“Good Location bad internet”
Review of The Sebel Brisbane

The Sebel Brisbane
Ranked #31 of 170 Hotels in Brisbane
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Hotel is in a fantastic location if you are doing buisness in the city, rooms are modern, clean and very roomy ( I was given a suite).
My only concern was the internet, i could not get on and when i rang reception to ask there comment was it should be.

Thinking it was my computer i took it to get looked at and got the all clear and when i checked out my colleuges had the same problems, if they want to be a buisness hotel must get the internet fix, rest is great.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear MattyG69, thank you for your comments and it is great to see that our hotel meets your needs when travelling to Brisbane on business. However, we completely understand the importance of a fast and reliable internet connection to our business guests. We believe we have pin-pointed the underlying issue that was recently causing you and your colleagues difficulty and we are speaking with our internet provider right now to have it rectified as soon as possible. We hope to resolve it quickly and trust we will see you again soon. We would welcome you contacting us directly following your next visit, to confirm this has improved.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed 5 March 2012

The Sebel Suites is perfectly situated in the Brisbane CBC close to the mall. The suites are fantastic for business travel with separation of sleeping from meeting and lounge area.

The enormous bed makes for a great night's sleep and the the self contained kitchenette works well for shorter trips.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, they have heaps of room and a huge bed you can sink into. All elevated rooms have...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear George L, we are very pleased to hear that our hotel meets your requirements so well in Brisbane. You have correctly identified our one bedroom suites as a key point of difference compared to a standard hotel room one would find in other locations. Many business travelers, like yourself, find our apartment-style suites ideal as they have the luxury of space and can combine their accommodation with a perfectly convenient meeting location, whereas meeting a business colleague in a room that doubles as a bedroom setting is generally seen as highly inappropriate. We hope to see you back again soon and welcome your continued feedback about what we are doing well and things we can improve.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stay at the Sebel Suites in Brisbane on a regular basis. Reception is getting better at recognising me, which I appreciate, but they are always courteous and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and the room-service good (with fairly regular changes to the menu). Most rooms have a balcony, but not all. The main problem I have found is that in the basic (non-suite) room, the TV is above the desk, which makes it difficult to work and watch TV. The beds and room lighting are good, but not great. One disappointment: the balconies have no outdoor furniture.

