“Nice hotel let down by rude, incompetent staff”

Stamford Plaza Brisbane
Ranked #24 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Adelaide, Australia
“Nice hotel let down by rude, incompetent staff”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza hotel in Brisbane for one night in December after spending four nights on the Gold Coast. We arrived and were checked in by a pleasant girl at the front desk. When I booked the hotel 2 months in advance I requested that my room be situated on a high floor with a view towards the Story Bridge. Unfortunately the room I was allocated was located on the 5th floor and facing the opposite side of the river to the bridge. I had also booked a twin room yet the room was a king. I phoned down to reception and complained about the room we were given and asked if we could move to a higher floor. Without checking her computer, the woman on the phone abruptly informed me that the hotel was heavily booked and it was impossible for us to move but that she would send someone up to split the 'king' bed into 2 twin beds. After waiting for 45 minutes with no sign of anyone I rang reception again to complain. After another 15 minutes a member of the housekeeping team finally arrived to split the bed. I asked him whether he knew the hotel was fully booked like I had been told and he doubted that it was.

The room itself was beautiful. It was spacious and elegant with European style furniture and fittings. The bathroom was huge with a large marble vanity area complete with LCD screen. While the bathroom was nice, standing in the shower made me feel as if I was in a hospital. The sterile looking tiles and dirty grout work was not very nice.

As the evening progressed it became apparent that the hotel was not heavily booked like I had been told on the phone. The elegant lobby was devoid of a single soul and looking up at the building from the outside, not even a quarter of the room lights were on.

When checking out of the hotel, we asked if we could leave our bags with the concierge as our flight was not until later in the day. The concierge barely acknowledged me while rudely mumbling and pointing to the corner of the entryway, signalling for us to leave our bags there, which we did. We assumed he would have tagged them with my name and stowed them away however when we returned 3 hours later, they were still sitting in the corner where we had left them, untagged. When we asked for our bags we received more pointing and mumbling from the useless bellhops who stood there chatting with each other while we retrieved them ourselves and walked out the door to find our own taxi. I have never experienced such terrible service at a 5 star hotel. I was absolutely disgusted at these employees complete lack of care or enthusiasm for their jobs. It was obvious they would have rather been elsewhere.

The reason I am giving this hotel 2 stars as opposed to 1 is that the hotel itself is gorgeous. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are lovely and the location on the river is great. It is such a pity that this hotel dismally fails in the service department. This is now my second negative experience at a Stamford hotel and I am now beginning to doubt the company and their commitment to providing exceptional service to hotel guests. I think a review of their recruitment procedures is in order.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Katherine, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza for the night before our anniversary cruise. What can I say - AWESOME.

From arrival to departure the hotel was nothing short of excellent. The staff at the hotel were friendly, polite and helpful.

We stayed in room 1411 and booked under the Finally Friday package on their website. This package included bottle of wine on arrival, free buffet breakfast for 2, complimentary newspaper. (in advance) the Friday night seafood buffet with the wine/beer buffet.

When it came time for dinner we went to the brassiere and were originally located inside, but we asked to sit outside which was accomplished easily and quickly and with no trouble. The food and service were divine and it was just as good the next morning for breakfast.

It is an amazing hotel and one we will definitely be returning to - in fact we have booked a juniour suite to share with our daughter the night before we take her on a cruise for her 16th birthday.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Fontainebleau, France
Reviewed 24 December 2009

We had a suite and standard room on Friday Dec 18th and Saturday Dec 19th at the Stamford Plaza in Brisbane. This was for the night before and night of my wedding. The rooms were what you would expect for a 4 star hotel in Australia - comfortable and nicely appointed. Though they are starting to look at bit shabby and definitely this hotel is looking a bit old and tired. Views were lovely out on the Brisbane River too. So the rooms--physically--we fine. That wasn't the problem.

The problem was the service. From the minute we drove into the driveway until when we left (actually even a few days later--see below), we received some of the worst, most indifferent and unapologetic service we have ever experienced at a hotel anywhere in the world. Here are some of the low-lights:

1. Valet parking is a joke.

The valet guys in the driveway tend to ignore people standing with valet tickets waiting to get their cars. On Friday 12/18/09 afternoon my wife-to-be and I stood on the driveway for 15 minutes without seeing a valet. We asked the concierge (just inside the door) and he said it wasn't his responsibility and the valets must have been busy. Some appeared but cast their heads to the ground or in the other direction as they walked past waiting guests (not just us; a line had formed). Eventually, after me chasing down a valet and yelling at him to get our car, he came with our keys and said the car was "over there." After I asked for details on where "over there" precisely was he pointed. We wandered around the driveway area (which was scattered with irregularly parked cars) and found ours and managed to get out.

