“Quite disappointing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Quite disappointing”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and we were quite dissatisfied with our accommodation. Paying $299 a night for the top floor executive room I would expect to be able to open the bathroom door more than halfway without it hitting the toilet, the room is cramped and poky.
I am 5 feet 8" and the shower head came to my chin! Also I expect when they state that it is a "king bed" it not be 2 singles pushed together. The service and cleanliness is quite poor, (the people in the next room had in room breakfast and their dirty plates sat at our door until we moved them even though the cleaner had apparently "refreshed" our room)! The location is very convenient but I would recommend the Hilton for a bit more money any day which I could never fault! I'm deffinately going back there next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abi W
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Abi W, thank you for sharing your thoughts following your stay with us. We are naturally disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your visit. Our studio rooms account for only a quarter of our hotel's inventory and whilst they are the equivalent size to a standard hotel room elsewhere, one of our prime features is our one bedroom apartments, which are very spacious and comfortable. This room type also features a full king or queen bed, as opposed to a split king in the studios, which allows for twin configuration. Should you wish to make contact with me directly, I would be more than happy to address your specific concerns and offer an incentive to return, including an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment with our compiments. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Hotel is in a fantastic location if you are doing buisness in the city, rooms are modern, clean and very roomy ( I was given a suite).
My only concern was the internet, i could not get on and when i rang reception to ask there comment was it should be.

Thinking it was my computer i took it to get looked at and got the all clear and when i checked out my colleuges had the same problems, if they want to be a buisness hotel must get the internet fix, rest is great.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear MattyG69, thank you for your comments and it is great to see that our hotel meets your needs when travelling to Brisbane on business. However, we completely understand the importance of a fast and reliable internet connection to our business guests. We believe we have pin-pointed the underlying issue that was recently causing you and your colleagues difficulty and we are speaking with our internet provider right now to have it rectified as soon as possible. We hope to resolve it quickly and trust we will see you again soon. We would welcome you contacting us directly following your next visit, to confirm this has improved.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The Sebel Suites is perfectly situated in the Brisbane CBC close to the mall. The suites are fantastic for business travel with separation of sleeping from meeting and lounge area.

The enormous bed makes for a great night's sleep and the the self contained kitchenette works well for shorter trips.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, they have heaps of room and a huge bed you can sink into. All elevated rooms have...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear George L, we are very pleased to hear that our hotel meets your requirements so well in Brisbane. You have correctly identified our one bedroom suites as a key point of difference compared to a standard hotel room one would find in other locations. Many business travelers, like yourself, find our apartment-style suites ideal as they have the luxury of space and can combine their accommodation with a perfectly convenient meeting location, whereas meeting a business colleague in a room that doubles as a bedroom setting is generally seen as highly inappropriate. We hope to see you back again soon and welcome your continued feedback about what we are doing well and things we can improve.
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stay at the Sebel Suites in Brisbane on a regular basis. Reception is getting better at recognising me, which I appreciate, but they are always courteous and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and the room-service good (with fairly regular changes to the menu). Most rooms have a balcony, but not all. The main problem I have found is that in the basic (non-suite) room, the TV is above the desk, which makes it difficult to work and watch TV. The beds and room lighting are good, but not great. One disappointment: the balconies have no outdoor furniture.

