“Didn't like it here one bit, would never return”

Best Western Astor Metropole Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #135 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Not the best location, room was basic to be nice. I'm pretty sure I was bitten by bed bugs overnight. Bathroom was ridicously small and not the cleanest. Car parking was absurdly stupid and difficult to use. Staff were fine.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank will2themax
There are newer reviews for Best Western Astor Metropole Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Myself and 2 work colleagues stayed at this hotel while we attended a mining conference. First impressions are ok, the foyer is fine, however once you venture to the corridors there is a stench. Carpets are dirty, linen stained and the bathroom is mouldy. You can hear movement, people showering, talking etc through the walls which if you manage to fall asleep is very annoying. If you happen to venture to the pool area on level 3 you will be shocked to see the dirty state of the dusty, dark corridor and abandoned rooms. This hotel is really run-down and there doesn't appear to be any action to correct the problems based on other feedback....
Not impressed. Blood on the sheets. Very noisy (95dB) shower head. miniature ironing boards. 19 year old, disintegrating towels. Humid-to-hot dining area. Bare concrete beer garden. Sheet+thin blanket to sleep under. Peeping Tom potential from overhanging balcony.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Manish S
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a few weeks having just emigrated from the UK and were looking for something more permanent.
The location of the hotel is great. Handy for the city, handy for the station, handy for the hire car companies and the rate is cheap compared to surrounding hotels. All of these the reasons why we stayed here.

After a week or so, we began to wonder how/why we were getting so many bites on our bodies. It was not mosquito season and indeed hadn't even seen one since being in Brisbane but put it down to mosquitoes anyway as we just assumed they were getting us while we slept. After another week, the situation was ridiculous only because we had so many bites all over our bodies. It didn't seem plausible that it was mosquitoes as I hadn't seen any at all. I wondered what it could be and thought perhaps bed bugs?

I am a season traveller to over 35 countries including off-the-wall places like Iran and Kazakhstan but had never come across bed bugs - i didn't even know what they looked like. So I googled them to get some images. I was surprised to find that they were quite large so at least it would be easy to see if there were any around our bed. It was then that I reaslied the scale of the problem. The headboard had several of these bugs tucked in every corner. They were under the bed, they were on the sofa and even had squashed one on the curtains. I was felt physically sick at this revelation. I am not familiar with these bugs but for a room cleaner, this really should have been picked up. NOw looking at the bed bug review on google, it also mentions that bed sheets are commonly spotted with black spots where blood has leaked from bed bug sores. These were also evident and again should have been identified by cleaning staff.

Unfortunately on literally the morning we discovered the grim reality, I had to go overseas and had an early morning flight so had to let my wife deal with it. I was appalled to discover that when she went to the reception to complain, she was almost accused of bringing them to the room herself through our own baggage. Eventually they sent a technician up to the room who confirmed that they were bed bugs. The technician was now not blaming us but was blaming Chinese tourists or bringing them in! I would suggest to the hotel management, that the only people who were negligent in this case were they themselves for clearly not having managed the situation or admitting that this was a problem. Instead of blaming their guests for bringing in the bugs, they are clearly to blame for not identifying them and cleaning them out.

I would hope that we were the only people who encountered this problem and that it was a one-off. If it had not been for the bed-bugs we would have been satisfied with the hotel for all the reasons mentioned in the first few lines. Hence if you do come and don't get bed-bugs you would probably be happy with the place. Unfortunately due to our experiences, I am most certainly not.

Room Tip: Get a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Jonnymilesaway
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I stayed there for the first weekend in September 2011. Upon arrival all seemed normal, check-in was quick as we were there early (surprised we could actually go to our room early), and foyer was clean, althought they needed to provide some floor mats as you got soot on your feet from the front renovations. From then that is when the dissapointment and utter disgrace began. We were only provided with one room key, the airconditioner could not be changed from warm to cool, the bathroom was a tad dirty, no milk for coffee or tea in the kitchen at all, tv was situated very high and you could not turn it properly so as to view from the bed, as the wardrobe cut out half of the image when you did turn it and although advised our room was not going to be cleaned whilst on our stay, it was entered into on more than 1 occassion by staff. THEN the big catastrophe, whilst out all day on the final day, upon our return in the wee hours of the morning (we are a young couple so went out and had a few drinks) noticed that my purse had been stolen. I immediately cancelled my credit card and went to reception to advise of the theft. The night staff were no help at all, and did nothing to help me out. I awaited untill the following morning to see the Manager, who never offered an apology, didn't offer any compensation for my loss (as my credit card had been used by the person who stole it) and lied to me advising they had contacted the police, in which i was advised (by the police) that no one had contacted them to view any security footage etc. In the time of waiting to speak with the Manager, and going to the police station, my partner stayed in our room so as to have nothing else stolen, my partner had someone walk in on him (a cleaner). only when my partner yelled out, did they leave. No knocking on the door etc to check if anyone was in the room (even though they were not meant to be entering in the first place) and was an hour before checkout was to occur. I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN, and hope this helps anyone who looks at staying here in the future. Although price was cheap, you can definately find somewhere else who will match the price, and offer better service.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at all the reviews of this hotel, as that's where i went wrong.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank totalyshit
Reviewed 22 September 2011

no smile, no "hello", not even a " good day" can i heard from the staff of this hotel. They seemed very busy at their work starring at the computer, but unfortunately, they just ignored what they should really take care of, their clients. Very bad! There's bad smell in the corridor and no one cares,

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank andelulee
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We booked this hotel on the basis of price and proximity to railway to be able to fly out early in the morning. After booking we saw reviews were not at all complimentary so we were somewhat nervous. Our concerns were groundless. Our floor seemed to have been refurbished and we had no problems at all - certainly no bed bugs.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J_M30a
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed here over the weekend for a Rugby game in the city. The rooms were resevered by a family member. We were 4 couple so booked 4 rooms and got to view any differences.
First problem was the parking attendant. Parking is racked storage so getting the vehicle just right is critical. We have a 4wd truck which turns out is to long to fit the spaces. No dramas but the parking attendant backed us in to the rear of the bay so that we touched the bollards at the back. I thought the idea of guiding people in was to stop them before they hit the object they are backing up to. Luckily a family member shouted stop and avoided a crumpled rear step. We were then told they have an oversize car bay (any real 4wd would be to big for the racks) which was basically on the street but still had to pay for parking.
Next we had to deal with the idiot on reception. He took about 10mins to book each couple into a room. Beers were consumed before the last couple were in the elevator to their room. Now heres the best bit. We went with them to their room to help with bags to open the door and find another guest in that room already!!!!!!!! WTF The same muppet on reception then did not beleive us and even after a phone call up to the room felt he had to go up to the room to double check. Its scary to think the same fella probably is allowed to vote and drive.
I also forgot to mention the final couple had to convince the guy that we booked 4 rooms and that he had only sorted out 3 rooms not the 4 he thought he had.
The rooms were OK, could have been a touch cleaner and the rug on the tiled floor is a law suit waiting to happen. Considering the rooms we paid for were supposed to be the same, it appeared to be pot luck on what you turned up. We got a balcony, king bed and an old TV another couple got a flash flat screen but only a queen bed, another got neither but did turn up a washing machine. Our king bed was really just 2x king singles pushed together. The obvious gap in the middle was a little annoying. I've been at other hotels that this happens but they hide it with a pillow top.
Checkout was a slow process as well.
It could be a nice enough place to stay if they got some proper staff to look after the guests an more to look after the cleaning. There are better places in Brisbane to stay for the money. Steer clear if you can.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple