“Amazing”

Ranked #24 of 158 Hotels in Brisbane
Cairns, Australia
“Amazing”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

There is not one bad thing i could say about this pleace. i loved staying there. rooms- very clean with house keeping cleaning the rooms daily, Breakfast was beautiful. we had a great view of the river. If you want somewhere nice and upper class to stay i recommend to stay here.
And try all there Restaurants. THEY ARE AMAZING!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Renae L
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear Renae L

What a great review! So happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel!

I hope you had time for a cocktail in the bar, some teppanyaki action in Kabuki and a lazy breakfast in the Brasserie - that's what I try to recommend!

Thanks for choosing the Stamford for your visit to Brisbane. We hope to see you again when next you're in town!

Charmaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My husband and I stay at Stamford Plaza Brisbane quite often, but we may never go back to this place after my bad experience having High tea over there with my girl friends.

There were a multiple wedding ceremonies, so lobby was really crowded. High tea was served at the lobby, but it was noisy and crowded. Food was quite average, and some of F&B staff were not friendly, and we also were asked to pay half an hour before it finish. One of friends who supposed to come couldn't be there because of harsh weather condition, however we were asked to pay for the person who did not turn up although I was never informed this.

Overall, I think I will find another hotel to spend my special occasions. Very disappointed..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jay L
Dear Jay L

We were very disappointed to hear of your High Tea experience. This is certainly the experience we aim to deliver.

On the day of your high tea, we had a number of functions at the hotel and, due to the poor weather, needed to move a number of them to different locations to accommodate. We see this did impact your high tea and for this we apologise.

I know that since your visit you have spoken with our Food & Beverage Manager and sent a separate review via the hotel website, which we have responded to. As you are aware, a gift voucher is on its way to you so that you can dine at the hotel one again and experience it the way it's meant to be.

We look forward to having you with us again soon

Brisbane
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed here on 16 February for one night. We are locals, and it was the first time we had stayed here. Nice hotel in a really good location, but a little tired though. Definitely needs a paint and a clean on the outside, especially around the pool. Our room on the 16th floor had a great view of the river and southern suburbs. The room was clean and comfortable, the bed was very comfy, the bathroom huge, with good toiletries. We had breakfast in the hotel's brasserie. Nice food, but the ambience of the area is a little tired. Still surprised after all these years they still have their outside area under a removable roof with plastic drop walls - I think that's a little shabby for a high end hotel. But the view from the outside area is very nice. Overall, a really nice stay, and would recommend it to anyone who likes to be able to stroll to bars and restaurants. There's a good walk along the river too, and it's in close proximity to the Queen St mall shopping precinct.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views, especially if you can get a room that looks towards the Story Bridge.
Dear Nvios

It was great to read that we had a local visiting us for the night!

We have quite a number of works on our list at the moment, one being a refurbishment of the Brasserie Restaurant and marquee, and of course the general upkeep of the hotel.

We are certainly fortunate in terms of location and I do hope you were able to get out and about during your stay.

We thank you for choosing us for a night out in the city and we hope to have you with us again in the future

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in a delux room with stunning views overlooking the Storey Bridge. We found the location to be excellent within walking distance of most of the sights of the city. Yhe bathroom was lovely, the bedroom a little on the small side for a delux room but nonetheless nicely appointed and serviced.
We had the buffet breakfast which was quite good. We also ate in the Brassiere on the River which was also good. My only complaint was that on one of the night only the japanese restaurant and the Pav Bar were serving food. I don't like japanese food and the Pav Bar had some sort of event in progress. We were therefore told we could eat in the Hotel lobby whilst ordering in the Pav Bar. Our food took forever to come and the only way to speak to anybody was go back in the Bar, wait to be served, then the bar tender went in the kitchen to relay the message. I saw my food go out of the kitchen through the lobby into the bar for the bar tender to bring it me when he was free by which time it was cold and the cycle repeated. I was not the only diner in the bar to experience this. In a 5 star hotel if you are going to close the restaurant for a night and serve food in the lobby then have dedicated serving staff in the lobby. Apart from this we really enjoyed our stay in Brisbane.

1 Thank robertino2012
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear robertino2012

I was a little disappointed by your comments regarding our Lobby Dinner service. From what I can recall, that may have been the first night that we had opened that area as a restaurant which, I imagine, is why the service was not at the level it should be.

We actually opened the area again last night for dinner, with designated service staff, and from all accounts it ran very well. Please do not feel your experience is the norm here at the hotel, as we do continually strive to improve all our service experiences across the board and our evening lobby service is one of those we are currently focusing in.

It was great to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope that when you next visit that you will also enjoying the evening dining experience.

