“Alert !! Beware Dockside's Pre-Authorisation Policy of Credit Cards”

Central Dockside Apartments
Ranked #19 of 64 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2014

After making our booking nearly four months in advance for a major family event, imagine our surprise after paying for our accommodation in full on booking in and paying for our meals as soon we were finished them to find out that our credit card was unexpectedly maxxed out two days later when we were trying to pay our cab fare to the airport because Dockside had seen fit to charge our card twice for the full amount of our stay, second charge was explained as a pre-authorisation payment, this just two weeks after credit cards were supposedly made pin code dependent for transactions over $100.00. When we found out that Dockside's extra charge caused our card to go into default, we were told that it is standard practice by Dockside. Dockside then took a full seven days to lift the pre-authorisation charge from our credit card, so for a full seven days this caused us much distress as we then defaulted on a few payments which come out of our credit card on a monthly basis, insurances, sponsored child, gas bill and the like, we now had to explain to our service providers why we could not pay our bills on time and plead our case to avoid penalty charges for our late payments. I have travelled throughout Australia and Overseas and have never struck this type of transaction before. Please be aware of this practice, especially unauthorised charges to credit cards.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Hi Grant J

Thank you for your review and on behalf of the team here at Central Dockside Apartments, I’d like to sincerely apologise for this huge inconvenience it has caused.

Please let me attempt to layout the situation. Upon check-in, a pre-authorisation of $1 is normally held on guest’s credit cards (and refunded after a few days) to ensure the validity. In this particular instance, rather than the $1 authorisation the full accommodation charges were put onto your card by accident. This is out completely out of protocol and simply an error on our behalf.

The front office staff member involved made an error and instead of running a “complete sale” on our new EFTPOS terminal to complete the pre-authorisation to a payment, a separate payment was made. Please let me assure you that this has now been rectified and all staff are fully aware of the correct procedure using our new EFTPOS terminal.

I absolutely sympathise with you on this and know how inconvenient having that amount of money not available in your account. Please understand this was an isolated event and is not common practice for us here at Central Dockside. I know you’ve been dealing directly with one of our front office staff members and I believe the issue is now rectified, however I would like to personally discuss this with you and see how we can compensate for the error we had made. Would you mind emailing me directly to admin@centralgroup.com.au

Once again, I do apologise for the inconvenience and I’m glad the bank has returned the monies back to your account.

Kind Regards

Chris Cam
Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Central Dockside Apartments

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Fantastic location with the free city hopper ferry right on the doorstep. Friendly staff and the rooms are clean enough although we feel more quality control checks could be done on the cleanliness of each room prior to allowing visitors in. The kitchen floor wasn't that clean. We opted for a luxury one bed self catering apartment which was located on the 12th floor but don't feel we got that as our apartment was a bit dated, especially in the bathroom. There is also a distinct 'chemical' smell about the place that I couldn't stand. Am sure something can be done about that. We got woken up really early on Monday morning as renovations were happening in the apartment above us. They could have waited for a respectable hour to start. However, I would stay there again as the price and the location and the staff are what makes this place. :)

Room Tip: If you book and pay for an upgraded luxury apartment, be sure to check this when you check in. Ask w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

ChilliVic, thank you so much for your kind and constructive words!

It put a smile on my face to read your last sentence – especially about the staff. They will be happy to hear that! I must apologise for your cleanliness comment, I will be sure to pass this onto our housekeeping department.

Once again, thank you for your review on our stay and see you next time!

Warm regards

Chris Cam
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have never used social media for this kind of thing but I feel it necessary to relay the horrible treatment that my family and I received at the Central Dockside Apartments.
My husband is disabled and confined to a wheelchair, we were, as a family going to stay at the apartments and attend a function in the area. I booked a family room for 2 nights 3 months before the event stating that we needed wheelchair access.
I then rang the Central Apartments 3 weeks prior to make sure that the room was wheelchair friendly. I wanted to make the weekend as stressfree as possible. I was assured that it would be fine.
After a 7 hour drive we arrived only to find that the wheelchair would not fit through either bathroom door for my husband to go to the toilet. For him to shower would have been impossible as one bathroom had an over the bath shower and the other has a 10cm step down.
After voicing my frustration the staff simply shrugged, smirked and said they were sorry (this is at 7.30pm.) Their solution was to find us another room back in the city which was only for one night. By the time we found somewhere to stay my husband was so exhausted he could not attend the function on Saturday.
Their lack of understanding and compassion for someone with a disability in this day and age is just unacceptable. I would not recommend this hotel to any able bodied person let alone someone in a wheelchair.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle0810
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi Michelle0810,

Thank you for taking the time to also comment via Trip Advisor.

