“"Sweet"s are great, hotel rooms are not, service leaves something to be desired.”

Hotel Urban Brisbane
Ranked #42 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, QLD
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Where to start. My DH and I wanted a nice weekend away. It was the only holiday we were getting this year so we figured we'd splurge and, based on the positive recommendations on this site (thanks guys:)), we decided to give Urban a go. Recommendation from the parents had us booking a "Sweet" (their version of a suite) instead of a hotel room - first good decision on our part. The Sweet was awesome, very comfortable, gorgeous view, and for the price of a regular hotel room in the fancy hotels downtown, we had entertaining space with a lounge room and a generous balcony. By contrast, friends of ours booked a "hotel room" for one night at the same time as us. Very standard, little balcony, and worst of all air-con that didn't work. Unfortunately when they called down to reception for a solution after we got back from a fabulous night out, around 10:30pm, the only suggestion offered was to turn off the air-con and open the balcony door - not happy Jan.

Hands down, this place has THE best beds I've ever slept in - almost worth any other issue - absolutely wonderful.

Can't say as friendly things about breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The first morning we just went elsewhere once we got a look at the buffet. Clearly not getting alot of turn over (there was a overcooked skin on the scrambled eggs to give you an idea). Second morning we tried for a la carte in the restaurant to accommodate our travelling companions. Hideous mistake. 45 mins after ordering, still didn't have our simple cooked breakfast - and there were only a dozen people in the restaurant, perhaps 3 of whom had ordered food from what we could tell. When the meal finally arrived after chasing it up, it was wrong and missing items. Meals were returned, still wrong. On the third go my DH gave up and asked to cancel the order and get the money back. To their credit there were apologies and the meal was comped for my DH only (my meal came out mostly edible on the second go so we just left it at that). All in all, wouldn't bother again.

Last gripe, and this is a bit 70/30. The front desk staff seemed totally ill equipped to handle a customer query or heaven forbid a complaint. It just looked like a training issue, but wasn't great. Having said that, the staff on the Sunday morning checkout were lovely and clearly doing their best. Compliments to them, but the rest have some catching up to do. Pity - we were really keen to enjoy this place.

Oh- and one last giggle - that car park is the most entertaining thing we've ever seen. Thanks to recommendations on this website, both us and our companions chose our vehicles carefully. Thank goodness - I can't imagine how a 4WD would have done in that maze. Great if you enjoy video games - of course in real life you only get expensive repairs when you take out support poles:).

All in all, I'd go again, but only to stay in a suite, and wouldn't choose to eat in the restaurant. We provided honest feedback on the experience of ourselves and our companions, so hopefully there will be further improvements in service in the long run.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
sasfrazer, Brand Manager - Urban Hotel Group at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
Hi Ceal,

That's the first review that has made me laugh today. So thankyou :)

Glad you enjoyed the Sweet Urbans. As you mentioned, these are terrific value for money. While the standard hotel rooms are def not a Sweet Urban, they still come with all the mod cons of a great property. I know though, that your friends once they saw the Sweet would have been jealous. It's really the way with upgrades and we have a limited number.

Brekky - I'm very sorry. This sounds like a really laborious experience, which is so rare for our Hotels. I am not sure what was going on at the time, and really, it doesn't matter. This should not have happened and I apologise and am really happy that this didn't sour your trip. Last time I was up there I had the hard boiled eggs with toy soldiers and it was delicious. I really hope you come back and get to have a great brekky experience like I had.

Our Front Desk staff are constantly being trained so I'm also surprised that our complaint handling procedures weren't up to scratch when you were in house. We have a lot of layers of management and support to assist with this flow of information, so I will make sure that we have a good look at this and make any amendments necessary to improve this for yourself and other future guests.

Our beds - The Urban Snorer, are insanely good. I sleep sprawled across a King Sized at home.

On a final note, the carpark. Sometimes, with buildings, you look at the way things have been designed and think, wow. That 'wow' can either be a great thing, because the innovative design rocks your world, or it can be a moment where you turn your head to the side and think, far out, that's an interesting take on how to design a space.

Needless to say, our carpark at Brissy is a head turner :) We have it well lit, and well sign posted and, fingers crossed, we haven't had any bumps or bruises to vehicles in there. As you alluded to everyone just takes it nice and easy in there.

We'd really like to see you again, so please join us next time you're in Brissy. In fact, shoot me an email and I'd love to offer you a good deal :) I know what it's like to only get one holiday a year.

Urban Hotel Group

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Indonesian first
NSW
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We enjoyed every meal we had 2 x brekky and 2 x dinner. The staff were all young and pleasant with a helpful attitude. The place is clean and comfortable and should give the big fancy hotels down town a run for their money. The beds were very comfortable. We have a large car and the only negative would be the parking is difficult with a big 4x4. Its a great spot will stay again..

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
sasfrazer, Brand Manager - Urban Hotel Group at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Dear Franxton,

I am really happy that you had a great stay.

The staff are a great bunch and all seem to genuinely enjoy their work which is a rare find in the hospitality field.

Urbans are built to be a home away from home, so I'm glad that this is translating across to our guests - you are why we exist!

