“Wedding Reception Review”

Ranked #44 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Wedding Reception Review”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We choose the elegance package as we loved the room.

However, having a wedding at the urban was the most difficult and most stress full part of organising our wedding due to the lack of effort from the events management team. I am a very easy person and I don't expect big things, I just wanted the events manager to respond to our communication in a timely manner - not wait days/weeks for a simple response.

The manager stated we could have any room configuration we wanted, but later stated we really could only have 3 options due to fire hazards, space, etc. In the end after much effort from us and little from the events management team, we got what we wanted - we had to show up at the hotel 3 days before the wedding and force this issue. The room was beautiful set up and how we wanted it.

The urban hotel also made a mockery of our wedding cake. Most chefs would know how to cut up a cake. We had 70 guests and our cake would feed 80 guests if cut 1" x 1" however they cut it 1" x 1" x 1" and re-iced it. Then proceeded to cut up the kitchen cake, that could feed an additional 30 people. I am lost where all this went as know one had this many pieces. The icing tasted bad and the cake dried out too fast. The week before we attended a 21st and had the same cake to feed the same amount of people - it worked perfectly. What went wrong?

We spent over $10,000 to have the wedding reception at the urban hotel and to this day have not received a proper apology. The urban hotel takes no responsibility for their actions. Very unprofessional business practices!

Further to this after spending that kind of money we thought we had been given a late check-out, we quickly relised they wanted us out by 10am the day after our wedding. Not very nice!
Lastly the car park is poorly set up and is difficult to manoeuvre.
Expect no sorry's or apologises from the staff at the urban.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Hi Cherie F,

Thanks for posting your feedback about your wedding, and thanks for choosing Hotel Urban to host your big day in our popular event space.

Cherie, I am sure you would agree that whilst you were oversees in the lead up to your wedding (after confirming with us 6 prior to your special event) that communication between us was made difficult due to the fact the team was receiving no response from the email address you provided on the booking form. I also understand that the local contact provided was also unable to provide information as they too were finding it difficult to communicate to the wedding party.

My understanding from feedback received the following day after your function was that the evening was a total success and the changes the team were presented with on the night were dealt with in a professional and courteous manner without disrupting your special day.

With regards to the cake, and as explained in person, no additional icing was added. I understand that our team followed your exact instructions which were to slice the kitchen cake first and then to distribute one tier of the official cake to the guests and return the top tier to yourself.

We would have greatly appreciated feedback to be provided to us in person the following morning when our Wedding Coordinator came in on her day off to ensure breakfast was in order and to gather feedback from the previous evening. Being on-site this particular morning myself, I was pleased to hear only positive and glowing comments from your guests and wedding party, and as a result of your function we have had two subsequent function enquiries.

Cherie, our team pride themselves in providing exceptional and personalised service to our brides and grooms to be. It is what we are known for. Feedback I receive after each and every event is exceptional, and the function rooms we offer are some of the best in the city.

I understand that the team have been in recent contact with you and that this matter was resolved so it is disappointing to read your comments on Trip Advisor. I am happy to discuss this matter with you directly if you would like to contact the hotel and ask to speak with me.

We wish you and your new husband Mathew all the success and happiness for the future

Lachlan Furnell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Indonesian first
Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We always stay at Hotel Urban, it is super groovy, with a great reception waiting area with complimentary drinks, it has a fun pool area and is close to most Brisbane esk things. We stay here between once a year or up to 3 times a year with 2 children and 2 adults. It is fairly consistent. Staff are friendly and the rooms are clean. We love the position as it is easy for Wallabies matches yet central to the city and gardens. We often eat at the restaurant for ease (which is unusually as we normally dont eat at hotel restaurants, its like a rule in our house, this is the exception to our rule). The food is always delicious, but no matter what we/they do they can not get the meals out in a time efficient manner, we always and I mean alway, wait extraordinary (ridiculous) amounts of time, we are talking breakfast or dinner. Late May we left having not ordered dessert, 3 adults at about $12-15 a pop, I am not sure how they can afford money to walk out the door like that......and yet, we keep going back, the staff are nice and the food is great, no-ones perfect! Last time they even upped the ante andnhad great colouring book packs for the kids (they also had a child's menu).

I did beat the system 2 nights ago....room service and breakfast in our room...that came in a timely manner but not viable when 6 of us trying to eat together!

I would not let this minor imperfection put you off this Groovy hotel it is a must if staying in Brisbane.

Room Tip: Never had an issue on any level...you are safe...oh, beware the carpark is tight!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Hi kirra99,

Thanks so much for your review and choosing to stay with us us regularly – we love welcoming back familiar faces. We're thrilled to hear that you love our unique designer style and convenient location.

It's very disappointing that you have experienced some delays in our restaurant. We do prepare everything fresh, so it can sometimes take slightly longer, however, we certainly don't want to keep our diners waiting for an unreasonable amount of time so thank-you for drawing this to our attention.

We will certainly look into how we can offer a more efficient dining experience so that next time you visit you can enjoy our delicious food even sooner.

Thanks again kirra99, we look forward to welcoming you back again next time.

Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Was attending a function here so location was perfect. Bed and pillows were very comfy but where are the lights!! The room was only lit by 2 bedside lamps and a desk lamp. Be careful in carpark. It is like some sort of maze with pillons everywhere. I was driving a small car and it was challenging to say the least.

• Stayed June 2013
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Hi Purple31,

Thanks so much for posting your review, we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying in such a convenient location and sleeping in our comfortable Urban Snorer bed.

Thanks for the feedback about the lights – we are currently in the process of adding additional lighting to each and every room. In terms of the car park, we are addressing this situation with improved signage on the best way to manoeuvre your car.

shropshire
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, good location and within a 15 min walk to central Brisbane, 20 mins to south bank. Hotel was clean and stylish although you can tell its been done slightly on the cheap. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, giving us an early check in for much needed sleep after a long flight. You pay for what you get with this hotel, we just wanted somewhere we could get a good night sleep (great sleeps) and explore the city. But no complaints with this stay.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thanks for your review robtaylor20,

Our staff have a well earned reputation of being super friendly and helpful, so it's great to hear that they lived up to this once again. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed a great night sleep courtesy of our welcoming rooms and extremely comfy Urban Snorer beds as well as our top location.

Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

When looking at reviews on Trip Advisor, I had made the comment, "I have a small car, so it won't matter that the car parking is a problem." I had no idea that a car park could be so difficult to manoeuvre around. When we checked in, the receptionist just told us to go "up" in the car park. She didn't tell us that we would need to park on the very top in a section marked with a down arrow and a "staff car parking" sign. It was very confusing. We went up to the top, decided that we were mistaken then drove around the car park for about twenty minutes. When I say, "drove around" I really mean we conducted a series of seven point turns just to get around pillars. At one point, for me to get past someone in the bottom-most parking area, another guest had to reverse back up a curved ramp, just so I could get out and let him in.
We finally worked out that the staff parking was our only option. We actually cancelled plans for later in the evening because we knew that if we left our car park, there wouldn't be one when we returned. Other guests were having to find alternative parking, because there just weren't enough available.
When we finally got to our room, it was lovely. It was very clean, beds were comfortable and the bathroom was nice. The hotel is located near the CBD, but is not really within walking distance late at night. I was very happy with all hotel facilities for the price. I was pleasantly surprised by the value for money.
It's evident that management don't reply to reviews about the car parking situation, but I had one suggestion for them. Please take away the staff parking sign and let guests know that the car park is terrible. At least prepare your guests for what's ahead. Call it "challenging" or suggest that the most experienced driver in the group park the car.
I actually feel bad that I am writing a negative review for the hotel, because the Hotel Urban Brisbane is very nice. But the carpark situation will stop me staying there again.

Room Tip: Don't park here unless you are a stunt driver in a very compact car.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Hi CherieA,

We are really pleased that you enjoyed the style and comfort of your room and the hotel's surroundings.

We're very sorry to hear that our car park took the shine off an otherwise positive stay. Due to space limitations, it can be a tricky space to navigate. We understand that the carpark is a challenge and is unavoidable due to the age of the construction however we do have signage that is clearly marked letting guests know that you can proceed up or down with access to the lifts via the internal stairwell.

The car park is also well lit and has security gates so no access or exit is available to the car park unless you have a ticket. I am sure you can appreciate that city carparks are a premium, with most hotel lots filling on weekends leaving guest to pay up to three times the amount in a public carpark than what we charge, often free of charge with various packages.

With 83 spots taken on most days, we receive minimal complaints, however I have certainly taken your remarks on board and have ordered additional signage to be erected before our entry to assist guests to navigate around the carpark with greater ease. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope that your otherwise enjoyable stay made up for some carpark challenges.

Gold Coast
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Pro: great bed, dark room

Cons:
- Room only lit by bed lamps, no main light.
- One usable mirror in bathroom, the mirror in the room is too dark to see anything.
sales@hotelurban.com.au
- very very bad parking, take a small car, seriously to say its tight is a huge understatement... The amount of car paint left in this carpark shows how bad is it! The hotel should invest in foam for the barriers - we were in a small call and it took an 8 point turn to get into the park, staff are very unhelpful in this regard, no warning was given... If you are in a FWD or even a sedan you will have trouble. Roof racks? Forget it!
- under stocked room, we had a double room for 4guests... Only 3 towels and 2 tea bags, 2 cups etc.... Very disappointing when you arrive from a long drive....
- we had a private function in the loft.... No lift so disabled or pregnant women with strollers be warned, the loft is also very small compared to marketing on the Internet and photos.
- poor customer service.... The only polite staff were housekeeping We met in the hall and one bartender at the loft.
- don't eat at the restaurant, we had the most horrid experience this morning, the food took forever to come out and when it did it was cold and presented sloppily. I asked for a side which when the food was delivered was not 'available' my tea was cold and overpriced, it was also a tea bag... The coffee was weak and badly made. The waitress although boasting she had 40 years experience was stressed and barking orders at us, everything was too difficult and there were no smiles. We were not offered water and food was just put down with no regard to who belonged to what meal. The buffet leaves a lot to be desired with only sloppy bacon and eggs being offered and cold toast.... That's it...it's called buffet for a reason! And I think it was around $22... Seriously go to McDonalds the service is better and at least the food is hot.
- bathroom is small and very hard mirrors to do make up in, the shower covers the floor in water.
- checkout was uncaring, we waited 45min for our breakfast to come out correctly so we were a bit late for checkout, our cards stopped working at 11 so we had to go to the desk to recharge which was a huge issue for the staff... We ended up checking out at 11:15am 15minutes after checkout time..... And this was a huge inconvenience to the staff.
- the pillows were very plump and everyone woke up with a bit of a stiff neck
- wireless costs money! As does the crap parking.
- overall I would not bother staying here again, the room was clean and bed nice but very poor customer service, especially the food and beverage staff.

Room Tip: Away from elevators would be recommended... The rooms are pretty quiet and very dark, if you are usi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Brielle_8
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Pros
- Opposite the Roma Street Station.
- Very quiet rooms. We stayed in another hotel just opposite the train station as well and these were much quieter.
- Very good sleep. The beds are very comfortable and the curtains block out the light well.
- Not a far walk to Fortitude Valley and the city.
- Free magazines and newspapers.
- Sometimes there are fresh apples for free in the lobby.
- There is a hot tub which is very nice... Note for staff though, I think the chlorine levels are too high in the hot tub. My stirling silver ring turned black in the water. Needs more maintenance. Also, the closing time of 9pm for the pool and hot tub is a bit early. Sometimes it is nice to go for a swim or sit in the hot tub after dinner.
- The bathroom products are nice. But there is no handcreams or body lotions provided as most hotels of this price usually provide. Only conditioner, shampoo and body and face soap.
- Room safe provided.

Cons:
- The rooms are very dark at night - no main light switch. You can only light up the rooms with the bedside tables.
- The room service food is very overpriced! Don't get the pizzas. They are $21 each and TINY with hardly any toppings at all. They taste fine, but for the price, it is far better to just get pizzahut or dominos delivery, which in fact some people did.
- The service and staff is extremely average to poor. Upon check-out we asked if we could leave our luggage for a few hours as our flight was at night. We were not given a luggage ticket, and had to request one. When I came back to pick up my luggage 7 hours later, I found that it hadn't even been moved from where I had left it and was just sitting in reception for anyone to take. As it took me a long time to get served at reception and I had a taxi waiting outside, I just grabbed all my bags and left. Anyone could have helped themselves.
- When I returned the towels we borrowed to swim in the pool to reception, the gentleman behind the reception who I returned it to just dumped the towels on the floor, basically on my feet without a thank you or so much as a smile. This irked me because I had returned them and his behaviour was very rude. Also, because I thought it was very dirty and is that where they normally place used towels? On the floor behind the reception? The only time we had OK service was at check-in (nice gentleman).
- They hang the bath/ body towels next to the floor towels in the bathroom which I found very unhygienic.
- The bathroom is very small. No bath.
- There is only one bathrobe and one pair of slippers provided in a two person room?
- Fairly expensive. About $220 / night, no breakfast on weekdays.
- Paying for wifi?

All in all, my stay was satisfactory, but not great and I would look elsewhere before staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi CrystalK,

Good to hear that you enjoyed a restful sleep on our Urban Snorer beds and in our peaceful rooms and it sounds like you really enjoyed our location.

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback about the lighting, towels, luggage storage, toiletries and pool times.

It's really disappointing that you didn't experience the same excellent level of service that many of guests enjoy. We really pride ourself on providing exceptional warmth and service in all areas of the hotel, if you would like to email us at stay@hotelurban.com.au and let us know when you stayed we can investigate this further.

Thanks again for your comments CrystalK.