturday morning, I brought this up with the front desk manager (who kept me waiting for about 10 minutes). I was told that this type of thing happens in all 5 star hotels. I was quite shocked at his indifferent response. He offered to refund the money and for us to stay elsewhere in Brisbane. I was again shocked at this - why was he so happy for us to go? It would have made more sense for him to try and sort something out within the hotel, rather than just let us (or indeed, assist us) leave. Are we that little valued here? We were offered almost nothing, just a change to a different room with an interconnecting door. As I am aware of soundproofing issues that arise with interconnecting doors, I declined this offer. The overall attitude of the manager was just really disappointing.
To be fair to all of the staff, on our checkout, the concierge staff were fantastic. They were really helpful and friendly, which was really nice.
In all of the lovely hotels that I have stayed at in my time, this is the one that I felt the least valued. The staff here really need to practice the art of caring about their customers!
Overall, this hotel is really nice. The staff are not.
Would I stay here again? Maybe.

1 Thank ladybeetler
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear ladybeetler

Thank you for such a detailed review. From your comments, I was able to speak with the Assistant Manager who spoke with you during your stay.

The particular manager you dealt with has been with us for quite a long period of time and receives a great deal of positive feedback from guests. I am taken to understand that his initial delay in speaking with you was that he was serving another guest at the time you requested assistance; he saw you at the counter and heard your request but did need to finishing assisting the guest he was with firstly.

The manager also recalled that you felt a little uncomfortable discussing the issue. He then offered a number of solutions - a room move, the explanation that a room move can be offered later in the day if you change your mind, the assurance that the evening manager would be checking the floor throughout the day / night to check on noise concerns and also advised that security is on site to deal with any concerns, should you experience any further noise disturbances.

In the past where guests have complained about noise and have wanted to leave the hotel, our cancellation policy, at such short notice, states that the second night's accommodation is still to be paid, which of course can be frustrating for the guest. To avoid this and therefore not spoil your weekend, an early check out, without penalty, was also offered to you.

Later in the day, the manager followed up with you once again to update you on the situation and offer further assistance, and also apologised that you had been disturbed by other guests. He also stated that if you did hear any further noise to contact him straight away so that he can address it immediately.

This situation has been discussed with him, our Front Office Manager, our Executive Assistant Manager and the General Manager. Amongst that group there is over 40 years of hotel experience, in various countries and between us, we could not think of any other way to assist you. We fully support the manager on duty and all the solutions and suggestions he offered.

In terms of the service received from our Concierge starff on arrival, I do apologise. This is certainly not the welcome we wish our guests to receive, being the first impression of the hotel. This issue has been addressed quite sternly with our Concierge team and we will monitor this very closely from here on. Once again, I do apologise for this.

I was, of course very pleased to read of the service you received from the Concierge team on check out and that you enjoyed your breakfast in the Brasserie; I hope you were able to spend some time out there and didn't have to hurry off. It's such a great place to just sit.

We wish you safe travels in 2013 and hope to have you with us again soon.

Charmaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Studley, Warwickshire UK
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This hotel is certainly worthy of its current rating with its quality appearance and general facilities. Our room overlooking the river was very comfortable and provided us with pampered luxury during our stay in Brisbane.
Service was generally very good but let down by the fact that I was charged for car parking for a car I did not have and also had an additional charge on my credit card for the mini bar, that had already been paid. (Although I accept this was an oversight and quickly rectified, this should be monitored by management to prevent any further mistakes which could affect future reviews)
For such a quality hotel, I was a little surprised to find that there was no free WiFi area within the hotel whatsoever. (Not even for a limited time) Yet we were able to take stroll to the park and use the free Council WiFi.
Overall a really nice hotel which I would certainly recommend (but check your bill)

1 Thank Blue2267
Dear Blue2267

It was lovely to read that you felt pampered during your stay with us. We do like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and felt "taken care of" when they visit us.

I was disappointed to read of the errors on your room account, though was very happy to see both were quickly rectified. I have passed your comments on to our Front Office Manager to ensure accounts are more closely monitored.

Free WiFi in the public areas is something that is certainly on our agenda. At the moment, free WiFi is available in a number of our rooms, otherwise it is priced at 40cents per minute, capped at $24.95 for 24 hours. Being located immediately next to the gardens is a huge advantage for our guests for a number of reasons, including great walks & jogging tracks and even for impromptu games of touch rugby or football.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I am a seasoned business traveller and can honestly describe this as one of my favourite Australian hotels. The service is impeccable, the rooms beautiful and the hotel completely charming. Worth every cent.

• Stayed February 2013
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Skyeedavidson

It's wonderful to receive such great feedback, especially from a seasoned traveller. It's nice to know we are looking after our guests and offering a comfortable and enjoyable stay for those working away from home.

When next you visit us, please don't hesitate to speak with any of our team, should there be anything we can do to assist you during your visit.

We wish you safe travels and hope to have you with us again soon.

