“Olde world charm”

Ranked #24 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Drouin, Australia
“Olde world charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Love staying at the Stamford Plaza hotels, they always live up to expectation. We had a beautiful Superior King suite over looking the river.
The reception staff were lovely, as was the gentleman from housekeeping who delivered some ice. The tallest Concierge ever delivered up our tiny rental car without fuss.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Deedee1503,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to read we met your expectations and you enjoyed the old world charm of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Brisbane.

Philippe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked a one night stay at the Stamford as a surprise for my boyfriend during a recent holiday to Brisbane.

Apart from the views which are pretty hard to beat in Brisbane, nothing else in this hotel was even close to 5 star.

On arrival the front desk staff were friendly and gave helpful information about what was open in the area given that it was ANZAC Day. There was no offer to take our bag to our room (although I wouldn’t have taken up the offer – it still would have been nice to have the option).

On entering the room we saw twin beds – not the King that I had booked. A quick call down to reception seemed to sort this out. Jack was very apologetic and said he would get concierge to come up to sow us to a new room. We thought this would happen quite quickly so waited out the front of the room – nearly 10 minutes later the concierge came barrelling down the hallway with the luggage trolley and, on seeing out one suitcase, muttered that he shouldn’t have bothered to bring the trolley. He then ran us – and I do mean RAN – to a new room down the hall. He seemed to be put out by the whole situation and told us he was very busy and wasn’t going to come up straight away so we should have waited in the room and watched TV.

The room itself was dated and really needs a refurb. Dated fixtures which need to be replaced or at the very least painted and repaired.

I then met a friend in the Pav Bar downstairs with the intention of having a few drinks and a bite to eat. During our second drink we saw a huge rat running around the courtyard between the lobby and Moo Moo. This instantly turned me off eating there so took ourselves down to Eagle Street instead. I also didn’t bother eating breakfast at the hotel the following morning. I know it’s by the river but come on – it was the size of a small cat.

Management have since assured me pest control have attended but I’m not sure it makes much difference. I certainly won’t be back and I’m not sure how they are clinging on to their 5 star rating.

1 Thank missbubbles
Dear missbubbles,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am most concerned to read of the service you received from our concierge as this is certainly not acceptable and will not be tolerated. I will be investigating further with the team who was working on ANZAC day. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. I also note your comments regarding the rat and please be assured this has been addressed by pest control as the health and safety of our guests is very important. We certainly appreciate your feedback as we do strive to provide an excellent product and service and I apologise once again this did not occur on this occasion.

Kind Regards,
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel probably has the best location in Brisbane. Situated right on the river edge and in the middle of the CBD. The hotel is quiet considering its location which is what you want. The Check-in staff (all girls) were so friendly and helpful which is refreshing. We stayed in a Standard room which was a good size and had a lovely bathroom. We considered it all very good value. I will admit the hotel is a little dated and could do with a spruce up and I think there should be complimentary water in each room, it is after all supposed to be a 5 star hotel.

The buffet Breakfast was pretty good and worth the $30 pp. but I really didn't want to sit and listen to the staff have their weekly meeting. A strange place to hold a meeting among hotel guests.

As the hotel doesn't have a Day Spa we went to Aquarius Day Spa/Health Club in Mary Street. It was fantastic and only a short stroll from the hotel. See separate review.

Would we stay again - Yes. You just can't beat the location and the staff were all super nice.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good outlook
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Sorrento70,

Thank you for your lovely review and feedback. I am delighted to read you had a great stay and enjoyed our location. I will be sharing your comments with the team as they always enjoy hearing they made a positive difference to a guests stay as it is always our aim to deliver exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Brace yourself - this is an uncharactersitically long review from me, for what is without a doubt the worst so-called 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in.

The only good news is that the wifi works in the rooms and that the front of house staff are great and try their hardest, but the hotel's supervisors, management and senior management are letting down their customers and their front line staff.

I recommend that the hotel managment go to the Shangi La in Singapore, from where we had travelled. This is also a 5 star hotel in the same price range. There they understand that 5 stars have to be earned with outstanding customer service, motivated supervisors, up to date rooms and clean, hygenic conditions.

If a refurb is planned at the Stamford Plaza, as the General manager comments in response to an earlier posting, why not let the room rates reflect this?

These are the notes I jotted down during my thankfully short stay:

Faded, dingy green brown decor which is depressing.
Well worn fixtures and fittings, including the dented and scratched lift interiors, cracked tile floors covered with mats, and dents in the walls from trolleys
The room was also tired and overdue for a facelift. The 'luxury marble bathrooms' mentioned on their web site are standard 1980s style bathrooms with 3 inch square ceramic tiles in the shower that went out of fashion 20 years ago.
Poor standard of housekeeping - dirty cups and stale milk left in the room, used flannels not replaced, a minimum of towels provided, carpets not hoovered, kettle and hairdryer not returned to their proper places- only the basics were attended to.
A toilet cistern that filled continuously, and noisily.
No complimentary water - although you can buy two bottles for $8!!
No answer from reception, housekeeping or room service when telephoned at 9pm, which is a quiet time
A disinteretsed duty manager 'Shane' - no surname given, no apology made, nothing further heard from him.
At breakfast, filthy carpets in the breakfast cereal serving area, with dark stains on top of an already grubby carpet, and a smeared mirror
Staff are not trained to ask customers what they would like - you have to try and find someone and ask for coffee, juice, etc.
Coffee and warm water are provided in unheated canisters that would not look out of place in one of the older Holiday Inn Express hotels, and the water would not make decent tea.
On the last day a coffee machine appeared and the waitress told us there was an additional charge if we ordered from her. And the machine produced tepid latte that was unpleasant.
The fruit consists of industrial sized chunks, some 2 inches cubed! Very unappetising.
Milk for the tea that was ordered was provided in a really dirty jug with hardened cream welded to the inside. No apology was given and a replacement was plonked down on the table with no comment by 'Cindy' (apparently the supervisor), and no grace. The replacement was filled to the top so we would not see the same gunk, so that went back as well. The third one was still not totally clean.
And the same piped 'classics for idiots' music EVERY DAY. I'm sick of Fur Elise!
The water bottle in the gym was empty, and the cooler placed in direct sunlight so that the following day, what water there was left was warm.
The pool is outside and was cold, even in late February and had clearly not been cleaned as there was grit on the bottom There are assorted loungers scattered around, but no-one looks after them. You need to find a house phone to order drinks or food. Virtually no-one used the pool over the 5 days we were there.
Overall there is a lack of available staff - and certainly none around the gym or pool. The saunas were tiny, each hidden unlabelled, in the ladies and gents toilets and were cold - if needed, you need to switch it on and wait for it to heat up.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank LondonMariner
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear LondonMariner,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review. We certainly appreciate your constructive feedback. I was very concerned to read of your disappointing stay with us and the lack of service you received from members in the team. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. I certainly understand your frustrations and please be assured I am addressing each item with the relevant department head as the hotel is indeed committed to providing a quality product and service.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Stamford for 2nts. Booked into a standard suite. Rooms are spacious and lovely, however that is all there is. For a 5 star hotel they do not provide anything except a nice looking room. No complimentary water it costs $8 for 2 small bottles of water. Small dated bar fridge. Basic amenities.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jellybaby88,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was disappointed to read you did not find the hotel value for money however was pleased you enjoyed the room. We certainly value your feedback as it is only through caring guests such as yourself that we can improve our products and services for our guests.

Biggera Waters, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I really had to think hard before I wrote this review ,my first thought was to just change Hotels in Brisbane and go quietly ,then I decided that Brisbane needs a Hotel to the standard that the Stamford Plaza was only 12 months or so when we first stayed ,and if my review helps Management to see how the Hotel which we love so much is suffering from a case of what appears to be Budget Cuts .
Firstly the Brasserie ,you starting offering Cheap breakfast offers $1 extra a night ,big mistake ,consequently you had the dining room full ,but not with the people you needed ,not the people who have a genuine interest in staying at a 1st class property ,then you brought in that pesky coffee machine ,forcing people to queue up like refugees ,to get a drink .
What happened to the Omelette person who could make a spinach /Fetta omelette for Vegetarians ,no, all you can have is what's there now ,and those delicate crepes ,being put out 2 at a time and dried out ,we used to brag to our friends that Stamford Plaza had the best breakfast in Australia and we thought it was reasonable at $30 a head ,this weekend because of the convenience we paid again plus surcharge ,ate some toast and went down the road to Eagle Wharf,to have something fresh as at 8am ,same as our last stay all the food was gone ,many others were also complaining ,paper napkins ,no tablecloths on bare wooden tables ,hardly 5 star ,we had Room Service no problem ,the problem is in the Brasserie and is a serious problem.
Our room I upgraded to Deluxe as we have a note on our file that I like to have a room with Shower ,as I have a mobility problem ,that room ,not available ,was given a room with a bath only ,I phoned and was quickly relocated to a lower floor room ,next day at 2pm the room was still un serviced although we had left the sign on the door ,I phoned down this was quickly remedied .
You might get a laugh out of this ,as a deluxe room guest we thought we might use our drink vouchers to get a coffee while our room was being serviced ,so guess what we went to the Brasserie and asked for a barista made coffee and perhaps a slice of cake which we were prepared to pay for Quoted $7.50 a slice ,cake arrived was a stale layer cake of some sort ,bill came too charged $28.50 turns out Coffee charged too ,voucher not accepted, the lady at reception later remedied this faux pas ,I left the Hotel yesterday exhausted as all I seemed to do for 2 days was fight with people ,came home thought should I write this review or not ,does anyone listen there ,you need a refurb ,not just the suites for the G20 ,the whole place needs a shakeup ,you have the best location in Brisbane ,we love the Hotel ,please just fix it and we will be glad to come back ,but not to be embarrassed at every turn,we only expect what we pay for ,no more no less.

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Jan M
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Jan M,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction and have shared your comments with the relevant department heads. We certainly appreciate your feedback so we can work on improving these areas and this will certainly be a focus of our newly arrived Hotel Manager who I believe has been in direct contact with you.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent experience and I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to change the adverse impression that was projected on this occasion.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel at the start of our annual trip to Australia. Having visited Brisbane numerous times, this was our first stay at the Stamford. Booked a Junior Suite which provided great space and beautiful views over the river. Service was professional and efficient. The hotel feels slightly in need of a "facelift", but then, most hotels in Brisbane do. Great alternative to the Emporium, where we usually stay, in a much more convenient location. Would definitely consider coming back.

Room Tip: Junior Suites on the higher floors are lovely, providing great views and excellent space.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Stepdi,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read your enjoyed your first stay with us. The Junior Suites are indeed a great option for those requiring a little more space and they do all have fantastic views of both the Story Bridge and Kangaroo Point clifts which always look wonderful lit up at night. I am happy to advise we do have a refurbishment planned for this year, so hopefully you will be able to enjoy this on your next visit. I trust you will enjoy the rest of your time in Australia and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.