“Great Location and Great Price”

George Williams Hotel
Ranked #63 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Townsville, Queensland
“Great Location and Great Price”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Clean and reasonably priced hotel which is within walking distance to all Brisbane's inner city areas. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Indonesian first
Travelling NZ/Aus
Reviewed 20 August 2009

The Hotel George Williams is in the perfect location, situated close to both the Transit Centre and Queens St, the main shopping area. Walk over the Victoria Bridge to get to the beautiful South Bank, Botanical Gardens and museums and art galleries.

The rooms are basic and perhaps a little dated, but spotlessly clean and comfortable. Service was very good, and I found it to be very good value. Just be aware that the walls are quite thin so you can hear your neighbour if they happen to be particularly inconsiderate.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
New Zealand
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Excellent value for money. Centrally located and only a five minute walk from the Roma Transit train station. Good service, easy to find, very clean and perfect for a short stay in Brisbane. Rooms a little small so maybe not so great for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over a weekend at the end of February after booking at the last minute via Wotif - bargain rate of A$80 per night.
The hotel was in a good location, minutes walk to Queen St Mall and the Transit Centre. The room, on eight floor, was very small and basic, but clean and comfortable and met all my needs. The bathroom was also small and basic. The decor was a bit tired and outdated in my opinion.
The hotel appears to be aligned to the YMCA.
Staff were helpful and friendly.
I had breakfast one morning in the attached cafe - it was reasonable value. There is also Internet available via a couple of terminals in the cafe.
Overall, this hotel is well situated - I got the Airport Shuttle bus to and from Brisbane Airport - it drops off & collects you from across the road from the hotel.
I felt at the price I paid, this hotel was good value for money and I would stay again at that rate, but at a higher rate, I would expect more and probably choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank louise_ar
Malaysia
Reviewed 2 October 2008

I was flying into Brisbane from Singapore and called them to say I'd be arriving early in the morning and would like to have our room ready early. When we arrived the guy at the front desk told us check-in time is 2pm onwards so we can go into our room after 2pm, and told us we could leave our luggage if we wanted to walk around the city. We were not happy, tired after our flight especially as we had called beforehand to say when we'd be arriving. When I mentioned that we had called to warn about the early arrival he said "I haven't been informed of that" in a 'couldn't care less' kind of attitude just because our msg hadn't been passed on. We didn't appreciate the attitude, but NEVERTHELESS he did let us into our room immediately.

The staff really weren't very nice or friendly, throughout our stay only one or two of the staff members were friendly and helpful.

I expected the rooms to be small from the reviews on Trip Advisor, and they really were VERY small. We paid AUD$165 a night I believe for a triple share, which seemed to be best bet for a hotel with good location in Brisbane city with a 3-star rating. Our room had a double and a single and we had to arrange where our suitcases went so that we had a walking path from the single bed in the corner of the room to the bathroom. The room does meet your basic needs; minuscule TV, mini fridge, kettle, etc so it was acceptable and comfortable enough for 3 nights. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room; it was made to be disabled-friendly so it was big and comfortable.

Wireless internet service was good, buy a password at the front desk and use your laptop in room, good connection speed.

Location was really good too, right next to a 7-eleven if you need drinks and snacks, and they have their own cafe if you want to buy yourself a meal. We had breakfast one morning at their cafe and it was not bad. A 2-3 minute walk to Queen Street Mall and the main shopping/dining area in the CBD.

I believe we stayed on the 6th floor which had a laundry room (not sure if all the floors have one). It has an iron and ironing board, and we also used the coin operated machines to do our laundry, detergent was provided. However it was AUD$3 for the washer and another AUD$3 for the dryer, which is quite steep really. (In my country that would be about 18 Malaysian Ringgit which could pay for a laundry service to wash, dry and fold about 8kgs of laundry for you!)

We also rented a car, and getting to the car park was a bit of a hassle; someone at the front desk told us to go around the hotel and enter the first alleyway to get to the hotel car park, and it really was a TINY alleyway and we missed it the first time we went around. When we entered the car park we realised the alley is only wide enough for one car, so if someone was coming OUT of the alley while we were entering we don't know how we'd both fit really! Someone would probably need to back out and make way for the other driver to go first, but I guess the alley doesn't get alot of activity so the possibility of 2 cars clashing to need alley space at the same time is less likely.

I also wanted to use the gym that was downstairs from the hotel, and I looked at the opening hours but when I went there on a Sunday a girl who worked at the gym told me that it was now detached from the hotel so hotel guests need to pay a per entrance fee to use the gym (I think it was about AUD$10). And then she said that they were going to have an activity for their members that day and then lockup immediately after so I wasn't allowed to use the equipment. So basically I was disappointed I didn't get to have a workout.

When I surveyed around for hotels in Brisbane CBD this one seemed like the best bet, the room was comfortable enough if you look at it in a cosy kind of way, but very uncomfortable if you don't like small rooms. I think if I get to Brisbane again I would probably pay a little more and try another hotel and get a bigger room.

• Liked — Big bathroom, Good Wireless Internet connection
  • Disliked — small room, unfriendly staff
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank doublezeezee
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I found the hotel to be an okay place. The room was very small but it was clean. Unfortunately they didn't have a twin bed room so another bed had to be brought in..
We were running out of accommodation options at 1am in the morning so we had to pay $155 and another $15 to park the car.
It was a little troublesome to see the receptionist was smoking outside the hotel.
Location is main feature going for it as it right in the heart of the city..
We doubt that we will stay here again..

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the cost
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank ozzietripper

Travellers are raving about these Brisbane hotels