“No Compassion”

Central Dockside Apartments
Ranked #17 of 61 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have never used social media for this kind of thing but I feel it necessary to relay the horrible treatment that my family and I received at the Central Dockside Apartments.
My husband is disabled and confined to a wheelchair, we were, as a family going to stay at the apartments and attend a function in the area. I booked a family room for 2 nights 3 months before the event stating that we needed wheelchair access.
I then rang the Central Apartments 3 weeks prior to make sure that the room was wheelchair friendly. I wanted to make the weekend as stressfree as possible. I was assured that it would be fine.
After a 7 hour drive we arrived only to find that the wheelchair would not fit through either bathroom door for my husband to go to the toilet. For him to shower would have been impossible as one bathroom had an over the bath shower and the other has a 10cm step down.
After voicing my frustration the staff simply shrugged, smirked and said they were sorry (this is at 7.30pm.) Their solution was to find us another room back in the city which was only for one night. By the time we found somewhere to stay my husband was so exhausted he could not attend the function on Saturday.
Their lack of understanding and compassion for someone with a disability in this day and age is just unacceptable. I would not recommend this hotel to any able bodied person let alone someone in a wheelchair.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle0810
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi Michelle0810,

Thank you for taking the time to also comment via Trip Advisor.

I absolutely agree with you in that we should have actioned your request for a wheelchair friendly room prior to your arrival, however it seems to have been an oversight on our behalf. And for that, I sincerely apologise. It was unfortunate that your request was overlooked until your arrival that evening.

I do however know that your situation was taken very seriously and both myself and the front office receptionist contacted numerous hotels trying to secure suitable accommodation for you. It was roughly an hour after that we were able to book accommodation for the Friday evening at the same rate that you were paying for your original booking. Management also reduced your accommodation on the original booking by 50% which we believed was fair compensation for the error we made and the inconvenience it caused you.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you and your husband.

Kind regards
Relief property manager

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for one night over a weekend. Very happy with the location on the river with the ferry terminal a few metres away. We booked the Deluxe room for under $200AUS which is good value for the city. The room was an appartment, with 2 bedrooms and sleeps 4 comfortably. Self contained kitchen and a big balcony overlooking the river.

Also we took the ferry back and forth around the city, which was free, we only paid to go out to Brett's Wharf, about $5 each.

I will stay here again next time I am in Brisbane.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skaz67
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hi skaz67,

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

We are in such a prime position and it sounds like you made the most of it!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Thanks again!
Relief Property Manager

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and was extremely disappointed with the room. There are no sweeping views of the river or the city skyline. I brought this up with the worker downstairs and he said there was nothing he could do about it. Do not book here if you envision more than looking at a canal and other units out the back. I emailed dockside and let them know of my disappointment and got no reply. I found this frustrating and unprofessional. I would not stay at these apartments again. Spend your money elsewhere!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma R

Hi Gemma R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Can you please resend your email to admin@centralgroup.com.au and I will investigate further? I’m sorry your expectations of a view were better than what you received. Every room here at the Hotel has a view of either the River and/or the City however, as you can appreciate, being on an angle to the City, some views are better than others.

I have discussed your positioning with the staff and he has mentioned we were in fact full that night and subsequently, unable to relocate you to another apartment. Most rooms here at Central Dockside have magnificent views of the River and/or the City; and I’m sorry that you weren’t satisfied with the view your room had this time.

I’d like to rectify this situation for you so please feel free to email me at the above address.

Relief Property Manager

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Very good location, great views from our room/balcony, free city hopper (ferry) out front or back?? Connivence store, bottle shop, cafe and great little Asian restaurant practically on site!! Now the rooms, a little shabby but clean enough. We had a 2 bed apartment on the 13th floor great little balcony, 2 TVs that we didn't use, free WiFi, free toiletry's, only thing missing ceiling fans in the bedrooms we slept with all the doors and windows open and still very stuffy..All in all a good stay. Thank Dockside

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CeoJo
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thanks CeoJo for your review on your recent stay with us. The location here is perfect really – the view, the free ferry and the convenience of the onsite restaurant. Perhaps next time, you could book a deluxe room? They have been refurbished and look great!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you’re in town!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Like the title says it was a good location. However we were going to the city a lot and each cab cost us around $20 so if you want more of the city I'd suggest staying closer to the CBD. The room was clean however the carpet was ripped and worn out in a lot of places, the bathrooms were very average and the balcony had chairs I was afraid to sit on. Basically the apartments are in desperate need of a refurb. It's a little deceiving as the reception is lovely and the photo's look better than the apartments. Staff were friendly, we payed our accommodation up front and since there were four of us the gentleman let us all pay separately which I have not come across before. The power went out at one point and we were not able to contact anyone in reception about this but it came back on in about half an hour. We were lucky to be situated on the 13th floor which gave us lovely views.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hi Carly M,

Thank you for your recent review.

I appreciate your comments regarding the room and power issue and will follow this up further. Happy to hear that the staff were friendly and the front desk was able to accommodate your payment needs also!

Next time you stay, perhaps you could enjoy the free City Hopper ferry located right behind the Hotel. It’s a lovely way to see Brisbane and a relaxing journey also.

I hope you come back and enjoy the view again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We have previously stayed here a few years ago and did so again for 5 nights. We were in one of the older rooms which was OK but is showing its age a little bit. 2 bedroom apartment and spacious. Good views of the river. The hotel provides free wi-fi but reception within the rooms is almost zero however open the door to the hallway and it improves. Free undercover parking and the location of Kangaroo Point is handy to wherever you need to go in Brisbane. The fitout of the room in terms of kitchen (crockery, glassware, etc) was for 4 people which was a bit limited particularly if you had guests visiting. This time we had a room on the upstream side of the river which I think was more interesting than the downstream side we had last time.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Chris C, thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback with the rooms and wi-fi - it’s these comments that help us to rectify any issues our guests have concerns with.

See you next time!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

My family and I were really happy and comfortable here on our nine day stay in Brisbane. Lovely room and lovely location. Kitchen had everything we needed and all the appliances were in top condition and very easy to use. The furniture was very nice, and the lounge piece was very comfy that you could sleep in it. I loved having a TV in the lounge and also in the main bedroom. Everything was clean and and the beds were comfortable. Free Wifi was available but we couldn't use it as it was really slow and hard to stay connected.

Thank you for giving us a great apartment. We were so happy with our stay, next time we are in Brisbane we will stay here again.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a refurbished room like we did.