We wish you safe travels and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Mooloolaba
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My boyfriend recently took me away for a Valentine's weekend and we stayed here for 2 nights.
We had a lovely room on the 17th floor, overlooking the river and the story bridge. I can honestly fault nothing with the bathroom, the bed or the view. The bed was amazingly comfortable, and the pillows were great. The bathroom was the place I spent the most time - the bathtub is enormous! I like the lovely touch of L'Occitane toiletries, although I find the Verbana scent a little strong. The view was fantastic to wake up to, and just gorgeous at night.
I found it annoying that there were so few powerpoints in the room. It was quite difficult to work around this, as most available sockets were being used with various things in the room. I also found the round clock beside the bed quite unsettling as the light was really bright and it went off strangely in the middle of the night.
Breakfast in the morning was superb. The only thing I would have liked more was if the poached eggs were made especially, but otherwise the selection and quality was exceptional. Eating beside the river was really beautiful.
Normally, what I have written above would warrant a 5 star review, but I found the service indifferent on a number of occasions, bordering on rude on one of these times.
I arrived in the rain on Friday night. Valet parking had already been arranged for me as my boyfriend had arrived a little earlier. When I pulled up, I was directed where to stop. I was then just left. No one helped with my bags, or even smiled. It was not the best first impression. I had no idea what to do with my key (leave it, give it to someone?) until one attendant instructed me to just leave the key in the ignition (again, without a smile).
Carrying my bags myself, I wandered through the lobby, again with no one offering assistance or a smile, and found myself lost in the lobby. I made my way to reception to find my key and also the lifts. I was pleased that I was offered my first help and my first smile.
On Friday night, the amorous activities of the couples next door (which could be heard clearly through the walls) led to a bad night's sleep and to me feeling quite uncomfortable. On Saturday morning, I brought this up with the front desk manager (who kept me waiting for about 10 minutes). I was told that this type of thing happens in all 5 star hotels. I was quite shocked at his indifferent response. He offered to refund the money and for us to stay elsewhere in Brisbane. I was again shocked at this - why was he so happy for us to go? It would have made more sense for him to try and sort something out within the hotel, rather than just let us (or indeed, assist us) leave. Are we that little valued here? We were offered almost nothing, just a change to a different room with an interconnecting door. As I am aware of soundproofing issues that arise with interconnecting doors, I declined this offer. The overall attitude of the manager was just really disappointing.
To be fair to all of the staff, on our checkout, the concierge staff were fantastic. They were really helpful and friendly, which was really nice.
In all of the lovely hotels that I have stayed at in my time, this is the one that I felt the least valued. The staff here really need to practice the art of caring about their customers!
Overall, this hotel is really nice. The staff are not.
Would I stay here again? Maybe.

1 Thank ladybeetler
Dear ladybeetler

Thank you for such a detailed review. From your comments, I was able to speak with the Assistant Manager who spoke with you during your stay.

The particular manager you dealt with has been with us for quite a long period of time and receives a great deal of positive feedback from guests. I am taken to understand that his initial delay in speaking with you was that he was serving another guest at the time you requested assistance; he saw you at the counter and heard your request but did need to finishing assisting the guest he was with firstly.

The manager also recalled that you felt a little uncomfortable discussing the issue. He then offered a number of solutions - a room move, the explanation that a room move can be offered later in the day if you change your mind, the assurance that the evening manager would be checking the floor throughout the day / night to check on noise concerns and also advised that security is on site to deal with any concerns, should you experience any further noise disturbances.

In the past where guests have complained about noise and have wanted to leave the hotel, our cancellation policy, at such short notice, states that the second night's accommodation is still to be paid, which of course can be frustrating for the guest. To avoid this and therefore not spoil your weekend, an early check out, without penalty, was also offered to you.

Later in the day, the manager followed up with you once again to update you on the situation and offer further assistance, and also apologised that you had been disturbed by other guests. He also stated that if you did hear any further noise to contact him straight away so that he can address it immediately.

This situation has been discussed with him, our Front Office Manager, our Executive Assistant Manager and the General Manager. Amongst that group there is over 40 years of hotel experience, in various countries and between us, we could not think of any other way to assist you. We fully support the manager on duty and all the solutions and suggestions he offered.

In terms of the service received from our Concierge starff on arrival, I do apologise. This is certainly not the welcome we wish our guests to receive, being the first impression of the hotel. This issue has been addressed quite sternly with our Concierge team and we will monitor this very closely from here on. Once again, I do apologise for this.

I was, of course very pleased to read of the service you received from the Concierge team on check out and that you enjoyed your breakfast in the Brasserie; I hope you were able to spend some time out there and didn't have to hurry off. It's such a great place to just sit.

We wish you safe travels in 2013 and hope to have you with us again soon.

Studley, Warwickshire UK
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This hotel is certainly worthy of its current rating with its quality appearance and general facilities. Our room overlooking the river was very comfortable and provided us with pampered luxury during our stay in Brisbane.
Service was generally very good but let down by the fact that I was charged for car parking for a car I did not have and also had an additional charge on my credit card for the mini bar, that had already been paid. (Although I accept this was an oversight and quickly rectified, this should be monitored by management to prevent any further mistakes which could affect future reviews)
For such a quality hotel, I was a little surprised to find that there was no free WiFi area within the hotel whatsoever. (Not even for a limited time) Yet we were able to take stroll to the park and use the free Council WiFi.
Overall a really nice hotel which I would certainly recommend (but check your bill)

1 Thank Blue2267
Dear Blue2267

It was lovely to read that you felt pampered during your stay with us. We do like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and felt "taken care of" when they visit us.

I was disappointed to read of the errors on your room account, though was very happy to see both were quickly rectified. I have passed your comments on to our Front Office Manager to ensure accounts are more closely monitored.

Free WiFi in the public areas is something that is certainly on our agenda. At the moment, free WiFi is available in a number of our rooms, otherwise it is priced at 40cents per minute, capped at $24.95 for 24 hours. Being located immediately next to the gardens is a huge advantage for our guests for a number of reasons, including great walks & jogging tracks and even for impromptu games of touch rugby or football.

We wish you safe travels in 2013 and look forward to having you with us again soon

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I am a seasoned business traveller and can honestly describe this as one of my favourite Australian hotels. The service is impeccable, the rooms beautiful and the hotel completely charming. Worth every cent.

• Stayed February 2013
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Skyeedavidson

It's wonderful to receive such great feedback, especially from a seasoned traveller. It's nice to know we are looking after our guests and offering a comfortable and enjoyable stay for those working away from home.

When next you visit us, please don't hesitate to speak with any of our team, should there be anything we can do to assist you during your visit.

We wish you safe travels and hope to have you with us again soon.