Room Tip: There is construction going on towards the north and the east, with tall buildings all around. The...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear OzTravelers-2010, many thanks for your kind review and for your loyalty. We particularly appreciate feedback from our regular guests as they know us well enough to notice small changes - either things we have improved or areas requiring focus. Some of our regulars even know our staff better than we do! Our studio rooms only comprise 24% of the total, with the remainder being one bedroom apartment-style suites, that feature a private balcony and more relaxed television viewing position in a separate lounge. We acknowledge your comment regarding balcony furniture, however we have also balanced this against potential risks which have been identified at other high-rise buildings. Unfortunately, this has led our decision not to include exterior furnishings at this stage, although we agree that our balconies are a fabulous location from which to survey Brisbane, Queensland's River City. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you with us again soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was disappointed with two issues in regard to my recent stay. Positives first, the checkin desk staff were pleasant, efficient and helpful. Also the room was quite nice. That is where it ended. I was made to feel embarrassed in the restaurant when dining at breakfast. I did mention specifically that I hadn't eaten there before, however I obviously misunderstood the ordering system (either order or buffet - not both). I was humiliated when I went to the buffet as well as ordering from the menu. This was despite my booking covering breakfast (whatever I want - my company is happy to pay). I did ask the waitperson to check my booking but by then it was too late. Also, very disappointed with housekeeping services. I unfortunately left approx $60 of new toiletries in my bathroom when I checked out. One item was in a sealed box never opened. When I checked next day, it was reported that "housekeeping didn't report anything left in the room". I would have expected the items to be held for me to retrieve. I understand people leaving things behind is difficult to manage, however these items were obviously not rubbish. I won't stay again unless I have no other option.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PlasteredDuck
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Dear PlasteredDuck, Thank you for providing us with this valuable feedback. We are pleased to hear that our team at Reception were helpful and that you also found your room to be pleasant. With regard to confusion over breakfast ordering, we are very sorry to have caused you any embarrassment. As a result, we have reminded our restaurant staff to ensure they fully explain the buffet concept to all diners to avoid a recurrence. We have re-checked all lost property and regrettably cannot locate any items which match the description of your toiletries. If you would be so kind as to make contact with me, we would naturally be happy to reimburse you to the value of $60 so you can replace this personal item. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We chose this for its location and price. We were not disappointed. While the room has been refurbished, Some parts retain their retro styling like the bathroom, but you don't spend much time there so it doesn't really matter.
Views were amazing from the room we had, I can recommend the hotel for anyone wanting centrally located base to explore the city from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the corner facing the river.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Dear Sr1992, Many thanks for your feedback following your recent visit. We are delighted to hear that you found our central Brisbane location favourable and we look forward to seeing you again on a future occasion. We have refurbished our studios and suites within the last few years, with the exception of our bathrooms. However, we are planning to update the bathroom area later this year, which we are sure will look great when completed.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Booked in for Christmas night through wotif.com.au it was a mystery hotel and we were not told which hotel it would be until payment, which was fine as the star rating was good so we felt confident we were in for a great night, NOT SO. Our overnight room only rate was $157.00 for two people and I paid an EXTRA $100.00 for our two daughters to join us & $28.00 for parking, still fine at this point, arrive at the Sebal at about 3.30-4.00pm all excited and happy, book in, go up to room, disappointment sets in bigtime, tired looking room & decor, discover we have paid $100.00 for our 2 daughters (aged 25 & 15) to sleep together on a dinghy old pull-out sofa bed which was uncomfortable to sit on (let alone try & sleep on) with bits of something (hard plastic??)sticking in to the back of my leg when I sat down, we had a tiny balcony which was ok but not a single chair (plastic or otherwise) to sit on while on the balcony. Had never been to the Sebal before and safe to say we will never be going again and will be recommending against this hotel to anyone who will listen. We do not blame wotif for this experience as we use them regularly and have never been let down like this before, spent two nights down at the Mantra at Kingscliffe two weeks after Christmas for our anniversary, booked through wotif.com paid $105.00 per night which included breakfast for two both mornings, a buy one get one free drink voucher & parking and it was a magic time in a stunning room with spa bath, balcony with two chairs and two sun lounges. Spent a night at the Grand Chancellor Brisbane on Saturday night the 21st of January 2012 and it was just gorgeous, great discounted rate, brekky for two, a two for one drink voucher & parking, (this was not booked through wotif.com).

Room Tip: avoid the Sebal at all costs and it will cost you!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bjwill

