“OK but theres better value for money Hotels in Brisbane than this.”

Hotel Urban Brisbane
Ranked #41 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Ballina, Australia
“OK but theres better value for money Hotels in Brisbane than this.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This Hotel is Middle of the road. Its quite good in some areas and not so good in others. Other Reviews on Trip Advisor overall are quite accurate. Especially the descriptions of the extremely tight hopeless carpark.....heed their warnings.

THE GOOD:
- Comfortable Beds
- Courteous Staff
- Clean
- Good Selection of Austar Channels

THE NOT SO GOOD
- The carpark is disgraceful. VERY Tight. You need to be very highly skilled to navigate anything bigger than a Corolla without scraping anything. This carpark is so bad that it alone would deter me from recommending this place to some others. Especailly when they are charging you $30 a night per car Added to its poor design, the fact that the lowest level P2 has several of the easier to access spots unavailable due to the fact that they are full of rubble, building waste, Rubbish and old wheel barrow. Seeing this sort of thing upon arrival does not make the best of 1st impressions. Someone should really clean that stuff up....but then again a Ute, let alone a garbage truck would never get down there....

- The AC is very noisy.
- The elevators are noisy and rooms right next to them have a constant hum coming through the walls.
- In a room that sleeps 4 there is tea making facilities for 2 only. 2 Cups. 2 Teaspoons. Bothing else in the way of saucers, plates cutlery etc

Overall I would say this Hotel is acceptable but not great. There is better Value for money around Brisbane

Room Tip: Request a Room that is away from the noisy Elevators. Take your smallest Vehicle. Room 214s bathroom...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank maddanno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Lots of money has been spent on upgrading this old property with a super funky fit out. Our room was by the side of the pool with a little fence around the balcony for privacy. Quite a groovy idea. On arrival, staff did not seem too concerned whether we stayed or not, but hey it is the big city so a less that exuberant welcome can be par for the course. What was not OK though was the cleanliness of the room. I noticed that the silver panel on the room door was covered with finger marks and something sticky, so avoided touching that. Over our 24 hours we encountered a crumbled biscuit in the corner of the room which had not been vacuumed up, a towel with a great big tear in it (I mean a giant fist sized hole), 6 cigarette butts and ash scattered over the ground on our balcony, a filthy vent in the bathroom and a used shower cap still hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I think I'll get a fresh one thanks! By the time we got to the bar for a drink and were faced with tables and tables covered with uncleared food and drink (with no change to this in over 20 minutes despite the rush of customers being well and truly over) we left to have a drink elsewhere. Housekeeping standards like this are just not OK.

3 Thank Julieh4662
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Hi Julieh4662,

We're pleased that you enjoyed the style of our hotel and our new Pool Pavilion suites, these have been really well received by all our guests.

The hotel is a 100% non smoking hotel, however as every room has a balcony, unfortunately some guests occasionally toss their butts over the edge. As a result, some may end up around the pool area. These public areas are cleaned and checked each morning and afternoon. I have spoken with housekeeping about your comments regarding the state of your room. Our process is that every room once cleaned is then checked by a supervisor to ensure our high standards are met. It is disappointing to hear that the room was in this unsatisfactory state.

We expect that any guest who found having found their room in the condition described would have called reception so that the the situation could be rectified immediately.

Understanding that you stayed on a Friday night, we are thrilled that we attract a large business audience to our live music sessions in the bar that runs from 5pm till 8pm, one of the only Brisbane hotels offering this. The music featured is by some of the best touring singles and duo artists in the country including Peter Cupples. This is generally seen as a value add, a cost to the hotel however a nice surprise for many of our guests. I am sorry you did not feel this way.
Julieh4662, myself and my team are always available to listen to any guest that may have an issue with their stay.

I encourage this so we have the opportunity to resolve any unfavourable situation on the spot and the guest can enjoy the remainder of their stay. Thank you for your comments and please do not hesitate to call the hotel and ask for me personally if you wish to discuss this further.

Kind regards
gold coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed here recently on a 'scoopon' deal on a two night stay. The room was a decent size with a very comfy bed and nice soft pillows. Excellent shower. Nice lobby area with papers and magazines to read. A short walk down the hill to Queen Street Mall the only downside of course you have to walk back up it although it is a fairly easy walk back up.
The car park is the not the greatest with lots of pillars and can be difficult to manoeuvre around. The only comment I would make is the lack of lighting in the room only bedside lights and a lamp on the desk.
Overall we had a pleasant stay and would probably stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thanks for your review suzieq100,

We're thrilled that you enjoyed the home away from home comfort of our hotel and that you were lucky enough to score one of our extra special rates.

Thanks for your feedback about the lighting Whilst we have an entry light, two desk lights and a standing lamp and LED lights in the bathrooms, the design of the room does not accommodate a light in the centre of the ceiling. This is currently being rectified through the installation of another light that will enhance the entire room.

We hope to welcome you back again next time you stay in Brisbane suzieq100.

Batemans Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have stayed at the Urban three times this year - the first visit was just fine and the staff were lovely. My second stay was in an adjoining room and the noise was really dreadful - not that the person next door was particularly loud - just the walls must be paper thin. I didn't get any sleep.

Stayed there again a couple of nights ago - the room was nice enough - very comfy beds. But this time round I think you can better value for money elsewhere. I couldn't get the aircon to heat the room enough for me and I was cold just sitting in the room - not nice.

As per my first visit I ordered a room service breakfast which arrived on time but stone cold - cold chewy bacon is not what I was expecting - really need to see an improvement on the 'a la carte' breakfast I ordered. This food was either take from a buffet to be delivered or else left to sit for too long before arriving in my room - either way below par. The hotel was fully booked and very busy - but really this shouldn't be something I need to take into consideration when staying there - the food and beverage team did not appear to be able to handle the amount of guests staying there.

I was there for a conference and neither our morning tea or afternoon tea arrived on time and the toasted sandwiches for morning tea were again cold - nothing says yuck like cold melted cheese and a thrown together plate of lacklustre toasted sammies.

The reception staff as always were very pleasant and that + the comfy beds is probably the best I can say about the Urban this time round. But really you can get that in plenty of other hotels in Brisbane. I wouldn't stay there if this was not booked through my work.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in an adjoining room .... don't bother with room service breakfast
Thanks for your review caite64,

We're pleased to hear that our warm and friendly staff have made you feel so welcome during each of your stays with us, and you have enjoyed our famously comfy Urban Snorer beds.

It's very disappointing to hear that you have experienced some noise issues during your stay and our food has not lived up to your expectations. We always encourage our guests to let us know if they are disappointed with any aspects of their stay so we have the opportunity to be able to rectify any issues. If you stay again, please contact me directly should you have any concerns.

Mandurah, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times and find the location very appealing however it is not in the center of the city but still in easy walking distance. On the plus side, the management appreciates returing guest with a small gift which is a nice touch. The staff is friendly and helpful on the reception as well as in the restaurant. The rooms are a decent size and most of them have balcony access with views towards the city. On the negative side are the very high internet charges and very slow speed with a download of 3.65 mbs and a capped download volume. This would need to changed as in todays world most hotels offer free internet access with unlimited downloads. If wou you need the internet for business as I do this is no longer acceptable. Another negative point is the cleanliness of the shower floor with discolored joints and the noise from the road can be bothersome.

Room Tip: Select high floors as the view towards the city is better.
Hi Paul I,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us so frequently for business, our friendly staff love welcoming back familiar faces, as well as new ones too.

It's great to hear that you enjoy our convenient location to the city and our spacious rooms. We are so sorry to hear that the quality of the shower has not always met your expectations. We really pride ourself on providing spotless rooms for our guests so please contact us directly at the front desk if your room is not up to our high standards, so that we can re-accommodate you where possible.

Thanks again Paul I, we look forward to welcoming you back again next time.

Belfast, N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I arrived at Hotel at 01:00 from the airport. Check in was painless and pleasant enough. Room was comfortable although a bit dim and I could not find the light switches. The girls on reception were great as were the two Glaswegian guys in the bar. I did not know my breakfast was included and I should have been given vouchers on arrival. Found this out on day 2 (of 3). To sort this out I was comped a dinner instead which was very acceptable.
All in all a comfortable, pleasant stay. Pity about the hill but I suppose that's a bit out of hotel's control. Handy for downtown, the station and Suncorp.
Really happy with all the staff I encountered, especially the young ladies on reception who were very friendly and helpful.
Apart from the cost, I would happily stay again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Thanks for your review GMcC_7,

We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed a comfortable stay and our convenient location. It's always nice to hear glowing feedback about our warm and welcoming staff, they certainly work very hard at earning this reputation.

We're glad to hear that they could sort out the minor glitch with your breakfast quickly and efficiently. Thanks for the feedback about the light switches too.

We look forward to welcoming you again, next time you are staying in Brisbane.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I,ve stayed at this hotel on many occasions due to a contract it has with my company.
It,s never a pleasure to stay here. Most rooms seem to have a paper thin adjoining door that allows you to hear every sound from the next room, including bodily functions.There are no ceiling lights, making it dark and gloomy, the toilets smell, and the shower always leaks.There,s also one senior desk staff manager who,s the most unpleasant man I,ve ever encountered in a hotel.

1 Thank aracana_1
Thanks for your feedback aracana_1,

We really pride ourself on providing a warm and welcoming 'home away from home' stay for our guests, so it's very disappointing to hear that our hotel hasn't met your expectations in this regard.

We generally receive glowing reports about how friendly and helpful our staff are. We would like to look into this further, so we welcome you to contact us at stay@hotelurban.com.au with more information. Or please ask for me in person next time you stay for business so that we can ensure that your experience is more enjoyable moving forward.

As with any hotel, we do experience leaking taps from time to time, however if there is a maintenance requirement in a room, we are very quick to rectify this, so it is alarming to hear that you have experienced this each time you have stayed with us. Once again, if you encounter any future problems, please contact myself or the front desk directly, so that we can move you to a more suitable room.