In the evening on Friday 12/18/09 we drove back and there were no valets around again. There were a few other guests with cars also sitting in the driveway waiting. Again, we went looking for assistance. This time I found a security guard who, like his concierge colleague earlier that day, said it wasn't his responsibility. Though he was kind enough to suggest that I check with reception. So I did. They said to wait for a valet. I promptly returned to my car, killed the engine, grabbed the keys, and took them to the reception clerk and asked him to deal with it. (The car, by the way, was still sitting in the middle of the driveway.) Turns out that about 10 minutes later my almost-wife realized she had left something in the car so she went downstairs to retrieve this item. Car was still in the middle of the driveway. Reception clerk hadn't passed the keys on to a valet guy. Still no valet guys around.

Then on Saturday 12/19/09 I was heading out with my groomsmen for some breakfast. Similar situation to what happened on the previous afternoon - valets not really getting cars, etc. Since we were in a rush I just got the keys and wandered around to find the car and left.

2. Bad concierge/bell hop service

I think the valet guys are part of the concierge/bell hop team at this hotel. They are terrible. A particularly egregious issue was on our wedding day (Sat. 12/19/09) we had a cooler full of drinks and snacks that we wanted in the bridal party limo to have while driving around Brisbane for photographs post-ceremony. Once the limo arrived at the hotel we called the bell hop to get him to take the cooler down to the limo and to put it in the trunk. He came, took the cooler, and said it would be taken care of. Surprise, surprise...a few hours later on our photo shoot we popped the trunk and...no cooler. Later that night when we got back to the hotel we found it back in one of our rooms, though not the one that it started in (i.e., picked up from room #1 and was placed in room #2). Sadly we missed out on some celebratory drinks post-ceremony. Thanks Stamford.

3. Bad room service

We ordered a bunch of food for my wife's suite while she was getting ready for the wedding on Sat. 12/19/09. As she was leaving for the church one of her entourage called down to room service and asked them to clear everything out while we were off getting married. When we returned to our suite many, many hours later NOTHING had been cleared. The room was quite a mess and all the room service carts (including from breakfast that morning) we still just sitting there in the room.

4. Ignored by manager

After the valet incident on the Friday 12/18/09 evening (see point #1) I called the "guest services" line and asked to talk to the manager on duty. Was told he was busy. So I explained my complaint to the person on the phone (just about parking at that stage). I was told that the manager would call me back within 15 minutes so that I could "air my grievances" to him. Fine, completely understandable that the manager might have been busy. But...he never called back. I stayed up waiting for him...but no return call.

5. Poor organization

After checking out, my wife realized that she had left some cosmetics behind in the suite. She immediately called and they confirmed that housekeeping had found the item and that they would keep it for her to pick up later the following week when we were back in Brisbane. Fine. We returned on Thurs 12/24/09 to pick it up from the reception desk, where it was supposed to be waiting for my wife. She waited 30 minutes while they screwed around and claimed that it wasn't there. (I, in the meantime, sat in the car in the driveway watching the valet guys stand around not doing their job.) So she left empty-handed and was told that they couldn't find out where it was (if indeed they had it) because housekeeping had gone home (this was the afternoon). A few hours later they phoned us and said that housekeeping had found it (but hadn't they gone home?). Fortunately they found the item, but it just seems poorly organized. Surely this must happen all the time? Don't they have a system in place for logging, storing, and returning lost-and-found items?

6. Inadequate apology

Upon checking out on Sunday 12/20/09 I raised my concerns with the clerk. She gave a standard reply and continued with the script (i.e., can we charge this to your credit card, etc). I also noticed that I had been charged for pressing of my wedding suit -- an item that was listed as included for free as part of a specific room package that I had booked. She removed that item without a problem (but why charge it in the first place given that it was in the package? Either they are sneaky or just plain stupid). I had to push her on the other issues. She gave us the valet parking for free (which, at AUD $40/day, is over-priced as it is, but absurd given the poor service they give you). I had to push her further and she finally gave us some free room service items.

That was all fair enough. But not once did she show any concern for our disappointing experience at her hotel. She was fairly insincere about it all, which annoys me more given that this was our WEDDING and this hotel is one of Brisbane's wedding hotels. She didn't seem to care that we had nothing to celebrate with in our limo after our wedding, all because of their screw up with the cooler. And she really didn't care that our room was a mess with left-over food when we returned after our wedding reception because room service didn't come to clean up.