I've got a 4x4 too. All I'll say is now my parking in Sydney is perfect after the precision driving that I've done in that car park!!!!

Thanks again and we'd love to have you back.

Brisbane
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I chose the Urban Brisbane because it was newly renovated. The rooms were very modern, the balcony was cozy and the car parking was included as was the breakfast. I wanted some time with a special man and the Urban made that possible. The staff were very friendly. We loved the Robes & Slippers..We felt like Brad & Angelina..! We are coming back again soon.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Samjelina,

Thankyou for a lovely review. Brissy is such a great place to chill with your partner. Quiet and the pool at the hotel is awesome.

I'd love to send you some slippers(bet that'll make two pairs because you've probably got your first set under your bed at home :) ) and a robe so you can feel like superstars while you relax in your own loungeroom.

sas@hotelurban.com.au

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We got married in Brisbane in early May and stayed at the Urban for a couple of nights, as did most of our interstate guests as we now live in Adelaide. The location of this hotel whilst not in the heart of the city, is a short 5 minute downhill walk into town and there is a free shuttle bus if you are feeling lazy (or can't face the uphill walk back!). We booked it as it overlooks the Roma St Parklands, which is where we had our wedding ceremony.
The hotel has recently been refurbished so the rooms inside are modern and new, and most have great views of the city and the Parklands. We ate quite often from the restaurant and room service, and every time the food was great! We invited our guests to have breakfast with us the morning after the wedding, and the Urban agreed to keep the buffet open for an extra hour, as well as opened up an extra section for us all to sit together. In fact we asked the Urban for quite few things from different staff and every time they were friendly and accommodating, and seemed to enjoy being able to help! Not only could we not fault our stay, but several of our guests commented at what a lovely hotel it is and how great the staff were.
At a time when we had plenty of things to do and organise and think about, we were glad that our stay at Urban Brisbane was so comfortable, enjoyable and hassle-free. We will definitely return!
The only negative feedback I could give is the carpark - it is extremely tight with pylons everywhere! It is a maze to get through so be prepared! Or park on the street.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank eljay78
Dear Eljay,

One of the best reviews that a hotel could possibly hope to receive would have to be from a groom saying that the Hotel was a relaxing experience during his wedding!

We all know how hectic weddings are and it takes a great Hotel team to keep up with the pace when it's all systems are go with this type of group. I'm really proud of our guys and delighted that this was your experience with us.

We'd love to have you back at some point, maybe for an anniversary! We have a hotel in Melbourne too so if you are ever in the area, drop me an email and I'll help you out.

sas@hotelurban.com.au

Sunshine Coast
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I arrived At the Hotel, and told my room was not quite, ready the receptionist, then said nothing else for about a minute as i stood there wondering what was going on. Presumebly she was finding me a clean room. But some adknowledgement well i stood there would of been nice. The room was new and nice, if not a little on the cramped side. And the food down stairs was decent enough, maybe a little pricey. Was suprised to find the hotel did not provide any room service after 10 pm, and was told to go for a walk. Also in order to find a receptionist at the hotel, you best bet is checking the bar where they were often involved in chit chat. Overall for the price the hotel is trying to present itself as something it is clearly not. And some staff training would be nice.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank wearytraveller24
Dear Weary Traveller,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how your stay was.

I'm not sure regarding the checkin experience, however this sounds like you may have arrived before regular checkin time. Sorry about the lack of contact by the staff member. There is a fair bit of computer work to be done when needing to reallocate rooms for early arrivals, but a smile wouldn't have gone astray! We'll bring this up at our next meeting to make sure the front desk guys are paying even closer attention.

We'll also have a little session about the importance of being at the front desk. We've done a lot of additional training since our 6 month opening mark when you were in house last year, so I trust that a lot of these issues will have been resolved.

We'd love to have you back, as you said the rooms are great (good to know that $15 million is shining through in the renovation!).

nth brisbane
Reviewed 28 February 2009

This is an old hotel that has been renovated ,so the rooms are a bit smaller ,but have been tastefully renovated.Very comfy king bed.Aircon did struggle abit as mentioned in previous reviews.Also carpark is tight for larger vehicles.Staff failed to deliver local sunday paper which was ordered on saturday check in.Staff were friendly ,courteous and offered free parking at hotel whilst we perused markets.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 February 2009

We were driving through Brisbane on our way down to Byron Bay and decided to call it a night around 8pm on a Saturday night. I called a bunch of hotels that were all full and was recommended to the Urban because they had 24 hour reception (very hard to find in AU). The woman who answered the phone gave me directions which were perfect and easy to follow. Then, upon check-in, she gave us free parking and free breakfast the next day! I guess she could tell we were weary travelers! I believe her name was Belinda and she was an absolute doll.

The hotel was very nice- it looked like a modern, swanky 4 star hotel that you'd see in London or a W in Los Angeles and was a great price for what we got. The renovations look fantastic and the rooms were clean, well lit and appointed, and we had a very comfortable night and morning. Breakfast was also delicious- I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel although I can agree that the parking garage is a bit strange. You have to be focused trying to navigate through the poles!

Highly rec'd!