Room Tip: There is construction going on towards the north and the east, with tall buildings all around. The...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear OzTravelers-2010, many thanks for your kind review and for your loyalty. We particularly appreciate feedback from our regular guests as they know us well enough to notice small changes - either things we have improved or areas requiring focus. Some of our regulars even know our staff better than we do! Our studio rooms only comprise 24% of the total, with the remainder being one bedroom apartment-style suites, that feature a private balcony and more relaxed television viewing position in a separate lounge. We acknowledge your comment regarding balcony furniture, however we have also balanced this against potential risks which have been identified at other high-rise buildings. Unfortunately, this has led our decision not to include exterior furnishings at this stage, although we agree that our balconies are a fabulous location from which to survey Brisbane, Queensland's River City. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you with us again soon.
Hervey Bay
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was disappointed with two issues in regard to my recent stay. Positives first, the checkin desk staff were pleasant, efficient and helpful. Also the room was quite nice. That is where it ended. I was made to feel embarrassed in the restaurant when dining at breakfast. I did mention specifically that I hadn't eaten there before, however I obviously misunderstood the ordering system (either order or buffet - not both). I was humiliated when I went to the buffet as well as ordering from the menu. This was despite my booking covering breakfast (whatever I want - my company is happy to pay). I did ask the waitperson to check my booking but by then it was too late. Also, very disappointed with housekeeping services. I unfortunately left approx $60 of new toiletries in my bathroom when I checked out. One item was in a sealed box never opened. When I checked next day, it was reported that "housekeeping didn't report anything left in the room". I would have expected the items to be held for me to retrieve. I understand people leaving things behind is difficult to manage, however these items were obviously not rubbish. I won't stay again unless I have no other option.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PlasteredDuck
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear PlasteredDuck, Thank you for providing us with this valuable feedback. We are pleased to hear that our team at Reception were helpful and that you also found your room to be pleasant. With regard to confusion over breakfast ordering, we are very sorry to have caused you any embarrassment. As a result, we have reminded our restaurant staff to ensure they fully explain the buffet concept to all diners to avoid a recurrence. We have re-checked all lost property and regrettably cannot locate any items which match the description of your toiletries. If you would be so kind as to make contact with me, we would naturally be happy to reimburse you to the value of $60 so you can replace this personal item. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.
Los Angeles, Chile
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We chose this for its location and price. We were not disappointed. While the room has been refurbished, Some parts retain their retro styling like the bathroom, but you don't spend much time there so it doesn't really matter.
Views were amazing from the room we had, I can recommend the hotel for anyone wanting centrally located base to explore the city from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the corner facing the river.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Sr1992, Many thanks for your feedback following your recent visit. We are delighted to hear that you found our central Brisbane location favourable and we look forward to seeing you again on a future occasion. We have refurbished our studios and suites within the last few years, with the exception of our bathrooms. However, we are planning to update the bathroom area later this year, which we are sure will look great when completed.
Brisbane
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Booked in for Christmas night through wotif.com.au it was a mystery hotel and we were not told which hotel it would be until payment, which was fine as the star rating was good so we felt confident we were in for a great night, NOT SO. Our overnight room only rate was $157.00 for two people and I paid an EXTRA $100.00 for our two daughters to join us & $28.00 for parking, still fine at this point, arrive at the Sebal at about 3.30-4.00pm all excited and happy, book in, go up to room, disappointment sets in bigtime, tired looking room & decor, discover we have paid $100.00 for our 2 daughters (aged 25 & 15) to sleep together on a dinghy old pull-out sofa bed which was uncomfortable to sit on (let alone try & sleep on) with bits of something (hard plastic??)sticking in to the back of my leg when I sat down, we had a tiny balcony which was ok but not a single chair (plastic or otherwise) to sit on while on the balcony. Had never been to the Sebal before and safe to say we will never be going again and will be recommending against this hotel to anyone who will listen. We do not blame wotif for this experience as we use them regularly and have never been let down like this before, spent two nights down at the Mantra at Kingscliffe two weeks after Christmas for our anniversary, booked through wotif.com paid $105.00 per night which included breakfast for two both mornings, a buy one get one free drink voucher & parking and it was a magic time in a stunning room with spa bath, balcony with two chairs and two sun lounges. Spent a night at the Grand Chancellor Brisbane on Saturday night the 21st of January 2012 and it was just gorgeous, great discounted rate, brekky for two, a two for one drink voucher & parking, (this was not booked through wotif.com).

Room Tip: avoid the Sebal at all costs and it will cost you!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bjwill
Dear bjwill, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. Our pricing and bedding arrangements are displayed on our own website and those of our booking partners, such as Wotif.com, however we are sorry to hear that this visit did not meet your expectations in terms of value. We encourage travellers to consider all factors when selecting a hotel - including facilities, service, location, price and travel dates. Please feel free to contact me personally when you are next travelling to Brisbane and I will make every effort to ensure you receive excellent value, based on these considerations.