“Romantic Night Away”

Ranked #25 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
London, United Kingdom
“Romantic Night Away”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My girlfriend and I went for a night away in the city so decided to take up the celebrations package which included a superior queen room, chocolate afternoon tea and buffet breakfast.

The bedroom was excellent as you would expect. Classic yet modern, sophisticated yet comfortable. Fittings and carpet were of a high quality as you would expect.

Bathroom was large, immaculate, again with a classic look, but the fittings did not look quite as recently updated as the bedrooms, but I'm picking holes as it is a 5 star hotel so should be judged to the highest standards.

Chocolate afternoon tea was ok - it is a buffet with food stacked high and was tasty but not top quality. It was very busy with hen do's. This one is for the masses and I would have preferred to have opted for the afternoon tea in the lounge with the tiered afternoon tea stands and table service.

The view on the tea terrace over looking the river is amazing - which is also the room they serve the morning breakfast buffet. The breakfast was not bad for a buffet and had plenty of choice.

We had dinner at the teppanyaki restaurant (Kabuki) next door (I think is connected to the hotel as you could put the meal on the room) which was good fun, but food was nothing to write home about. It was the minimum you would expect from the standard. The fun atmosphere and the showmanship of the chefs makes it worth going to.

The public areas were well kept and aesthetically pleasing.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel deserves it's 5 star rating (obviously the price reflects this) and I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear alexander_1984,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it is only through caring guests such as yourself that we are able to make improvements and ensure we provide a top quality product and service. I am pleased to read you had a romantic weekend away and were able to enjoy our beautiful views.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Philippe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Queensland
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We visited the Stamford Plaza for their Chocolate High Tea in celebration a friend's Hens Party and at the end I left feeling dissatisfied. For $55.00 per person we received a cheap glass of sparkling and a buffet of mediocre tasting sandwiches, sweets and chocolate fondue. There was plenty of food to fill up on but I was expecting quality not quantity. I imagined delicious little bite sized pieces served on beautiful tiered cupcake stands. Instead the food was more like a staff morning tea served on generic white hotel crockery. The fondue chocolate was nothing special and reminded me of Cottee's Ice Magic. On a positive note the view of the Brisbane River is stunning and the staff were friendly. I've always wanted to visit the Stamford Plaza for a High Tea and now I can tick it off the bucket list but I have no intention of revisiting anytime soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Danimiester,

Thank you for your review on the Chocolate High Tea. I was sorry to read you were disappointed with the experience. Our Chocolate High tea is buffet style and I apologise you were not made aware of this at the time of the booking and were expecting the tiered plates. We do have these available at both our Traditional Morning Tea and Lobby High Teas. Thank you once again for your comments and I will pass these on to our chefs.

newcastle, nsw
Reviewed 5 March 2014

our room was fine. a few small details suggest a bit of an update might be needed soon, but in general we were very happy. lovely big bathroom, beautiful view of the river. amazingly comfy bed, and good curtains that kept the morning sun out. we had breakfast included with our stay and it was ok. location is excellent if planning on eagle st pier for eating or drinking

Room Tip: some rooms face the bridge, some face the other way
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear mummyL,

Thank you for your review and I note your comments regarding the rooms. I am pleased to advise we do have a refurbishment planned this year to restore the rooms to their former glory. It appears overall you did enjoy your stay which is always wonderful to read. I hope we may have to opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel, the bed was comfortable and we also enjoyed the seafood buffet and breakfast. the river view and story bridge all lit it at night was fantastic. all the staff were very friendly.
Karen J

Room Tip: we were on the 15th floor, great room and views of the river.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable time. The Story Bridge is indeed spectacular all lit up at night. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Stamford is a decent hotel although the Junior Suite we had was a bit 'tired' and this hotel is to host the leader of the free world and his staffers during the G20. Old furniture and multi colured wall in the bathroom where repairs have been made. Breakfast was appalling for a hotel of this standard. Coffee machine, really and then if you wanted a fresh real coffee, they charged you an arm and a leg. Food in the buffet was past it's use by date, would of been burnt to a crisp Hours ago! We also had room service the night before and really paying over $800 for the room and then slugging you for a 'Tray Charge' what will they come up with next?
Service has slipped since the last time I stayed at this former lovely hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neil B
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Neil B,

Thank you for taking the time to advise of your recent stay at Stamford Plaza Brisbane. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

I note your comments regarding the Junior Suite and I am pleased to advise we do have a refurbishment planned for this year to restore the rooms to their former glory.

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast as we certainly aim to provide top quality food and it appears on this occasion this did not occur. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and please be assured I am addressing this further with our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure we are producing the quality product we are known for.

I hope we may look forward to welcoming you back to Stamford Plaza Brisbane and giving us the opportunity to change the adverse impression that was projected on this occasion and to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I really enjoy staying in this hotel. It's has a very stunning river view ,the room is very clean private and comfortable. Also the location is just 10 minutes walking to the Walking street. I definitely coming here again.

• Stayed February 2014
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Onnitcha P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our river views. It is very relaxing view watchting the river life on the Brisbane River. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stamford plaza brisbane hotel is the best hotel i've visited. I love this hotel and i'll be back here again. The service is excellent, The front officers and house keeping are perfect and professional.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Cardmoji,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am absolutely delighted to read we are the best hotel you have visited and the service was excellent. I will share your lovely comments with my team. We forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Brisbane.