Wodonga
Reviewed 16 February 2013

My son and I stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed great service, the room was a twin and i must say for me the bed was a little on the small side but comfortable none the less. The location is good, a small walk to Queen st Mall and right next to the river. overall a nice experience.
Breakfast was included in the package and service was prompt and friendly. Buffet brekky's are always a bit hit and miss. who cooks bacon at home and leaves a mountain of it in a bain. So you get what you get, Coffee was good so overall it was good.

Room Tip: River View rooms are the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hucksteau
Dear Hucksteau

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us - I hope your son did too!

We are currently testing and trialling new beds for our guests rooms, which may prove more comfortable when next you stay with us.

We find that the buffet breakfast is all about timing, as well as the make up of our guests dining with us on that day; on some days bacon is the dish of the day and some days it's pancakes, on others it's all about bircher meusli or omlettes. I do hope you enjoyed your breakfasst however - I agree that a good coffee can make a huge difference to your day.

We wish you safe travels in 2013 and look forward to having you wish us again soon.

ps Great profile pic by the way!

Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We are very fond of this property and have stayed here often. We had a special weekend here but our stay was marred by the sorry service from the food and beverage department. They only served half the breakfast I ordered, it took 1/2 an hour for them to make two cocktails when the bar was not busy. When we hosted 7 other guests to lunch at the end of our weekend they neglected to serve a meal to one of our guests entirely. It's a superb hotel in a great location however the need to improve their service.

3 Thank elnewong
Dear 14solitaire

We appreciate your loyalty here at the Stamford and it is always lovely to hear when our guests are fond of our hotel.

I was extremely disappointed to hear that our service let you down. We do pride ourselves on our attention to detail and exceeding our guests expectations, so hearing that we have not delivered that, especially to a regular guest, is such a shame.

I have spoken with our Food & Beverage Manager regarding your comments and he in turn as spoken with his team regarding their service standards. It is also important for us to ensure we are supporting our front line staff to ensure they can meet the guests needs when asked. We will spend some time now to investigate this further.

We do hope you continue to visit us here at the Stamford, and please continue to share your feedback with us so that we can continue to improve and deliver a wonderful guest experience.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel is great location in Brisbane CBD. At night, it can be a little quiet around the hotel once after-work drinks are over, but if you need a good, comfortable room in great location, this is a great place to stay.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marc G
Dear Marc G

It was great to read that you had a comfortable stay with us.

We do try to offer some peace and quiet to our guests when they stay with us, however in saying that, we do have restaurants and a bar on site, with further bars and restaurants being across the road and only a few minutes from us, for those who are after some nightlife.

We wish you safe travels in 2013 and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Stamford Plaza on Valentine's Day 2013. I informed them that, in addition to it being Valentine's Day, it was also my 11th Anniversary, and I wanted to make sure everything went okay. We stayed in a Deluxe Room, with a river view, on the 19th floor (room 1915). The room was small, but well appointed. I went into the Pav bar, for an afternoon drink, but the place stank of stale beer. It wasn't until we returned from dinner, the play (Driving Miss Daisy was awesome!), and after dinner drinks that we realized that the aircon didn't work. In addition, the bed was the hardest, most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on; with matching rock pillows. As it was approaching midnight when we encountered these issues, we decided to press on. The next morning, we ate breakfast a the Brasserie. I have to say, for $60, I expected a little more than running scrambled eggs and fatty bacon. Upon checkout, I informed them that the stay was very underwhelming and that, for $465 (including $45 so the valet could enjoy our "peppy" car) I expected something better. I was informed that they were "sorry" and would have maintenance look at the room. I stood right next to the manager and told them that I would never stay with them again, he just shrugged.

Room Tip: Just don't bother staying here, unless you like a rock hard bed and you're sending the bill...
2 Thank Wade S
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Wade S

We always appreciate our guests taking the time to share their feedback with not only fellow prospective travellers, but us as well.

Needless to say, I was disapointed to read that your Valentine's Day / Anniversary experience did not materialise as hoped. As a norm, where our guests are experiencing any discomfort with their rooms, we offer a room move, and are happy to do so at any time of day, if our guests would like to do so. We also have a pillow menu available in our rooms which offers guests the opportunity to replace their pillows with another from a list of options. It appears these options weren't clearly available to you and for that I apologise.

I was also disappointed by your comments regarding breakfast. I have passed your comments on to our Executive Chef who will monitor our breakfast team more closely to ensure the expected standard is maintained.

I spoke to one of our Assistant Managers and one of our Front Office team members, both of whom remember you. In situations like this, we do offer our guests the opportunity to speak with the Assistant Manager at check out or later in the day so we can rectify any issues and dispel any concerns. My colleagues both confirmed that the option for you to receive the call was declined, which is certainly unfortunate. I can also assure you that our Assistant Manager is not one to treat our guests or their concerns with lack of respect, so please rest assured that he did not do so on the day.

I am disappointed that your visit did not meet your expectations, as we certainly aim to exceed the expectations of all our guests.

We do hope that you will visit us again on another occasion, perhaps on one of our special packages which including parking and breakfat, which is a great deal.

In the meantime, we wish you safe travels and a happy 2013.