Dear bjwill, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. Our pricing and bedding arrangements are displayed on our own website and those of our booking partners, such as Wotif.com, however we are sorry to hear that this visit did not meet your expectations in terms of value. We encourage travellers to consider all factors when selecting a hotel - including facilities, service, location, price and travel dates. Please feel free to contact me personally when you are next travelling to Brisbane and I will make every effort to ensure you receive excellent value, based on these considerations.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights in January 2012, and through a combination of small irritations and one major service disaster, had one of the most disappointing hotel experiences I've ever encountered.
I chose the Sebel because it was well-located, was four-star rated, and because I wanted a serviced apartment where I could cook if I chose. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment with balcony. The room itself was spacious, if a little tired-looking (I was on the ninth floor and there was no view to speak of, the bathroom was fairly ordinary and the kitchen was not as new or as well-equipped as other serviced apartments I've stayed in). However, over the next few days there were a number of minor irritations which, in combination, began to have a real impact on my enjoyment of my stay.
For example, when I got to the room the compendium was missing, so the only way I could read about the hotel's services was to go through them on the television, which was extremely laborious. It was not until I was half-way through cooking my evening meal that night that I discovered the kitchen had no frying pan, so I was forced to finish cooking using a saucepan. There was no coffee plunger in the room, and when I asked for one downstairs I was told that one was not available (unlike other serviced apartments I've stayed in). No newspaper was delivered on the first two mornings I stayed, despite a number of requests to reception. The airconditioning was broken in the room I was originally allocated (although it appeared to be working initially), so after a couple of sleepless nights I was forced to move rooms.
As I say, all fairly minor things in isolation, but in combination they began to make what should have been an enjoyable stay into a fairly ordinary one. However, the worst was yet to come.
On the second-last night I was due to stay at the Sebel, I arrived back to the room at around 5pm to find that my room had not been serviced that day. I called reception and was told that someone would be there in half an hour. I waited half an hour, but no-one arrived, so I went to the pool hoping they could service my room while I was out. When I got back to the room, the cleaner was there, and as I was due to head out for dinner that night, he suggested he come back in half an hour. I agreed, went out, and thought no more about it.
When I got back to my room that night, however, I discovered that the cleaner never apparently went back to the room - the kitchen had been 'cleaned', but the bathroom had not been serviced (there were still towels on the floor), and neither had the bedroom (the bed remained unmade). The bin from the kitchen sat in the corridor and there were plastic bags left on the kitchen bench. This was annoying, but it was not until I went to make myself a cup of tea that I discovered in the course of 'cleaning' the kitchen, he had also removed ALL of the groceries and other provisions I had purchased to have during my stay - breakfast provisions (bread, marmalade, fruit etc), coffee, tea, margarine, cheese - even half a bottle of wine I had left from the night before.
I was shocked, and felt quite violated by what he had done. I went around the apartment and discovered he had also thrown out some brochures I had collected during my stay, and some information about my flight home at the end of the week (fortunately, he had left my clothes and toiletries!). I immediately called reception, and the duty manager was quite apologetic, offering me a complimentary breakfast for the next morning and promising me he would look into it and have someone get back to me.
The next morning, after breakfast I did indeed receive a call from reception - not to apologise for what had happened the night before, or explain how it had happened, but to ask me when I would be checking out that day, notwithstanding that I was not in fact due to check-out until the following day (I had arranged to stay an extra night when I checked in, and had been told this was not a problem and had all been arranged). This was the last straw for me, and had it not been 36 degrees in Brisbane that day I would have checked out and gone to another hotel. As it was, I explained again what had happened with my things, and was told by reception that she would speak to the manager to see what they could do for me.
By now, I had had such a poor experience that the only way they could have made it up to me would have been to make the final night's stay complimentary. As it was, when I got back to my room that afternoon there was a card from the manager, apologising for the service I had experienced, together with two complimentary beers which he hoped "I would enjoy together with my last night at the Sebel". And when I went to check-out, I was indeed told that there was no more to pay (I had pre-paid the first five nights so it should only have been the extra night to pay). However, when I queried whether this meant the extra night was being made complimentary, the person at reception told me it was a mistake, and that I did in fact have to pay for the final night! Talk about adding insult to injury!
All in all, I was glad to leave and promised myself that I would never return. There are plenty of other decent serviced apartments in Brisbane. If an organisation like the Sebel that holds itself out as offering four-star service cannot recognise the seriousness of an incident like that which happened to me (or thinks it can be placated with a complimentary breakfast and a couple of beers), then I suggest you stay somewhere else. In future, I certainly will.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Stephen R
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear Stephen R

We very much appreciate your detailed feedback following your stay with us, however we are naturally very disappointed that our normally high service and satisfaction levels were clearly not on display for you on this occasion. Please accept my apologies and assurance that we will investigate the details of your commentary with a view to preventing any recurrence. I will be in contact with you shortly to arrange an appropriate gesture to compensate for your experience.