“Simple and Easy”

George Williams Hotel
Ranked #64 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a concert i was going to on the 11.3.2010,and must admit although not flashy by any means,it was a very nice little hotel non the less.5-10 minutes walk from Southbank,Casino and CBD,plus maybe a 10 minute walk to Roma St Station.Simply furnished,but oh so easy,would diffently stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank bigrockinguy

Reviewed 15 March 2010

I recently stayed in a queen deluxe room at the hotel george williams with my partner while in town for a wedding. The room cost $110 per night and was sufficient for all our needs. The queen sized bed was comfortable and the room also had a chair, two bedside tables, a mini fridge, a desk, a small flatscreen tv and a window (with a view of a brick wall). The bathroom was nice with a shower, basin and toilet (although a bit cramped). The room was clean and modern.

The staff were friendly and allowed looked after our luggage for us after we had checked out, as we had a few hours to wait around.

The location of the hotel was great, just a short walk to restaurants, cafes, pubs and the main shopping strip of brisbane.

We ate a meal in the restaurant which was quite nice, although not fantastic, and the wait staff were a bit disorganised and not very professional.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for short stays in the brisbane cbd, as a cheap, comfortable and good value (but very basic) hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ela A
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I have travelled extensively across Australia over the last 30 years on business and stayed in hundreds of hotels and motels. I have never experienced a hotel like this one.

Firstly , the rooms , so small I could hardly move. I shared the "Queen Deluxe" with my female partnet and we kept bumping into each other trying to get in and out of the bathroom and around the bed. to sit on the toilet I had to duck my head to avoid the towel rack. The shower cubicle was , however , quite generous, about half the size of the whole unit. The unit was dingy , dark and stuffy. The airconditioner didn't work and we hardly slept because of the uncomfortable bed.

Then there was the restaurant. It was something else.It was a Monday night and we went down to dinner at 7.30pm. As soon as we sat down we were subjected to " Russian" supervisors autocratic behaviour - "You vill do as I say attitude". She told us that the restaurant kitchen was closing at 8.0 pm and we had to order quickly. We enquired as to where it was advertised that the restaurant closed early on Monday nights and she advised that it was on the Menu. We asked if we could see the menu and discovered that it was not there. Then the arguments began. We ordered our meal via a gentle little waitress who had just commenced work there and who was being coached by the Russian. She was terrified. My meal was ok but my partner's did not resemble anything like that described on the Menu. An argument ensued about the meal - sun-dried tomatoes vs fried tomatoes - spinach vs beans. Then there was was the 20% discount for in house guests. What a debacle of a night. All the while as we were trying to eat the meal "The Russian" was banging chairs everywhere. She was intent on making her point regardless of our concerns. She said to my partner that "she could buy her and spit her out". We went back to our rooms feeling sick. All we wanted to do was get out of the place . I will never , never, never stay at this dog of a place again and I would advise that any travellers carefully consider my comments.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank piscesccc
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I chose this location based on its location to Queen St Mall, price and reviews on TripAdvisor.

Check in was efficient.

The room allocated to me was terrible. Although I expected a small room, it was really tiny, just fitted a double bed and 2 side tables.

The walls were really thin and I could hear my neighbours swearing the whole night. I could also hear toilets flushing.

The doors are designed with a door closer and it banged very very loudly each time somebody open the door. I could hear doors closing/banging loudly the whole night almost on the entire floor. It was a sleeplessness night and it is unlikely I will stay at this place. I felt really uncomfortable and unsafe as there were a lot of young men wandering (and swearing) from room to room (they were probably with a group).

It had a good location in that it was only 2 blocks from Queen St Mall, but nothing else to shout about. At the time I was there they had a special 20% discount for meals at their restaurant but I did not use it. They also had the airport bus located at the bus stop opposite the hotel ($24 return trip).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Love_Life_Sydney
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Great location, small room but adequate for one person, you do not hear traffic noise however the walls are thin. Had to go downstairs to pay for the room service meal, then it was a while until I got it. The steak was good though and a complimentary glass of wine due to delay. The best thing is the location otherwise for $10 to $20 more a night you can get a better quality room elsewhere in Brisbane.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2009

After a terrible first night at another hotel, we booked into the George Williams for a two-night stay. Our initial room was an upgraded queen which was very small and dark. However, when I asked the reception clerk, Philippa, if there was anything else, she assigned us a deluxe queen with a veranda that while not upgraded was much better. The room was small, but with the veranda and a table to sit at, was more than adequate for our needs. Also, we preferred the older rooms coziness to the newer rooms starkness. The housekeeping was immaculate and the reception service friendly. We ate at the restaurant next door on our last night and found it to be good but not great. The best thing about this hotel was its location just a couple of block from the Queen Street Mall and transportation. While not cheap (A$145), we got good value and location for our money.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We stayed for 4 nights. Our room was not as small as we had expected after reading the reviews, so we were very pleased. The room was extremely clean & was cleaned very well while we were there. Hotel Staff very nice & the food in the restaurant was good.
Thanks very much. Enjoyed our stay, would definatley stay again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple