“Average”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Average”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed two nights in a one bedroom apartment room on the 7th floor for business purposes.
Rooms are spacious (I believe I was given a disabled room) and well-appointed with furnishings.
Room cleanliness was lacking.
Kitchenette- there was strands of hair in the refrigerator, the glasses in the kitchenette had to be washed before use, and it was overall grubby.
Bathroom/laundry: the tiles in the shower were filthy, the shower was a hospital style shower with a curtain around a shower which drainer in the wrong direction out towards the carpet in the living room I had to use a towel as a barrier to stop the water. The washing machine and dryer combo was ok but the dryer didn’t dry very well. No hair dryer in the bathroom.
The balcony was large and tidy.
The bedroom was clean enough, and the bed fairly comfortable.
Lounge/dining area: was clean only down side the sofa bed when as a couch is fairly uncomfortable.
Room service meal, was fairly basic and average quality and I wouldn’t recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Reviewer, thank you for letting us know about your experience following your recent stay with us. We're sorry to hear that your visit was not up to the standard we normally present and I would be very keen for you to contact me directly so I can address your concerns. I can be reached via email at H8778-GM@accor.com. Kind regards, Tom Bloomfield - General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We recently stayed here while in Brisbane. The location was great, within very easy,walking distance to restaurants and Queen Street Mall. The one bedroom apartment was spacious except for the very small bathroom. The décor and furnishings were tired and in need of modernising. There needed to be some colour in the room instead of brown and beige. The suite felt dull and dingy on entering and the views were just of buildings which I suppose is understandable as it is in the city. Check in and check out was efficient and the staff very friendly . Internet access was over pricey. I can get free internet in most places I stay. Not sure if I would stay here again except for the great location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thanks for providing us with balanced feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate your comments and will certainly take due note of them.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

As a business traveler, I stay at quite a few hotels and apartments and I tend to try and spread the love so to speak. However, I am now narrowing down my selection and this one has definitely made the shortlist. I will be comparing it to the Quay West as my trip was broken up over these 2 apartments.

After a easy early check-in, I settled into my room which was well layed out for a 1 bedroom apartment with the only downdise being bathroom size and the slow internet speeds. The balcony nice size but the view is limited as your in the middle of the city. The bathroom was small (the size of a large apartment walkin wardrome and i am never a fan of a curtain shower and shower. I received a welcome drink of house wine which was a nice touch as an Accor member...

The aircon worked very well and the bed was a plus. It was quite warm during my stay so this was definitely a big plus.

The rest of the stay was great. Here is a summary of the hotel points:

Sleep quality: 4/5
Gym: 3/5 (Rather small and treadmill made more noise than the city streets
Location: 4.5/5 (very convenient for business travelers)
Food: 4/5
Overall welcome-ness: 5/5 Very quick check-in/out and
Aircon/heating: 4.5/5
Bathroom: 2.5/5 (shower curtain and over shower bath.... C'mon, lets upgrade!)

Now the comparisons between the better Accor apartments being the Sebel vs Quay West
Sleep quality: Sebel wins
Gym: Neither, go outside for a run instead.
Location: I preferred the Quay West Suites as its quieter, however the Sebel is closer to most business'
Food: Draw
Overall welcome-ness: Draw (although Quay West gave me a bottle of wine as opposed to a welcome glass of house wine)
Aircon/heating: Sebel hands down
Bathroom: Quay West hands down

As you can see its close 2 positives and 2 negatives for each. For me probably, the Quay West by a whisker, however their aircon is a worry and in summer the Sebel would be better.

Room Tip: Room 2602 was good (small bathroom though)! If i came back i would ask for this same room.
1 Thank Chris S
Hi Chris, thanks so much for your detailed review. No matter which of our two apartment-style hotels came out on top in your comparison, we're glad to have a loyal Accor customer who also lets us know how we're rating. You'll be pleased to know that our bathroom refurbishment commences this week!
Peregian Beach
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times over the years. The location is great, right in the city and a 3 minute walk to the mall. I often just pay for a basic room but most of the time it will be a one bedroom with balcony, so always happy to get a complimentary upgrade.
The rooms are fine, a little dated but I understand they are refurbishing the hotel so might be worth asking for a refurbished room.
The service at reception is always very good, the staff are delightful and more then happy to help as much as they can.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terri S
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hi Terri, thanks so much for your review and great to have you back with us again. We are indeed commencing a refurbishment of our bathrooms and apartment kitchens shortly, so we hope you and our other regular guests will like the new look. Our Sebel Hosts at reception always aim to offer a truly warm welcome, so we appreciate hearing your comments confirming this. Once again, thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience.
Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We found that while the room was comfortable, we didn't feel it was 4 1/2 star standard. Starting to date in places like the bathroom and kitchen and the furniture was a little knocked around in our opinion. King bed was ok but sagged towards the middle. We were on a higher floor and the view was quite nice of the inner city but the wait for lifts was painful at times. Reception staff were excellent and very friendly. It is pretty well located in the CBD. The buffet breakfast was the biggest let down. We arrived at 9.20am (closes at 10am) to the downstairs restaurant to find most dishes empty, bread and bakery items all but empty and all looking quite messy. Granted it was a busy Saturday morning but they appeared under staffed and the wait for things to be topped up, if it was, took quite some time. We overheard quite a few of the guests complaining. A request for some sauces to the waitress was completely forgotten as they struggled to clear tables and keep up. For $32 a head, it was poor quality and poorly serviced. I don't think we would consider this hotel again as a supposed 4 1/2 star option for us or to friends.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the detail you have provided and will certainly look into the issues raised. Comfort and condition in our rooms as well as breakfast service are important areas, which we take seriously and we once again thank you for your feedback.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The Sebel is in a fantastic location, in the heart of the CBD, just 5 minutes walk from the botanic gardens, Queen Street shopping area (including Coles and Woolworths), the Treasury and Eagle Street pier. The central station, for the half-hourly trains to the airport, is about a 10 minute walk away.

The room was terrific – in keeping with the Sebel proposition - it had a spacious sitting room, a very well equipped kitchen (microwave, large fridge, washing machine, etc, etc), large balcony with excellent city views including the Brisbane Wheel (see photos), plus a separate bedroom. It was very quiet. However, wi-fi was excruciatingly slow and there was no in-room safe.

The front desk team were delightful; free apples were also on offer.

The fitness centre had a small outdoor pool plus sun deck.

I would very much like to stay here again.