I absolutely agree with you in that we should have actioned your request for a wheelchair friendly room prior to your arrival, however it seems to have been an oversight on our behalf. And for that, I sincerely apologise. It was unfortunate that your request was overlooked until your arrival that evening.

I do however know that your situation was taken very seriously and both myself and the front office receptionist contacted numerous hotels trying to secure suitable accommodation for you. It was roughly an hour after that we were able to book accommodation for the Friday evening at the same rate that you were paying for your original booking. Management also reduced your accommodation on the original booking by 50% which we believed was fair compensation for the error we made and the inconvenience it caused you.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you and your husband.

Kind regards
Relief property manager

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for one night over a weekend. Very happy with the location on the river with the ferry terminal a few metres away. We booked the Deluxe room for under $200AUS which is good value for the city. The room was an appartment, with 2 bedrooms and sleeps 4 comfortably. Self contained kitchen and a big balcony overlooking the river.

Also we took the ferry back and forth around the city, which was free, we only paid to go out to Brett's Wharf, about $5 each.

I will stay here again next time I am in Brisbane.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skaz67
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hi skaz67,

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

We are in such a prime position and it sounds like you made the most of it!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Thanks again!
Relief Property Manager

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and was extremely disappointed with the room. There are no sweeping views of the river or the city skyline. I brought this up with the worker downstairs and he said there was nothing he could do about it. Do not book here if you envision more than looking at a canal and other units out the back. I emailed dockside and let them know of my disappointment and got no reply. I found this frustrating and unprofessional. I would not stay at these apartments again. Spend your money elsewhere!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma R

Hi Gemma R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Can you please resend your email to admin@centralgroup.com.au and I will investigate further? I’m sorry your expectations of a view were better than what you received. Every room here at the Hotel has a view of either the River and/or the City however, as you can appreciate, being on an angle to the City, some views are better than others.

I have discussed your positioning with the staff and he has mentioned we were in fact full that night and subsequently, unable to relocate you to another apartment. Most rooms here at Central Dockside have magnificent views of the River and/or the City; and I’m sorry that you weren’t satisfied with the view your room had this time.

I’d like to rectify this situation for you so please feel free to email me at the above address.

Many thanks

Relief Property Manager

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Very good location, great views from our room/balcony, free city hopper (ferry) out front or back?? Connivence store, bottle shop, cafe and great little Asian restaurant practically on site!! Now the rooms, a little shabby but clean enough. We had a 2 bed apartment on the 13th floor great little balcony, 2 TVs that we didn't use, free WiFi, free toiletry's, only thing missing ceiling fans in the bedrooms we slept with all the doors and windows open and still very stuffy..All in all a good stay. Thank Dockside

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CeoJo
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thanks CeoJo for your review on your recent stay with us. The location here is perfect really – the view, the free ferry and the convenience of the onsite restaurant. Perhaps next time, you could book a deluxe room? They have been refurbished and look great!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you’re in town!

Many thanks
Property Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Like the title says it was a good location. However we were going to the city a lot and each cab cost us around $20 so if you want more of the city I'd suggest staying closer to the CBD. The room was clean however the carpet was ripped and worn out in a lot of places, the bathrooms were very average and the balcony had chairs I was afraid to sit on. Basically the apartments are in desperate need of a refurb. It's a little deceiving as the reception is lovely and the photo's look better than the apartments. Staff were friendly, we payed our accommodation up front and since there were four of us the gentleman let us all pay separately which I have not come across before. The power went out at one point and we were not able to contact anyone in reception about this but it came back on in about half an hour. We were lucky to be situated on the 13th floor which gave us lovely views.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CentralApts, Manager at Central Dockside Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hi Carly M,

Thank you for your recent review.

I appreciate your comments regarding the room and power issue and will follow this up further. Happy to hear that the staff were friendly and the front desk was able to accommodate your payment needs also!

Next time you stay, perhaps you could enjoy the free City Hopper ferry located right behind the Hotel. It’s a lovely way to see Brisbane and a relaxing journey also.

I hope you come back and enjoy the view again soon!

Kind regards