“Okay accommodation, but beware of the location”

Bridgewater Apartments
Ranked #26 of 62 Brisbane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2007

I have stayed in Brisbane before, but chose to stay in a serviced apartment this time as my stay was a mix of business and pleasure, and I wanted someplace where I could make some of my own meals...but also have some of the comforts of a hotel.

The Bridgewater seemed to be a good fit, and a good value at the time of my booking. However, I was disappointed in my stay. Less so because of the accommodation, and it is a shame to ding the apartment -- but I found that Kangaroo Point is not a nice place to stay for those not interested in the big night life scene.

As far as the Bridgewater went, the rooms reminded me of a college dorm or a bachelor's apartment -- they could use a face lift. We had a studio with a nice dining screened-in area that was a bit like a balcony. Lots of light and windows. The bed was uncomfortable, and drawer and hanging storage was very limited, although there were a lot of shelves. The kitchen was well-outfitted (dishwasher, oven, cooktop and microwave as well as a fridge), and there was a laundry in the room. The apartment supplied utensils and pots and pans and also laundry detergent and dish soap. Fresh towels were supplied daily.

Here are my complaints about the area: there are NO decent markets within walking distance of the apartment -- there are three convenience stores which carry staples but little in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables. A loaf of bread that I bought was bad by the second day. So while the kitchen was nice enough, there was no place to buy things.

Secondly, there were quite a few bars/pubs -- great if you are planning a big night out, but if you just want a quiet meal, it's not quite the thing.

There is decent public transportation from here, if you don't mind walking between 500 meters - kilometer to a ferry. The ferries will take you in to Brisbane or South Bank, and there's a bus line that will take you to Woolloongabba or New Farm that isn't too far. If you've got a car, perhaps you'd be better here.

In summary, Brisbane is one of my most favorite cities, but Kangaroo Point was just depressing. And that isn't the Bridgewater's fault...but it is where the apartments are located.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 6 January 2007

My partner's band did a gig in the Brisbane CBD, so he, myself, and another couple drove around to find accommodation as "walk-ins". We found that most hotels and serviced apartments were fully booked. We were lucky to have gotten a 2 bedroom apartment at Quest Bridgewater, for a fantastic price. The apartment was quite nice, I'd say it was 3-4 stars, decor-wise. It had a large balcony, a lounge area and reasonably large kitchen. I unfortunately came down with a heavy flu and decided to catch the ferry into the city to go to a medical centre. It was a hassle, but if I'd been more relaxed and in company, it would have been a novel and relaxing short ferry ride. I did feel that the apartments were a bit isolated, and for our purposes, it would have been better if we were right in the CBD. However you cant fault this place for value for money. It was clean and the apartment was large and nice. Thumbs up.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank MidnightMint
Reviewed 1 November 2005

Have just returned from a short break in Brisbane. Had booked a 2 bed apartment a month or so before departure and were kindly upgraded to a 3 bed on the 11th floor without being asked! The unit itself was a little dated and stuffy (at first) but had everything that myself, husband and daughter could need. The views of the river were fantastic. The pool was good and quite big by comparison to other hotels in the area. Staff were helpful. There didnt seem to be too many people around as we had the pool to ourself a lot of the time. Kangaroo Point is a bit charmless and I was amazed that there wasnt a decent supermarket around considering the high density of population, just 2 very expensive corner stores. I took advantage of Quests Pantry shopper service, but note it costs $15 on top of the groceries, still a better option than using the 2 shops. All in all, a great place, we moved up the road to The Point for the weekend but wished we'd stayed at Quest

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank Tan_7
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 February 2004

The Quest Bridgewater was a fantastic place to stay in Brisbane. We stayed in a 2-bedroom deluxe apartment for AU$200/night in July 2003 (4 adults). The Bridgewater is right on the river and close to downtown (great walking paths along the river). The apartment was large, very clean (maid service every day), beautifully furnished, with a full kitchen and full-size washer & dryer. Driving in/out was a little tricky due to all the one-way streets, but the staff was very helpful in pointing us in the right direction. We will definitely stay here again.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member