“customer Service not good.”

Hotel Urban Brisbane
Ranked #47 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 13 October 2013

On check in I was greeted Well not Greeted at all, the senior staff member from the word go did not smile at me once or give me a warm welcome. I did not like his manners or lack of them. We received our keys and briefly told where the car park was, it was a rabbit warren where you would not want to have a large car because there are posts everywhere which showed the battle scars of previous drivers. Then we had the fun of trying to find the lifts, well!! We were lucky there was another guest in the carpark who helped us out on this one.
We arrived in our room which we thought was ok, the air con was cold and nice, beds were lovely and soft, bathroom nice and new shower and surrounds. We did not like being on the first level as we like views, I rang reception to inquire about the change of rooms, but was told hotel was fully booked, which was ok.
The pool was quite hard to find, and i was quite embarrassed to find some very well dressed men in reception where i had to walk past them in my swimming attire to get to the pool.
Inside the rooms it states very severely that the hotel is completely smoke free, there were three butts floating in pool, most hotels are but smoking is allowed on balconies, but not here.
We noticed butts everywhere around near our courtyard, where guests in upper levels just threw them from their balconies.
I could not find a menu for restaurant included in guest services paper work, so I rang restaurant, where I was told that they do not have menus in rooms and I would have to come down and have a look. I would have expected this person to say something like " No problems I will bring one up for you straight away" we did not dine in the restaurant, we walked up the street and dined somewhere else.
Breakfast was interesting, a few cereals, some apple juice, milk and coffees from a machine we had no idea how to use.
The hot selection consisted of plates of eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, hash browns, mushrooms, and beans, which was adequate but the eggs were bought out three at a time. My husband had to go back three times, as we didnt want to empty the plate and look greedy. I think most men do eat three eggs for breakfast.The bacon was overcooked and must have been left in a hot box of some kind and was totally dried out, and very unappetizing.On check out the ruder chap was still there seeing to other guests and I was served by another staff member who was ok but still lacking a smiling demeanor, something I very much find is missing in the hospitality industry these days.
The next time we venture into the city we will give this place a miss..

Room Tip: Rooms facing east or south, on upper floors where balcony is included, courtyards offer no view at a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bronwyn H
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hello Bronwyn

Thanks for your review, I am very disappointed to hear that we didn’t live up to your expectations on this stay.

The customer service you experienced is certainly not the level we strive to provide and as you can see from the majority of our reviews, it’s definitely not the service our guests are used to receiving.

Yes the carpark can be quite challenging as there are some tight turns, however we are in the process of adding additional signage to make this easier to navigate. We are also working on a brand new breakfast concept, as we are finding that more and more guests prefer a modern café style breakfast menu and buffets are becoming a thing of the past.

Please accept my apologies that you did not have the usual fantastic Urban experience that we pride ourselves on providing.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Hotel Urban Brisbane

Reviewed 10 October 2013

In general this is a very nice hotel located on the edge of the CBD, only a short walk to the Brisbane Mall. Lots of restaurants to choose from and a short taxi ride to Southbank which is worth the drive.
There is a very nice alfresco bar and restaurant on the ground floor with a nice setting about it.......great coffee....friendly staff. Highly recommend.
The only thing I would pick is lighting in the rooms definitely needs improving and a fan in the bathroom would be handy.
I will definitely be returning...thank you to the friendly staff.
With frequent travel, it's a nice change

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Hi Michael

Thanks for your review, we're so glad to hear that you found Urban to be a refreshing change and we can't wait to welcome you back next time you're in town.

With regards to the room lighting, we are working on adding some additional lights so next time you stay with us you will notice the difference.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Forget the $300+ per night hyped hotels of Brisbane's centre, if you want a convenient city location, views across the city towers, easy access to an adjacent park for a morning run, friendly service and good facilities, all for a decent price, then check this place out. It is situated up on the hill on Wickham terrace, just a short 5 minute walk down Albert St to the city centre and next to the Roma St. Parklands. My room was on a corner and one side looked out across the city buildings and the other across the park to Mt Cootha. Staff were all helpful and the room service menu, although a bit limited in choice was very good quality. There is car parking that was included in my room rate - easy to get into the underground carpark but it is tight down there so brace yourself if you are driving big car. WiFi is available for a charge. I would stay here again should I need a hotel for business in the city centre and am interested in quality and value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the lovely review.

