“4 Star - No Way!”

Riverside Hotel South Bank
Ranked #19 of 141 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This hotel is nowhere near a 4 star. I've stayed in caravan park canins that are waaaaaay better than this. Musty rooms, horrible decor, old, worn gross couch and dingy old bathroom. Yuck. Photos on website are very deceptive and make it look stacks better than it actually is. Don't stay here (unless you can get a deal for $50 a night - that's all it's worth).

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank lkup24
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a denigrate review.

Unlike most Hotels in Brisbane who “self-rate”, Riverside Hotel is actually rated by AAA (Accommodation Association of Australia). We receive annual visits, when they check our rooms and facilities. We always maintain our usual 4 star Hotel rating.

We sincerely find it strange that you would have stayed in caravan parks that offer the services, location and prices that we do. Riverside Hotel has always been proud to guarantee the best rates in South Bank.

All our rooms have recently been renovated, so it would be of great assistance to us if you were to inform us of which room you have stayed in.

Please also bear in mind that the photos on the website were taken using a normal camera, and we have strictly forbidden the use of Photoshop on any of our photos, therefore what you see on the website is exactly what we have to offer.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you have listed, I can assure that this is not the standard of service that Riverside Hotel offers to its guests and patrons, as you may see by all the other reviews. That being said, please understand that 95% of problems that guests have at Hotels can be solved straight away, by merely talking to a Manager. Should you encounter further problems such as these in any other hotel, please ensure to let the Manager know and I can assure you he or she will action and solve the problem on the spot for you. Sadly, we cannot find out that you are unhappy with your Room unless you let us know. At that point, we will gladly solve the problem, so that you may actually enjoy your stay and not decide to “take revenge” with a bad review.

luiz@riversidehotel.com.au

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have stayed at this Hotel many times, usually when I am going to a show at the Lyric theatre. The staff are alway helpful and friendly and we are always greeted with a smile. We just spent last weekend 30/31 August 2013 in the Director's Suite, which was fantastic. The location is great, as we walk to the show and it's a lovely walk over the bridge to the city or to Southbank. The undercover secure parking is free, so that is a real bonus. Breakfast is great and very affordable. We will continue to stay here whenever we need inner city accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hall_10
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing such an enthusiastic feedback!

We always love to know that our guests enjoy their stay and actually return to stay with us again.

Our team was quite happy to read your kind comments, and asked me to thank you on their behalf.

As always, please be sure to contact myself directly so that I may organize your booking personally.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

very good close to a lot of stuff that u can just walk to. Nice room would stay again. Affordable price, wasn't disturbed by traffic we come from a quite area .......::...............................

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank M'lyse W
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your abbreviated and honest remarks!

It is always great to know that our location is appreciated, but even nicer to be made aware that we provide value for money.

Next time you are in Brisbane, please e-mail myself directly and allow me to look after your booking myself. We will be happy to welcome you back!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Pleasant overnight stays at the start and end of our Queensland holiday.Underground secure parking provided. Hotel restaurant was excellent for breakfast and dinner.Staff were very obliging and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ROBARB

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your concise feedback!

We are very happy to know you have chosen us to open and close your QLD holiday. It is always a big responsibility, as a problem either in the beginning or at the end of your vacation may ruin the whole thing.

I am personally glad that was not the case, and that you have enjoyed your stay with us!

I kindly urge you to please use my direct contact details for any future visits to Brisbane, as it will be our absolute pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

My hubby and I live in Brisbane but wanted a stress free night out in the city. We paid $149.00 for an apart room with lounge and bedroom. Overall I'd say this place offers a reasonable alternative to a lot of the city hotels which can be pricey and a bit pretentious , it depends on what you want and why you want to stay.

Plus points:
1. Great location for Southbank, QPAC and West End. It took just 10 minutes to walk to Southbank for a drink and evening meal.
2.Free Car Park and secure, great bonus in a city location. There are no additional costs for this which is one of the reasons we booked as we needed a car with us and many of the other hotels we considered didn't have car parking included.
3. Pleasant staff who were informative and polite.
4. The rooms were clean and functional. Some reviews have commented about the rooms being dated etc. we would agree that perhaps the furniture in the lounge was a bit dated, however it was all working, clean and functional. The small kitchenette was adequate and we felt that comparative to other experiences we've had in the city it was very good. Prior to moving we stayed in the Renevous Boutique Hotel on George, an experience I'd prefer not to repeat. Our 2 week stay there was entertaining to say the least, poor service, lack of cleaning, lack of service to the room and a bed held up by a wooden block!
5. Quiet, our experience was that the hotel it self was busy but not noisy. There were obviously a lot of guests but there was no noise from other people. Our room was adjacent a lift shaft no problem. Our room faced the road and river, other reviews say this has been problematic, my honest experience was that the doors being closed provided quite sufficient barrier to the noise of the road which is very close. I would caution that if you are a light sleeper perhaps request a room which does not face the road, however it wasn't a problem for us at all.
On the down side.
1. While clean the bathroom had a smell which I have only encountered previously in France when camping, that of smelly drains...... It did remind me of a specific holiday I had in France. I'm really sorry to say that the bathroom was the one area that I felt let the hotel down. The tiles do need a bit of a scrub in the shower and there was mould between the shower doors. At leats they were doors and not a grubby curtain though. Soap etc is provided in dispensers which is another pet hate of mine, I just don't like the idea of loadsmofnother grubby hands being used to get the soap.... I do prefer hotels provide individual toiletries but I also appreciate that costs are and issue. If an area needs attention based on our experience it is the bathroom. I would say that the drain smell was less offensive in the morning than on arrival though.

That is the only negative I would share, we would stay again especially is at QPAC. The hotel provides good value for money. If you want a clean, well appointed and functional room without luxury then this is a great pick. Oh and the beds are comfortable too, not worn and prickly like some cheaper hotels.

On a final note seem reviewers have commented that this is not a four star hotel, this is because they don't understand the start system. Star ratings are given for facilities NOT quality necessarily depending on the system being used, the hotel had lifts, a bar and pool that will increase the rating. It's not a luxury hotel nut in our opinion it's a very good quality city bolt hole.

Will stay again- thanks

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharon3001

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and constructive feedback!

Due to its rareness, it is always great to see guests who will actually detail their stay and let us know the positives and negatives of their stay. That highly assists us in knowing where we are doing something right and where we need improvement.

It is nice to see that Brisbane citizens are keen on spending a stress free night out in the city, as you said.

Riverside Hotel has always strived to become a destination for guests that, as you said, want to be well located but not pay the fortune that the hotels located in the city charge.

Free car parking is also a bonus, as Brisbane is such a difficult city to park and most hotels take advantage of that by charging their guests. We figure we already have the space, why charge more for the usage of it?

One of the most important things at a Hotel is its service, and is brings me joy to know that you were treated in a professional and polite way by our staff.

Regarding our rooms, one of the main problems that we have always had is that, due to being a Strata Titled building, all our rooms are individually owned and, therefore, not all looking the same. We are in the process of upgrading most of those rooms, and I can confidently say that 85% of them will have new furniture by the end of this year.

Noise sensitivity is something very particular and goes from person to person. It is great to see that you have not been bothered by any noises. Our windows are double glazed in order to block out as much incoming noise as possible, but by staying in such a central location, there is a minimal amount of noise from ongoing traffic especially when you open the windows, but after they are closed, I am glad it did not disturb you.

Regarding the smell, please accept my sincere apologies for that. We have spoken to engineers and were advised that this happens sometimes in apartment buildings whenever a bathroom has not been used for a few days. Because the sink or shower was not utilized for a while, the pipes generated the smell. It is not usual, but it can happen. Our Operations Manager has advised that, should this happen, please contact Reception on the spot and the problem will be solved. As for the dispensers, believe you me, I am not a huge fan either, but in order to be a “Green Hotel”, the dispensers are rather mandatory. They are all properly cleaned and sanitized after each guest leaves the room, though.

I am particularly fond of your remark about the Star Rating. Unlike 95% of Brisbane hotels, we are not self-rated and get our rating from AAA. It is great to see a guest who understands how the system works, and that we are not claiming to be more than what we are, that is, a small and simple hotel, without great luxury but that still provides good quality service and comfort at a great location. Thank you for that!

We were all really glad and thankful to read your review, and are sincerely hoping to see you back soon. Please be sure to e-mail or call myself directly, allowing me to take care of your booking personally.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I recently stayed at Riverside Hotel for my hen night as the rate was a lot cheaper than staying in the CBD and they offer free secured parking. The young chap who checked me in was delightful, he was very friendly and helpful. Dinner and buffet breakfast in the restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced. The beds were really comfortable and the room was very clean. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1Lesley1
LuizPrebianca, Manager at Riverside Hotel South Bank, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your lovely stay with us.

Reviews such as yours are what keeps us coming back to work with a smile on our faces! To us, in Hospitality, nothing is better than a guest who goes home happy after staying with us.

We have always try to base ourselves on the pillars of comfort, location and service, and from your review, it makes me happy to see that we have achieved that on your stay.

Spending the night in the city is indeed severely expensive, but taking into consideration we are just a short stroll away, I am glad to see we were able to provide value for money. Furthermore, our Director has always said: “Why charge for parking if we already have the space for everyone to park?”.

Our entire team will be pleased to welcome you back, and I would like to personally look after your booking on your next time with us. Please get in touch with me whenever planning your next visit to Brisbane and allow me the honour of doing so.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Wonderful to have a car park at the hotel.
Staff very friendly.
Convenient to everything at South Bank.
Bit hard to find. Should have more directions for people like us driving and who don't know Brisbane that well.
Regards
Mrs.Douglas

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Rodney W D

Dear Mrs. Douglas,

Thank you very much for your concise and constructive feedback!

Feedback is always of utmost importance to any business, especially to us in the customer service industry.

It is with happiness that we find that you have enjoyed your stay with us, especially your remark regarding our staff. This is, at all times, great fuel for motivation in our work environment.

Brisbane is indeed a very difficult city to drive, therefore we have added driving directions in our website, and a link to Google Maps where you will find detailed directions as well.

We will love to welcome you back, therefore please be sure to contact myself directly on your next visit to Brisbane.