“Just Ok, but very pricey place to stay”

George Williams Hotel
Ranked #77 of 170 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I found the hotel to be an okay place. The room was very small but it was clean. Unfortunately they didn't have a twin bed room so another bed had to be brought in..
We were running out of accommodation options at 1am in the morning so we had to pay $155 and another $15 to park the car.
It was a little troublesome to see the receptionist was smoking outside the hotel.
Location is main feature going for it as it right in the heart of the city..
We doubt that we will stay here again..

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozzietripper

Reviewed 21 September 2008

stayed here with my sister after just arriving from singapore to oz. when we arrived it was early in morning and we were very tired and a room was available straight away at no extra cost which was great. room was very small but spotlessly clean and ac in room made it more comfortable. staff were very friendly and available 24/7 for advice. adjoining bar/restaurant was nice with friendly staff only down side was waiting time for food but that could be down to the more relaxed atmosphere down ere in oz! overall happy to stay here for short period and price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sin2bad
Reviewed 31 January 2008

Stayed in the George William hotel in Jan only innately for 3 nights but when arrived and found it to be very close to CBD and other shops and also the Brisbane Transit Centre we decided to stay for the week. The room was very clean even tho it was a bit small we managed. The hotel staff were helpful. Was helpful that it had a laundry room with a washer and dryer only priced at $3 each. Very enjoyable stay in Brisbane.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justmeManchester
Reviewed 4 September 2007

I recently stayed here as I could not move in to my apartment when I arrived in Brisbane. I paid 120 dollars australian per night for a queen room.

All in all , it is a budget hotel which is centrally located on George Street, quite close to Queen Street Mall and all the shops and restaurants. Also not far from Roma Street Train Station. There is also a cinema and convenience stores directly opposite. A 24/7 convenience store is also 2 doors away.

I stayed in a Queen Room which had a bed, table, couple of chairs and two wardrobes. It is big enough for up to 2 people. Bathrom en suite with shower. TV on wall.

The room is quite basic in terms of furnishings but very clean, The cleaners were all very helpful and hardworking from what I saw. I saw teh inside of some of the other rooms and they did seem very small indeed.

The gym is actually quite good spread out on 2 floors. It is a YMCA gym but guests do not pay.

Wireless broadband is available but you have to pay. 2hr slots cost about 8 australian dollars, but you can log on and off.

My only gripe would be that the aircon is fierce and a little noisy. The room can get quite cold. They do provide little heaters if you need them.

In my experience, the staff were very helpful and cheery.

If you are looking for a centrally located budget hotel in a city in which hotel prices are quite inflated, then this is okay. It is not the sort of hotel that you would want to spend all day in , but as a base, perfectly fine.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
10  Thank hemikiwi
Reviewed 26 July 2007

My partner and I stayed at this hotel on 13th July - Black Friday it was!

We fully expected the room to be what it was for the price - it was clean and acceptable. But! after coming back late from dinner we found the room was very cold - no heating and with cool air being pumped in to the room. Tired after six hrs drive, we thought we would snuggle up and try and get warm - impossible. The next morning, I complained to the supervisor downstairs who told me that they have a regular that actually likes and asks for that same room all the time and they just give him a little fan heater and he is happy -I said 'well if you knew the room was cold-why did you not give us guests the same heater or leave it in the room' to which she replied - 'well why didn't you call reception' -she was rude and blunt and really did not want to know about my problem - I backed down as it was not going to be pretty and I could see there would be no acknowledgment by this woman, of my cold night experience so I will just not return and never recommend this hotel to anyone ever again. I have also phoned the Brisbane information centre to advise them of my experience.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissCroc
Reviewed 16 June 2007

I found the hotel to be an okay place. The room was small but it was clean. My main complaint was the fact that it was very loud in terms of hall noise. You could hear slamming at all times of the night. I guess that is standard in a hotel however. I thought the price was a little expensive for what you got. The front desk staff was excellent though. Very friendly! I don't know enough about Brisbane to judge the neighborhood quality, but the location was very close to the Queen street mall and bus stops.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank sctraveler
Reviewed 3 June 2007

The hotel is very close to the train station, in a slightly rundown area, but it's close to the Queen Street mall. The place was clean, but the room was TINY, could barely fit 2 adults and our luggage in. The front desk staff was not very knowledgeable about Brisbane and the gym was below average (by American standards). The equipment was old and the staff was surly.

Not a bad place, but if I ever go back to Brisbane I'll probably try somewhere a little more interesitng.

Stayed: May 2007