We're always happy to hear from delighted guests like yourself and it sounds like we have a new Urban fan, so come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Celebrated my 21st here on Saturday night in the Loft and had an absolutely fabulous time. All of the staff on the night were most helpful and the food was incredible. Kate was also delightful dealing with to organise everything. As well as the function I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 2 nights and there was ample space to spread out. The rooms are clean, tidy and everything worked how it was supposed to. The gazebo meals were also incredible and it was amazing that we got put into the green room on Friday night for dinner and Saturday morning for Breakfast. This is a great little area! It feels so private. I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel and because we had views of riverfire would stay here again for firework views.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amber K

Hey there Amber

Great to hear that your 21st went so well, the Loft is indeed a stunning venue for a party! The Green Room is also such a special place, sounds like you certainly celebrated the entire weekend in style.

I'll certainly share your glowing feedback with Kate and the team, they'll love to hear that they've made such a difference to your experience.

We hope we get to help you celebrate many more special occasions in future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My Husband and I stayed at hotel Urban for a weekend away and it was fantastic. We had a scoopon and upgraded to the king room which was 'Bondi Beach' themed. It was great! a bit different and very bright and colourful. We could access the pool and spa from our court yard which was very convenient for early morning swims. The hotel has a secure car park which is great and is only about a 5 minute walk to King George square. The staff were super friendly and very lovely which made our experience ever better!
Overall its a great place to stay for a weeknd away. Close to the city but away from all the noise.

Thanks Hotel Urban for a great weekend!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Hello Missy

It certainly does sound like you had a wonderful weekend, I'm so glad you got to experience one of our pool suites, they are perfect for enjoying some of that famous Brisbane sunshine!

Thanks for your lovely feedback on our friendly team, they'll all be happy to hear that you had such a great time with us.

We hope you'll come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Hey, after staying with you guys both Friday and Saturday nights just gone I wouldn't stay again;

Pro's; staff to the most point helpful, except checkin and my self working at a 4.5 star hotel know the value of explaining the smaller details like parking.

Cons; the parking I saw the sign you guys had for self rated worst parking and i under stood as soon as i got to the gate the idea of putting my sedan through that was interesting used my driving skills for that one..
The room was a bit average and im not sure how you guys honestly uphold a 4.5, with only lighting as lamps is worrying, not to take away it did the job but its a bit urban i guess lol next there was the bathroom over all nice and tidy setup but there was no exhaust fan that was noticeable to get rid of smells etc.
The buffet breakfast wasn't too bad but i didn't bother the second morning not enough choice as im not a cereal person so i was left a little unsatisfied.

Purely based on the ease of parking being quite difficult and the rooms not been quite wat is put forward as most websites do these days my partner and i would choose differently next time.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi Matty

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t have the great Urban experience that most of our guests do, but thanks for the feedback as we’re always keen to improve the way we do things.

Our carpark can be tricky to manoeuvre in some areas, it’s a difficult thing to fix due to structural issues but we are improving the directional signage to make it a little easier. I’m also happy to advise that we are in the process of adding additional lighting to all our rooms, so a much brighter future is on the way!

We try to keep our buffet selection quite simple for those that want a quick and easy breakfast, but our a-la-carte menu has 10 yummy breakfast dishes to choose for those that want lots more choice.

Thanks for staying with us and we’re sorry we didn’t meet your expectations this time.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel often for business and am always glad to arrive here. The decor is fresh and welcoming with lovely touches such as a tray of various fragrances and a big bowl of apples situated at reception for guests, make you feel at home. The pool area is contemporary and imaginative and the bar area looking out over Wickham Terrace onto the park is a lovely place to unwind. We arrived into town late on my last trip and the bar was closing but the staff were happy for us to pre pay for our drinks and left them for us whilst we finished checking in to our rooms. The can- do attitude of the staff always impresses. I was slightly disappointed with the breakfast buffet, it may be better on weekends but on a Wednesday there was very limited choice. The house granola in the packet is delicious ,however and the ness presso help yourself bar a godsend for caffeine addicts. Overall a great little hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies overlooking the pool are always my favourite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Hello Colleen,

Thanks for your review and for choosing to stay at Urban regularly – our team loves welcoming back familiar faces. It's always nice to hear that our little extras don't go un-noticed. We are always trying to think of new ways to surprise our guests with things that make us more than your usual hotel.

Sorry to hear that our breakfast wasn't up to your expectations, we are working on a new breakfast menu at the moment so I hope you will find it more to your liking next time you stay with us.

Thanks again Colleen, we look forward to seeing you next time you’re in town.

Kind regards,