I expected MUCH more from this hotel. It was not cheap, and their service just did not live up to the promise. The way they handled these issues really bothers me. I spend plenty of nights a year in hotels all around the world and this is definitely the worst experience I have had in 2009. I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone for any purpose.

If the hotel wants to contact me they are free to do so. I had 1401 and 1402 on Dec 18-20 2009.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fontyprofessor
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 20 December 2009

Although not based in the most vibrant of locations it does face the river and is a short walk from the best city transport sytem ever - The CIty Cat Ferry, totally brilliant and a fab way of experiencing the City.

This hotel has a great entrance and really shouts style. You conjure up great expectations as you walk through the doors.

Service from reception to concierge is very good and just as I would have expected. The complimentary bottle of fizz swiftly delivered to our room on arrival was a lovely welcome touch.

Our spacious room (606) was the middle of the range available, located on the 6th floor had a reasonable view but certainly not the best the hotel had to offer.

Overall I think this hotel would have been a corker in its day but is now facing it's twilight years and I felt it was shouting ' Give me a facelift I can be much better than this'.

A very pleasant stay but you can probably do better.

West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Brisbane was our first stop in Australia. The hotel has a nice location, next to the botanical park, a short walk into the main shopping area and close to some bars and restaurants. Being on the river was nice and all rooms overlook the river.
35aud per night for parking is a bit steep though, feel the hotel should offer some discounted rates to hotel guests.

Didn't eat at the hotel but the courtyard bar sells nice wine at cheaper prices than some of the bars outside

1 Thank caplet
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2009

A posh but welcoming hotel, all staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful. Our room wasn't huge, but it was very comfortable
and included a small breakfast table, desk, and a spacious bathroom. The hotel pool area overlooking the water was very nice, and would be great for those
hot humid days. Cleanliness standards were high throughout.

Well located in the CBD only a short stroll away from the main shopping district of Brisbane, there are also many nearby
pubs and restaurants to satisfy most tastes.

Located right next door to the botanical gardens, it was a nice walk through the gardens and
over the river via a recently built pedestrian bridge to the popular South Bank area. It was another 15 or so minutes from the
South Bank end of the bridge to the Gabba, Brisbane's home of cricket, for anyone who is visiting the city to catch a game. Bus & train stations are also only a short walk away.

The room service breakfast wasn't great. The fruit salad that was less than fresh and cold undercooked toast were not what I expected
considering standard of the rest of the hotel.

A lack of fridge in the room is a little annoying, but not entirely unusual for a hotel like this.

A couple of minor quibbles, but overall a very nice hotel where I would definitely stay again.

East Sussex
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Upon arrival, my partner and I checked in and were immediately taken to our room. On first impressions the view from the room was spectacular with views of Brisbane from two sides.

However, the reality soon set in.

The twin bedded room was rationed to one bedside table and lamp. My partner had been allocated a large wooden book/magazine rack which would have been more suited to a public library or retail unit.

On departing that evening, we asked reception as to whether this impractical piece of furniture could be exchanged for a second beside table and lamp.

Upon our return, later that evening, there appeared to be no acknowledgement or attempt to carry out our request.

After a phone call, a Duty Manager appeared with a member of staff carrying a second table and lamp. An attempt was made to install this.

During the night, I attempted to visit the bathroom/toilet. The bedside light was non-functional. On feeling my way around a crowded unfamiliar room in total darkness, I eventually reached the bathroom, only to discover the light was not working there.

The following morning I reported the matter to reception. I was advised by a member of staff that the lights regularly tripped causing the non-functioning of the lights in the room and there was little to be done to rectify the situation.

The second day, the lights tripped again. On contacting reception, a young handyman was sent to the room carrying an assortment of light bulbs which
were obviously of little use. I made a second call to reception, explaining that the
lights had tripped and how the matter could be rectified.

The breakfast room had excellent views over the river, particularly from the terrace. However, the food choice was only satisfactory and the quality was lacking for a 5 star hotel.

On checking out, we were finally acknowledged by a member of staff, asking whether we required a taxi. We advised him that we had already arranged this ourselves and were extremely happy to be leaving the hotel.

My overall impression of the Stamford Plaza, is that it is living on past glories. One gets the impression that the monthly trading account has a greater priority than standard of service and guests’ welfare.

Although I can obviously only base my experiences on the one bedroom, I personally feel the potential safety hazard of this situation should cause potential guests to consider whether using this hotel.